Sex slaves? Is this cool with The Koran?

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sheik Abdul-Sattar al-Bahadli, a senior aide of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr told worshippers during a Friday sermon in southern Iraq that anyone capturing a female British soldier can keep her as a sex slave.

Al-Bahadli said 250,000 dinars — about $350 — will be given to anyone capturing a British soldier and 100,000 dinars — or $150 — to anyone killing one.

He offered money to anyone capturing or killing a member of the Iraqi Governing Council. These are Iraqi citizens.

Coming from a Muslim cleric, I'm wondering if these things he's ordering and calling for are cool with The Koran?

I realize most of his followers are poor, un-educated and young. But, I'm not up on The Koran, and wondered if anyone here is?

I think he may have just stepped in the bucket and will shortly be chastised by Barbara, Rosie, Ellen, Oprah and Maury. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's kind of scary to see the differences in our societies. For some reason I see a big showdown coming, I'm afraid that theirs just to many people who don't think this planet is big enough for everyone.

cosco

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I hijacking this thread. Have this experience: I was asked to provide wedding ceremony of catholic girl and Iraq man who is muslim few years ago. Catholic part is obliged to promise to let any children baptise in such a case of mixed marriage. The other part has to promise not to block that. The man promissed it and when their child has born he did not allowed her to be baptised. He broke the promise. I was told by someone else that muslim's promise to christian does not mean anything in real. I would like to know it for sure from some muslim but there is probably no way to get serious response. Certainly not here in CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Extremists will always twist logic, religion, etc to justify whatever forgone conclusion they're bent on.

There are all sorts of nonsensical tracts in the Bible that modern-day Christains would say are abhorrent, and effectively sinful according to contemporary beliefs, but they're still in print nonetheless.

It's my understanding that ISlam, Judaism, and Christianity all hold the Old Testament in common, so the foundation of all three religions is the same.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with idle. Keep in mind this guy is an extremist. I don't know for sure, but I don't believe the Koran allows this. I think it goes against the very word of the Koran. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311:
Sheik Abdul-Sattar al-Bahadli, a senior aide of radical Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr told worshippers during a Friday sermon in southern Iraq that anyone capturing a female British soldier can keep her as a sex slave.

[/ QUOTE ]

So far, Muslims have suffered far greater than anyone else at the hands of Muslim extremists. If we are to get serious about stopping them we must, among other things, weaponize feminism on a world wide scale.

I'm not kidding.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
It's my understanding that ISlam, Judaism, and Christianity all hold the Old Testament in common, so the foundation of all three religions is the same

[/ QUOTE ]

Mohammedanism says that of Abraham's two sons (Isaac by Sarah and Ishmael by Sarah's maidservant) that Ishmael is the true promised seed.

They say they're out of Ishmael.

The account is recorded in Genesis. That leaves the vast majority of the Old Testament uncommon between Judaism and Mohammedanism.

I don't read anything in The Bible concerning Jesus Christ that encourages making sex slaves of women. Or putting out contracts on the assassination of people.

No, quite the contrary.

Back to the topic, I haven't been able to find where The Koran supports Al-Sadr in this.

I think he's isolating himself more and more in Iraq. I read that Iran is cutting off supplying him.

artar

Enlightened
i do not understand why everything terrorists or resistance fighters do or order to do is checked against their religion ?

ledlurker

Enlightened
In one of the interviews with Bin Laden back in the late 90's or maybee in 2000. The interviewer asked what the US could do to get him to stop attacking US interest in the middle east. His response was for the US to covert over exclusivly to Islamic state. I wish I could remember all of the details, but I had a discussion with a Iranian US citizen since the late 70's, who had just did his pilgramige to Mecca just after the 9/11 attacks. He told me about the major branches of Islam and how is is considered acceptable by some branches to kill people from another branch because they are not the true believers. I can not longer remember all of the different groups. They are the Sunnis the Shites and I think 3 others or maybe more.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
i do not understand why everything terrorists or resistance fighters do or order to do is checked against their religion ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because as far as they are concerned, this is a "holy" war. It is centered around religion and religion alone, despite what the popular press may be telling everyone otherwise. Listen to the language/wording used by these folks and it's hard to miss.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
artar:

[/ QUOTE ]

Emphasis mine.

I don't think that it usually is, historically. Not with the IRA, the SLA, the Red Guards, the Red Brigade, the Weathermen, the Sendero Luminoso, the Bader-Mienhof Gang, the ETA, the FALN, etc., etc., etc. There are a great many terrorists (or resistance fighters, if you will) who are almost never referred to in the context their religion.

If you are talking about the Muslim Fundies, however, it may be because they never stop talking about how they are fighting a religious war. It could be because they have openly declared a religious war on the West.

In this particular case, the statement in question was told to worshippers during a sermon.

It sounds fair to me. To deny the religious context in this case would seem to be quite a stretch, IMO.

