UPDATED!!!Huge Blow up at Radio Shack over coupon!

RH

Enlightened
It seems like I'm having more problems lately. I recently got the $5 Radio Shack coupon and thought I would use it to stock up on some N batteries for my new toy from Jets22. Two of my friends and I went shopping at the mall and I asked them each to buy me 2 packs of the N battery. The coupon was limited to 1 per person. We hadn't been going in multiple times or abusing the priveledge. We were each going to use one coupon and our total for 4 batteries would be around $1.25 each person.

Let me break in my story to say I know we've talked before about not taking advantage of specials or other offers but I don't think we were abusing this special. I do a lot of business there and having two other people with me use a coupon I didn't think was out of line.

The person waiting on us was the store manager, a middle age man with a 19 year serivce pin. When I told him I had the coupon, he looked at it and said that it was only good on one item. So he gave me a choice. I could get one pack for free or I could get both and get the one for free and pay $2.99 for the other. I said I guess I would just take the one then. Well, I guess this was the wron answer.

He started to unload. Some highlights are:

"We're in business to make money, not give stuff away."

"God forbid you spend any money!"

"Just go home and print more coupons."

I was stunned. It was the worst scene I've ever seen in a store. And the store was very full with customers and quite a few of his associates. When he was all done with his rant, I asked him for his business card and the name and number of the district manager.

I was so humiliated. Like I said, I do a lot of business w/ RS and I've never seen a customer be belittled so much by an employee.

Just wanted to vent.

Robert

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Huge Blow up at Radio Shack over coupon!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
i just used the coupon today and the cashier did not seem to be please at all. but i got my stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

anyway, if i were in your shoes, i would just say "cut the crap man, you gave me the choices and i choose one already. beside, there is nothing in the coupon that said only good for one item. It also valids for items less than the value"
but anyway, i would be humiliated too if i were you, man. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
it was just so rude of him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

CNC Dan

Enlightened

I made two purchases at two RS stores and both times the sales people were cool. One even said " that's a good deal!" when I handed him the coupon.

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast

I grew up with RadioShack, and even worked there. Now days I think the new slogan "you have questions we have answers" is the biggest farce yet. Used to be that people that worked there knew elcetronics, and the other items they sale. Now most of them don't even know how to figure their commision, or figure out that if RS was losing money on these promotions, they would go out of business. It goes to the commision thing. Most people there don't see customer service as the predominet factor, but rather the commisions, and they take it personally if you don't buy that top of the line surround sound. Or if you don't buy the bs answers they try to give you just to make a sale.
So I would have to say now that if you have questions, don't go to RS.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

Where can I find this coupon? I'd like to **** my R/S people off.

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've worked in retail ALOT and one thing , to this day that I don't understand is why retail employees resent customers getting a good deal. Like if a customer buys a fax machine and it breaks a year and a half later so the customer brings it back, talks to the manager and gives the customer a new fax. After an event like this in an officemax I worked at (this may happen once or twice a month or something similar) all the employees would be in a petty, retarded buzz about how the customer was a con artist, or a prima donna or etc. Almost as though they personally were slighted by the manager making the customer happy. Many , Many situations where returns cashiers smell something a little fishy and make a big stink and act all indignant etc. Even if the customer was a flat out conman/criminal with a t-shirt printed with his wanted poster on it and he has everything required for the refund, then shut the hell up, put a smile on your face and give the guy his refund. Retail is hard and thankless and people are rude frequently (any of you out there who get on cell phones when being waited on deserve to be knocked upside the head with a pipewrench). But there is no reason to act as though a customer has slighted you when using a coupon, requesting a refund, enjoying a freebie, asking a bunch of questions and buying nothing or a number of other things that often evokes holier than thou reactions from retail personel.

paulr

Flashaholic

It was on radioshack.com but expired today. I didn't get around to printing it out and trying to use it. It did seem a little bit poorly thought out, basically $5 of anything you wanted, for free, and you could print it as many times as you wanted if you had multiple RS stores in your area.

In the old days RS used to have regular giveaways but they were always for specific items (flashlights, batteries). I went there with the coupons many times and was cheerfully given the free stuff without any pressure to buy anything (it may have helped that I was grade school age when this was going on). But I always assumed that the local stores were being reimbursed by corporate headquarters back in Texas for the coupons. This new thing does sound like a mandated giveaway by the local stores so I'm unsurprised that they don't like it.

I still have one of their free 4C flashlights around somewhere. It was actually a pretty decent light, with a large (3") smooth reflector and considerable throw. They gave those away a number of times. Earlier still, they gave away 5D lights, but those weren't so well made. I had a couple of those too but they're long gone.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I used to work for Tandy selling their SCO point of sell system to retailers in middle Tennessee. When they closed the computer division down I worked in a Radio Shack retail store while I was looking for a real job. The retail sales people back then anyway didn't make squat. Maybe five dollars an hour at best. Be kind to your local Radio Shack employees, because in reality they are pretty much volunteers.

