Dayton Hamvention?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
always.
we will be set up along the north fence.look for a blue short school bus.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
always.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will check it out!

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lived in Dayton for over 10 years. The Ham-vention was a huge deal! I was probably there twice (and I've never had a Ham radio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ikendu said:
I lived in Dayton for over 10 years. The Ham-vention was a huge deal! I was probably there twice (and I've never had a Ham radio /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ).

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, besides the Ham Radio attractions, it's probably the best electronics flea market on the continent. I've been going there for years, and I only got my ham license last fall. This will be my first time attending where if somebody asks what my call sign is, I won't have to look down at my shoes and mutter "well, SOMEday..." /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
give me a holler on 146.490
you do have a 2m ht?
kc8adu

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a VX-2R HT which I'm still learning how to use. It's a rugged little HT, but now having a direct-entry keypad makes it a little interesting to find frequencies.

Is there a repeater running on that frequency in the area, or will you be operating simplex? PL tone frequency?

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
the main repeaters i hang out on are 145.110 - 67
443.775 + 131.8
the uhf one has irlp.
and 146.490 is simplex(no offset)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ive always wondered how far do them ham radios transmit say just a basic cheap ham!@??they sound like fun

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I will also be selling at dayton too, this will be my 5th year, I belive I have seen that blue buss. was it there last year ? I will be at the one enterance where the busses drop off and pick up people. there will be a dark red toyota tacoma pickup truck with a (mostlikly)mismatched cap parked at the two spaces, two nerdy looking humans(I will be the one wearing a shirt with some form of dragon on it). I will probly have my maxabeam there even though it's not realy for sale(need something to playwith). will also have misc junk and assorted smd elecrical parts in a box.
I just hope it does not rain this year!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
the main repeaters i hang out on are 145.110 - 67
443.775 + 131.8
the uhf one has irlp.
and 146.490 is simplex(no offset)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. I'll dial in 146.490 before I get there and I'll give ya a shout.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Draco_Americanus said:
I will also be selling at dayton too, this will be my 5th year, I belive I have seen that blue buss. was it there last year ? I will be at the one enterance where the busses drop off and pick up people. there will be a dark red toyota tacoma pickup truck with a (mostlikly)mismatched cap parked at the two spaces, two nerdy looking humans(I will be the one wearing a shirt with some form of dragon on it). I will probly have my maxabeam there even though it's not realy for sale(need something to playwith). will also have misc junk and assorted smd elecrical parts in a box.
I just hope it does not rain this year!

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll keep an eye out! Yeah, last year I got lucky on the rain and was inside the arena each time it started to come down hard. But I really felt for the outdoor vendors who couldn't abandon their posts and had to rely on tarps and umbrellas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
always.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to pull up a map to see which end of the field was north. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So are you on the portion of the north fence that runs straight east-west or along the diagonal portion that's at the east end of the north fence?

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
woohoo!!! 1 day till dayton! got all my junk loaded up and heading off today! I just hope I can find some neat highvoltage stuff! or even a high power laser!

Take care all

I may sell the maxabeam if the price is right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
3970-72
we didnt use the bus this year.
look for the fuglymobile with all the antennas on it and my call on the plates.

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
always.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had to pull up a map to see which end of the field was north. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

So are you on the portion of the north fence that runs straight east-west or along the diagonal portion that's at the east end of the north fence?

[/ QUOTE ]

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
entry level transcievers at less than $100 can work the world.
we have an irlp system here that can put you anywhere you want to go from a handheld rig that is small enough to fit in a shirt pocket.
[ QUOTE ]
raggie33 said:
ive always wondered how far do them ham radios transmit say just a basic cheap ham!@??they sound like fun

[/ QUOTE ]

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
3970-72
we didnt use the bus this year.
look for the fuglymobile with all the antennas on it and my call on the plates.

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
[ QUOTE ]
snakebite said:
always.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was nice to meet you at Dayton. When I tried to contact you earlier in the day, something was wrong with my radio and when you gave me directions, it came out sounding like asldkjliuerwm^kjlkYOUCANTMISSIT.+dvc%^# /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

When I contacted you at the end of the day it was behaving much better. I think the front end of the Rx might have been overloaded by a nearby Tx on an adjacent channel.

Anyway, thanks for the tip on irlp. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif I spent some more time listening to that repeater and picked up transmissions from New York, North Carolina and someplace else I can't remember. Very cool. I'm definitely going to have to get a rig with a keypad so I can send the DTMF to open & close the path.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Draco_Americanus said:
woohoo!!! 1 day till dayton! got all my junk loaded up and heading off today! I just hope I can find some neat highvoltage stuff! or even a high power laser!

Take care all

I may sell the maxabeam if the price is right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to meet you in Dayton on Saturday, Draco. Thanks for firing up the Maxabeam for me - that was an awesome device! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
It was nice to meet you as well, so did you find anything intersting at dayton ?
I sadly missed out on a very large laser /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif and an early generation sodium vapor lamp from the 1930's, I blame the bad weather for the laser as the thing was covered when I passed it. I never found sankebite, I keept looking for the buss and when I was there did not have internet acess to get updates, ohwell there is allways next year.
I did get a infared light source that uses a 3 terminal short arc xenon lamp of unknown power level, neat little thing I hope to get powered up.
anyway take care
Draco Americanus

[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
[ QUOTE ]
Draco_Americanus said:

Take care all

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice to meet you in Dayton on Saturday, Draco. Thanks for firing up the Maxabeam for me - that was an awesome device! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[/ QUOTE ]