A scary thought about worms and viruses...

Greymage

Enlightened
I just read that an 18-year old German man was arrested as the author of the Sasser worm.

It's amazing that one teenager can cause so much trouble. Can you imagine a grown software engineer... out not to cause havoc but to steal or spy? Antivirus programs only protect against known viruses, i.e. those in the wild that the AV companies have samples for. A virus/worm using a new security hole (not that I think there are any left now that Microsoft has security as job #1 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif) and targeted to specific organizations or individuals would be hard to stop...

kongfuchicken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fortunately, well maintained private networks are still pretty secure...
In the case of a poor excuse of a network that is my campus network, a virus like this spreads faster than fungus in a locker room. I don't know how much the guy in charge of this mess is paid but I know it's way too much.

Chris M.

Flashlight Enthusiast
<font color="800080">Can you imagine a grown software engineer... out not to cause havoc but to steal or spy?</font>

Don`t mean to alarm you but it`s here already. They call it Spyware, but it is also known as parasitic programs/software/etc. It is why things like AdAware, Spyware Blaster and Search&Destroy need to exist, and the fine folks who created and run them need to do their hard work to keep them up to date. Admittedly a lot is comparitively benign, just existing to log your browsing habits so they can target banners at you. But there are things like keyloggers that are maybe alledgedly created with good intentions (eg for parents to keep an eye on the browsing habits of minors, etc) but all too often abused - to steal your bank account details and sensitive user passwords for example. Or premium rate diallers that sign you in to $3/minute lines to steal from you without your knowledge, like a form of cyber-mugging. And hijack attempts that force you in to the domain of the evildoers where who knows what could happen?

I forget who said it first, but I have heard the Internet of today compared to the Wild West of America in the 1800s. A lawless land where anything goes. Until something is done (and it`s only a matter of when, else it will all fall apart completely), watch your back and make sure you`re protected.

Yes it scares me too, hence why I have seven programs installed on my aging system just to protect me from these criminals. It slows it down but at least I know I`m safe..........?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

illumiGeek

Enlightened
One of the best ways to protect against this is NOT to use Windows XP. It is a horribly unsecure OS with loads of features for criminals and script kiddies to exploit. Sad thing is that Micro$oft knew about the security issues long before the OS was released, and just doesn't give a damn.

DavidH

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, my opinion of Microsoft products is that they are great for spreading viruses and not very good at anything else. I don't have a choice at work, but I do at home. The one good thing I can say about MS, is that their inadequacies keep me employed!