My Peak LED Protype arrived with 1 LED (not 3)!

linerlock

Newly Enlightened
I ordered what I thought was a 3x5mm Peak LED solutions white aaa light through one of Peak's ebay auctions earlier this week. My packaged arrived today, however when I opened it, I discovered that the light that I recieved did not have the 3 LED configuration. The head had a single white led set in machined reflector a la ARC aaa. The light is in fact an Arc aaa clone. The overall dimensions and appearance are identical. Even the threads are the same. I verified this by swapping heads with my beloved Arc aaa. Interestingly enough, the Peak head functioned on the Arc body but the reverse was not true.

Now, I thought that the Peak light I ordered through ebay was the 3 LED configuration. In fact, I didn't even know that Peak was offering the Arc knock-off. I MIGHT have just hastily bid on the wrong Peak auction assuming that the 3x5mm was the only configuration that was being offered. Unfortunately, I have no way of verifying this since ebay has pulled the auction from it's database. Do any of you remember if any of the Peak ebay auctions was for a single white led aaa light?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: My Peak LED Protype arrived with 1 LED (not 3)

Yes,
They did offer a single LED AAA version. If you received a notice from E-bay about winning the auction, the link should take you back to what you ordered.

linerlock

Newly Enlightened

Thanks McGizmo, the mistake was probably mine then. I did recieve an ebay notice with a link to the completed auction. However clicking on the link takes you to a page with an "invalid auction number" message.

I guess I'll just have to wait until Peak officially opens for business to get my hands on the 3x5mm.

Greymage

Enlightened

If you log into ebay and go to "My Ebay" it should show all auctions you've won recently. Clicking on the link in the email probably broke because part of the URL got put on another line or something.

indenial

Enlightened

Linerlock: I saved a copy of the entire list of 17 items Peak had on sale. I was about to order when Peak was suspended for whatever reason. If you post your EBAY item number I can verify it was a single LED model.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got a brass single White LED. Perfect! That is just what I wanted. Precision light-very bright. Nice.

linerlock

Newly Enlightened

Greymage: The item no longer appears under "won auctions" on "My ebay" page. The only records I have of the transaction are my ebay confirmation email, my paypal receipt and Peak LED's own confirmation email. None of these include a full item description.

indenial: Thank you for your gracious offer. The auction number is question is: 4129239284 . The description reads: "Peak Led Solutions AAA ( White ) Alodine Aluminum" and it had a "Buy It Now" price of $19.95.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure that the 19.95 lights were a single led, I'm going by memory.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

The listing for the flashlight I won that I had on my "My Ebay" page vanished after I received the notice from Ebay that the listings had been cancelled. However, the "Watched Items" list with one of their white LED prototypes seems to still be good. It's right here if anybody is interested.
There is no indication as to how many LEDs were in this flashlight; though I assume it had three.

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened

Here you go. Go to Ebay. In the search field, type, peak led. It won't come up with anything. But, at left, then click "completed items" and below it, click on "show items" and it will show all their items that were sold.

indenial

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
indenial: Thank you for your gracious offer. The auction number is question is: 4129239284 . The description reads: "Peak Led Solutions AAA ( White ) Alodine Aluminum" and it had a "Buy It Now" price of $19.95.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is on my list and it is definitely a single LED. All the three LED lights are listed as "3-LED".

linerlock

Newly Enlightened

Thank you indenial. Before bidding on the auction, I pulled up all of Peak's open auctions and I don't recall seeing any that were explicitly listed as "3-LED" and "white". This combined with the fact that all I know about Peak has been gleaned by reading the CPF threads related to their 3-LED design lead me to ASSUME that the light I was bidding on was the 3-LED design. Don't I feel foolish?

Truth be told, I also feel kind of guilty about this acquisition. While it does seem to be a pretty well made light, it is clearly an Arc aaa clone. With the 3x5mm light, an argument could be made that Peak was breaking new ground (for a production light) by providing increased light output from a package that was comparable to the ARC aaa we all know and love. The single LED light I recieved just seems like a blatant rip-off of the Arc light. I simply don't feel right about buying an Arc aaa from anyone but Peter and I certainly would not have done so knowingly.

KingSmono

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
linerlock said:
...I don't recall seeing any that were explicitly listed as "3-LED" and "white".

[/ QUOTE ]

I made sure that it said this before I bid:

"3-5mm Custom WHITE LEDS"

copy and pasted directly from Peak Led's e-bay listing

Not all of em did, it seemed kind've odd that they didn't have pictures of the heads so you could easily distinguish. Anyway, the package I ordered has been delivered, but it's in the mail room of my apartment complex and they don't open until 11. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I'll post some pics up when I get it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Smono

mpetty

Newly Enlightened

I bought the anodized 3 LED version I received it yesterday at the same time I received my first ARC AAA's. The modules are interchangeable. The body is almost identical to the ARC AAA. Finish is somewhat duller. The head is a bit longer and is potted.

Mike

FsTop

Enlightened

I too received a very blue prototype 3-LED 'white' light. The beam is pretty good - less side-spill than my AAA, with about the same size large hotspot, but maybe twice as bright. It is, however, very blue.

One thing worth noting is that they built these from an Arc head, by taking a 'pill' about the size of an aspirin, drilled for the three LEDs, and just pressing it into to open mouth of the AAA head. On mine, I can see visible bulging of the sides of the head, and a narrow crack all the way around the 'pill' where it enters the original head.

I sure hope their production lights are designed to look less like Arc products. I can understand using available hardware for 'prototyping' and market research, but I hope they use their own designs when they go live in a week or so...