When will we get this sensation?

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had two computers sitting in my room for quite a while. One I use all the time, and the other I have barely touched. I don't touch it because it's not as good as my other computer, and it has a bunch of junk on it. Today I reformatted the hard drive, and I think I might use it every now and then now.

After I had wiped everything and installed the OS, I began loading up disc after disc, program after program. The screen advanced from 16 colors 640x480, to 32 million, 1024x768 with video card drivers. It's amazing what CDs can do to your computer.

So I'm sitting here trying to comprehend what I'm doing to my computer. I'm teaching it Word, Excel, Frontpage, IE, WMP, drivers, etc. It just gobbles up all of this information.

So when do you think humans will be able to do this. They had something similar in The Matrix, where they plug in and can learn how to fly helicopters in 20 seconds. Do you think this will ever happen to us, and when?

naromtap

Enlightened
Yeah PC's of today are amazing & to think 4 years ago I'd never even used one - now I wonder what I ever did before I had one. My son who's 3 1/2 knows no different - its a part of his life taken for granted - frightening to think how advanced things will be when he is my age - I seem to recall reading that by the year 2015 computers will be as powerful as the subconscious!!!

Bravo25

Flashlight Enthusiast
It will be even sooner than you think. With the advanat of the nano robot (now walking on two legs across a dna strand), and the radio implantation devices being deemed mandatory in 5 states for homeless people. It has already begun. But it won't be to our bennefit, I assure you.

haley1

Enlightened
Please, more info on the 5 states that deem this as mandatory. Sheep come to mind. Scary.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
B,
What's this caca?

Implanted radio toys?
That smells like what happened thirty years ago when mental institutions used to sterlize their 'guests' to prevent them from breeding. Kind of an ugly thought.

I was thinking of getting sub dermal chips for my dogs. My JRT is of the hunt and run mentality and I would hate to loose her.

Why implant the homeless, seems like a useless activity.

Jack Crow in Iraq

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a club that will "chip" you:

BUSINESS LIFE: NIGHTLIFE For VIPs, This Implant Is a Must

[ QUOTE ]
From the May. 17, 2004 Issue of Fortune

In March the Baja Beach Club in Barcelona began offering to implant microchips in the upper left arms of favored patrons, affording them E-ZPass-like entree to its ultra-exclusive VIP lounge. The chip-equipped can then also pay for their drinks by merely flexing their triceps before a handheld electronic reader.

What seems to be slowing VIP-chip adoption, explains club owner Conrad Chase, is that the moment when people are most inclined to get chipped—at about two in the morning, say, during a night of heavy drinking and dancing—is "not the right atmosphere" for performing the quasi-medical procedure. (Might raise some informed-consent issues, too, one imagines.) So Chase, an American, urges VIPs to come in during the day on Tuesdays to have the 15-minute, allegedly painless procedure performed. So far only five people besides Chase himself have done it, he admits, but he says there are 21 more now awaiting their implantation appointments. He plans to extend the program to the club's Rotterdam branch in June, he adds, as well as to a Cologne branch that he plans to open in the fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

-Bill

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
naromtap said:
I seem to recall reading that by the year 2015 computers will be as powerful as the subconscious!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Since the dawn of digital computing, people have been predicting that computers will achieve this or that level of sentience "within five/ten/etc years." They come and go. Sure, it will happen, someday, but when it does, the devices that achieve this will most likely not look anything like what we call a computer today.

Jack_Crow

Enlightened
Guys,
Thanks for the lead in.

Part of my radio station programing is some old time radio shows. Sandy from Amrad sent me some X-1 episodes. This was a SF show from the 50's.

Anyhow, look up an old short story called "A Logic Named Joe".

Who ever wrote it invented the internet, not our former VP.

Later dudes
Jack Crow in Iraq

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a reason to track the homeless:

Lake Tahoe woman dips into S.F.'s homeless till

[ QUOTE ]
Wednesday, May 12, 2004

For years, anecdotes have been flying around about homeless people traveling from surrounding counties to reap San Francisco's generous benefits -- but even city officials' eyes bugged out when they discovered a welfare commuter coming all the way from Lake Tahoe.

The case involves a young woman in her early 20s who, for more than a year, allegedly took the bus to San Francisco to collect $310 a month in general assistance.

The woman, whose name is being withheld because of state welfare privacy rules, showed up for her city appointments like clockwork and always seemed to have a sunny disposition.

"And when people are nice, you tend not to suspect them,'' said city Department of Human Services investigator Diana Christensen.

The sunny welfare waif might still be commuting in for her monthly cash had she not made the mistake of putting down a Tahoe-area address two years ago when she was treated at a lakeside hospital.

When the visit popped up on welfare records, San Francisco officials started asking questions. The welfare commuter responded by signing a sworn declaration that she had been in the Lake Tahoe area for a day or two, and didn't actually live there.

Suspicious investigators, however, checked her electronic food stamp card. They found that of the last 110 times it had been used, 100 were in the Tahoe area.

One call led to another, and finally a welfare investigator who happened to be vacationing in Tahoe stopped by the address the woman had given.
The case has been sent to the San Francisco district attorney's office. Only one problem -- welfare workers here haven't seen the woman in three months.

"Whether they will be able to find her is another question,'' said investigator Christensen. "She's pretty much under the radar.''

[/ QUOTE ]

My only hope that our personal freedoms won't be destroyed by our government is in examples like above.... To catch a homeless fraud person required them to look at the electronic food stamp records and have someone on vacation to Lake Tahoe to investigate. And even then, they still are not sure that they will ever catch and prosecute her.

Government incompetence with our money continues to amaze me almost everyday.

-Bill