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Because religion provides an easy incentive to get people to join their cause. They claim it's about islam or protestantism or catholicism and then they use that as an excuse to kill, maim and mutilate, all in the name of their religion. It's reprehensible, but that's the way it is.
It's not new either. Stuff like this has been happening for centuries. Religion is the ultimate excuse. Native american indians in both north and south america felt the lash of Christianity as the religion was forced down their throat riding on the point of a sword. The Crusades swept the middle east in response to raids carried out by the Turks and the Moors, almost all of these conflicts were ignited in the name of religion. The Moro's in the Philipines have fought a war that in some ways is still going on, in the name of their religion. September 11th, Afghanistan, the USS Kohl, Waco, Jim Jones, the Inquisition, and hundreds of other conflicts have been fought and are being fought all in the name of some god or another. You wonder why I don't like organized religion.

On the marriage thing, my stepdad is a muslim from Egypt. He married my mother in a Lutheran Protestant church, both my half-sisters are baptized in the Lutheran church, yet he never converted to Protestantism. His entire family never had any problems with the fact that my stepdad was marrying my mother, who had me as her first child from her previous marriage. On the contrary. When we visited his side of the family in Cairo, we were received with open arms by fathers, mothers, cousins, uncles, aunts, grand parents, friends of the family and so on. Despite his family being devout muslims. The difference in religion has NEVER been an issue...Well, unless it came to serving pork, which he never would eat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
My father married a philipino woman, who is Catholic. With her, religion has been a bit of an issue. Nothing major, but it goes to show that it completely depends on WHO you're dealing with and NOT what their religion is.

Greymage

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BC0311 said:
I don't read anything in The Bible concerning Jesus Christ that encourages making sex slaves of women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exodus 21:1-4: "If thou buy an Hebrew servant, six years he shall serve: and in the seventh he shall go out free for nothing. If he came in by himself, he shall go out by himself: if he were married, then his wife shall go out with him. If his master have given him a wife, and she have born him sons or daughters; the wife and her children shall be her master's, and he shall go out by himself."

Exodus 21:7-11: If a man sells his daughter as a servant, she is not to go free as menservants do. If she does not please the master who has selected her for himself, he must let her be redeemed. (NIV)

Leviticus 25:44-46: "Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. You can will them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly." (NIV)

Sarah wasn't suggesting anything unusual when she told Abraham to go do her maid...

[ QUOTE ]
Or putting out contracts on the assassination of people.

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I'll give you that, they do it themselves:

Exodus 2:11-12: One day, after Moses had grown up, he went out to where his own people were and watched them at their hard labor. He saw an Egyptian beating a Hebrew, one of his own people. Glancing this way and that and seeing no one, he killed the Egyptian and hid him in the sand. (NIV)

Ezekial 9:3-6: Now the glory of the God of Israel went up from above the cherubim, where it had been, and moved to the threshold of the temple. Then the LORD called to the man clothed in linen who had the writing kit at his side and said to him, "Go throughout the city of Jerusalem and put a mark on the foreheads of those who grieve and lament over all the detestable things that are done in it." As I listened, he said to the others, "Follow him through the city and kill, without showing pity or compassion. Slaughter old men, young men and maidens, women and children, but do not touch anyone who has the mark. Begin at my sanctuary." So they began with the elders who were in front of the temple. (NIV)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]

BC0311 said:
I don't read anything in The Bible concerning Jesus Christ that encourages making sex slaves of women.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graymage, none of what you quoted is concerning Jesus Christ and his teachings.

Remember, read carefully what's written.

So, graymage, how's your knowledge of The Koran? Anything in the Koran that says a Mohammedan Cleric can OK the capturing of women and keeping them as sex slaves?

I know some want to turn this into an anti-Christian thread, but primarily I was looking for what The Koran says to its followers.

But, thanks anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

ErickThakrar

Enlightened
Who wants to turn this into an anti-christian thread?

May not concern Jesus directly, but it's certainly in the Bible. It all comes from the same source, yes?
Whether or not the sex slave thing is actually in the Koran, I don't know. It's been a looong time since I read it. It may well be since when it was written was a different time, which the passages from the Bible show admirably.

Muslim clerics have said many things in the past, very few of them are actually condoned by the Koran. For instance, the Taliban insisted on no music, no pets and women covered from head to toe. However none of this is in the Koran. For instance about the woman's dress code, it says (paraphrasing) that their hair and breasts should be covered and their clothing should be demure. This covered from head to toe crap is pure fabrication by the leaders of the Taliban. There are other examples. Some of those are examples from clerics of the Christian faith.

Topper

Flashaholic*
Greymage, I failed to see a sexual content in two of the Old Testement passages you stated. BCO311 was speaking about the New Testament and Jesus Christ. The post was about whether the Koran supported sex slaves. I am certain that Jesus did not.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Topper

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
ErickThakrar said:
Who wants to turn this into an anti-christian thread?

It is clear to me as to whom that fits.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if the issue of what the Koran says about 'sex slaves' is as relevant as we are treating it here.

I'm sure that Sheik Abdul-Sattar al-Bahadl who make the statement in the first place would not hesitate to inform us that only men should study the Koran and that women should under no circumstances be taught to read -- ever.