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast

A few days ago I went into a RS to buy some bulbs. Usually I have my catalog with me with the item number circled to save time, but this time I forgot to bring the catalog. I asked the manager if I could see the store copy and he told me that RS no longer prints a catalog. I asked how I was supposed to find the things I needed and all he could say was that he could probably find something that would work. This is a big mistake and it's really going to cost them.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
xochi said:
(any of you out there who get on cell phones when being waited on deserve to be knocked upside the head with a pipewrench).

[/ QUOTE ] My register transactions consist of swiping cc or handing over cash, grabbing my change, receipt and bag, then getting the hell out of there. I can manage the phone at the same time. If I'm doing something that requires conversation, I don't talk on the phone.

Most of the time it's high school kids who don't give a rip anyway. Either way, I could care less. I'm not the one being paid to be courteous and take money. Don't like me on the phone? Get another job. I don't care for idle chatter with cashiers, or anybody for that matter.

14C

Enlightened

I worked at a RAT SHACK for a couple of years in HS.

I try to avoid them unless I know the people who run the franchise personally.

It's the MacDonalds of electronics. You can never be sure of the service you are going to get and a lot of stuff is overpriced...

JMHO

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I tried to redeem the coupon at a RS today and was told that they don't honor it. Questioning it a little further, I found that customers were abusing it, so they just decided to say that they are not a participating store. I asked for and got the name of the area manager. When I was leaving, one the employees told me of a nearby store that was accepting them. While I didn't have time to go, I'll called my 85 year old mother and visiting niece, her husband and 9 month old and told them which store to go to. They needed batteries for baby items and when they got there, they were told that they were not participating.

In response to xochi and the comment about cells phones: My business has a quarter page Yellow Page ad with two phone numbers in it and a third number on business cards and flyers that all go to my cell phone.

If I receive a personal call when I'm in a situation like a check out, I'll answer and say either, "I'll call you right back," or, "Hold on." If it's a business call, I'm going to take care of my customer. If I can't handle it without inconvenience to others, I'll get out of line. But that's rarely the case. Usually a transaction requires very little interaction, although I welcome it. I'm amazed at how often when I make purchases, I'm not greeted or thanked.

And if I happen to see you coming at me while I'm talking with a wrench in your hand, I'll be sure to ask you what a pipewrench tastes like.

HunterSon

Enlightened

Cell phones have made us very socially ignorant of each other. It seems like a fact we are going to have to live with since no one is willing to turn them off or let their message manager take the call while standing in line.

My province just passed a law banning the use of cell phones in cars unless you pull over or have a hands free kit.

Oh yea, I think a Tazer would be much more entertaining than a pipe wrench.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Bravo25:
Now days I think the new slogan "you have questions we have answers" is the biggest farce yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

"You've got questions -- we've got blank stares"

nightgaunt

Newly Enlightened

I used my 2 coupons for some free o-ring lube and phone cord that I needed. The two places I went were pretty cool about it, and one guy said that "everyone is bringing those in today". So I think the word got out!

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

I don't see what the big deal is, they used to give away flashlights and they had a free battery a month card that I always used. They never seemed to mind, but that was years ago.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

The terms on the coupon were pretty clear. I went in for N batteries for my Jets N-tail also, the first clerk said, "you gotta spend $5 to use it" while the second clerk wasn't so sure. We all looked at the coupon, first clerk consulted an email alert from Radio Shack on the computer, and then they put it through. Not completely smooth, but all worked out in the end.

I mean, it's not like they don't get reimbursed by RS, what's the big deal? Of course they want us to buy something, and maybe we will when we think about the great service we got on the free item. But if it's all about attitude and negative customer service, that's not going to get us back!

Sorry about your bad experience, dude,
daloosh

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast

I strongly disagree. The people that are socially ignorant and inconsiderate on a cell phone were that way BEFORE they used a cell phone. There are plenty of us who use them constantly and remain aware of our surroundings and are considerate of others just as I am in all other areas on my life.

There are times when it's not appropriate for me to allow my grandaughter to run around or make noise and there are times that it is acceptable.

At times that it is not acceptable for my phone to ring, I put it on vibrate or turn it off, but that's not very often (weddings, movies, etc.). Standing in a check out line at WalMart or a grocery store is certainly not one of those times.

If you observe people on cell phones in public, it's easy to tell who is considerate and who is not. Loud, boisterous voices; being completely unaware of anything around them, etc.

Cars have had radios in them for over 60 years. Their use wasn't offensive to others until recent years. It's not the radio that's offensive, it's how the idiot that owns it uses it.

I sum it up as a lack of respect for others. I think that is the root of our problems in society today.

Many people's abuse of cell phone use in public offends me, too. Please realize that it's not the phone, it's the people using them. If it wasn't a cell phone, it would be some other form of their behavior with a lack of respect for others. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

HunterSon

Enlightened

I am with you one the car radio issue, I like music but I don't need to hear some yahoo's car stereo while I am in my house and he/she is driving down the street.

I agree the cell phones are apart of life now, I gave one to my wife because we drive on isolated highway in the winter.

Let me put this to you. Would you find it offensive if you were sitting on a park bench or standing on the corner making a call and I came over and stood right next to you so I could listen to your conversation? Doesn't sound very polite does it. The opposite is true for me also. I don't want to be forced to listen to someone's call when I am stuck in a line.

Just my 2 cents. I have strayed too far from the theme of this thread.