Addiction or hobby?

Kabible

Enlightened
I'm sure this has been discussed before but being relatively new, I've not seen it posted.
My wife says I'm addidted to CPF. I call it a hobby. She says I'm in denial. I rationalize by telling her that it's better that I'm home enjoying my "hobby" than out drinking with the boys. I don't drink anyway, or smoke. I don't ski or backpack anymore 'cause I thrashed my body doing that in my 20s & 30s. Heck, skiing costs too much now anyway. I could buy a nice flashlight for what I'd pay for a weekend on the slope. Can't afford any more firearms 'cause the kids are older and their toys are becoming more expensive.
I think, "So what's the problem?" To me, this is the perfect "hobby". I'm home. She can talk to me any time because I can stop looking at flashlights and talking with all of you
long enough to still satisfy her because it's not an addiction. Right? Oh and BTW, we go on walks at night all the time. And everyone knows what that you need a flashlight for that! Since joining CPF, we have better flashlights. Maybe a few more than are really needed but what's wrong with a variety? Flashlights I'm talkin' here /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

So. Addiction or hobby? You tell me.
Brian

Stefan

Enlightened
Hobby: An activity or interest pursued outside one's regular occupation and engaged in primarily for pleasure.

Addiction: The condition of being habitually or compulsively occupied with or involved in something.

Given the definitions, couldn't it be an "addicting hobby"? I see that there is no right answer either way, so I would use both.

StuU

Enlightened
It's mostly a hobby for me but has some minor characteristics of an addiction.

However, I feel that it's an overall healthy activity- especially as a large part for me is coming up with new mods. My brain is always working on that and figuring out new ways to improve older lights. Like right now, I have found a source of Dorcy Spyder lights at a surplus store operation- bought 8 lights and have modded two so far. One is an Inova X5 equivalent. Another is a luxeon flood. One is in use as is. Got 5 more to go and maybe some will be Xmas presents. Actually, it's cheap and creative entertainment.

Another flashlight activity that I pursue is finding older lights at flea markets and modding them or using them as is. Just last week I found a 6-cell B-lite for $3.

My spending on lights is really pretty modest and I only get the more expensive ones at Xmas or birthdays. Expensive to me is $40-80.

Overall, a fun and interesting hobby with useful returns for me and others. My wife says that when she grew up, her Dad had a house full of flashlights- of which none ever worked. With me , we have a house full of interesing flashlights and they all work and work well.

Plus, I am slowly gaining converts by my evident enthusiasm for the flashlight culture.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope you don't use the replies here as an argument to your wife. It would only make things worst. Why not the two of you just give in to each other and follow what Stefen said, "addictive hobby". Why can't a hobby be addictive??? I personally don't see something wrong with that unless the hobby you are talking about are girls.

Andy Ho

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can no longer defend myself by saying that it's just a hobby. While it is a hobby, I can see clearly enough to know that it's an addiction. The big question for me now is which is worse, CPF or flashlights?

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
pjandyho:
Something is wrong with the link. I can't seem to launch the page.

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems OK. Are you running through a proxy or anything that may filter it out? There doesn't seem to be much on it that would trip most filters.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I got started because I needed a good light for work (always looking into dark fuel tanks, or into burner chambers).

But what am I saying? Even in my late teens I was putting one cell less bulb in lights, tweaking PR bases for better beams, etc.

There was a hardware store up near downtown that at the time was the only place I knew to get over 3cell M*gs. (I never have gotten a 5 or 6D...)

Becoming a member of CPF has accelerated it to the point of addiction however!

I buy a lot of lights based on recommendations here, and LOTS more mostly cheap lights looking for diamonds in the rough.

I just did buy a Streamlight 20XP Lamp Module to mod a D cell M*g with, and have been looking at a more powerful rechargable spot option!

I guess it can be said that it WAS a hobby for me, that has turned in to an addiction!

I can quit any time.... yeah right! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Kabible

Enlightened
Ok, since I just could not stay away from CPF for more than one day, I'll admit that I have an addiction. Flashlights are still just a hobby, although becoming more & more expensive. Just got an XM-2, waiting for a Strion and trying to work out a Dragon LED/9.

Has anyone thought of an "Flashaholics Anonymous"? Not that I'm suggesting that we stop buying, modding and visiting. I'm thinking more like just giving each other support for our addiction I mean hobby. Well, now that I think about it, this seems to be what I'm doing here. But it's like a double edged sword. The more I look to CPF for comfort, the more I want to come back. But while I'm here, I wind up shopping around for more lights & stuff.

What a conundrum.
Take care all, Brian

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
What Kabible said! Making hi-tech flashlights is just a hobby. CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif is the adiction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It's not an addiction. I can quit anytime I want to! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sssh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bill.H

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
It's not an addiction. I can quit anytime I want to!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me, too. It's easy to quit. I do it monthly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Bill.H said:
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
It's not an addiction. I can quit anytime I want to!

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, me, too. It's easy to quit. I do it monthly. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
In fact, gonna quit right now...
....eeeeeeyyyyyyaaaaahhhhhhhrrrggghhh! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif plop.
Well, I'm back. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Quick Flashlight Addiction Self Evaluation Test

NOTE: you must be free of any substance abuse problems in order to take this "test" and must not seek compensation in any alcoholic, barbiturate, steroid, hallucinogenic, or other drugs. This includes anti-anxiety or anti-depressant medication (unless previously prescribed).

Here are the test conditions:

1 You must call in sick from work or school for 1 week

2 You must stock one week's worth of food and other necessities at home.

3 you must agree to remain in your house/apartment for one week

4 Any access to funds, assets, cash must be suspended for one week. This includes temporarily emptying your wallet of all cash and credit cards and giving them to your wife/ GF/ family member/ friend/ attourney to hold.

5 You must notify and obtain sworn promises of family/ friends/ Flashaholics that it is forbidden to supply you with any flashlights for one week.

6 You must have your computer adjusted to make online ordering impossible for one week

7 You must be denied access to your phone/cell phone for one week

8 You must frequent CPF a minimum of 8 hours daily, divided into no less than 4 daily visits.

9 A reiteration of #3: You must agree to remain in your house/apartment for one week

EVALUATING RESULTS:

* These results are predicated on strict adherence to the rules, except where noted *

If you remained in your house for one week you are NOT ADDICTED

If you remained in your house for one week and committed an act of violence you are PROBABLY NOT ADDICTED

If you left your house during this period you are PROBABLY ADDICTED

If you left your house during this period and committed an act of violence you are MOST LIKELY ADDICTED

If you left your house during this period and committed an act of violence for the purpose of obtaining money to buy a flashlight YOU ARE ADDICTED

If you left your house during this period and broke into a flashlight store YOU ARE ADDICTED

If you left your house during this period and committed an act of violence for the purpose of obtaining money to buy a plane ticket to England in order to break into Al's (Size 15s) place and steal his Surefire Collection YOU ARE SERIOUSLY ADDICTED!

Brightnorm

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I think my flashlight collecting is still a hobby. Most of my lights differ in some aspect and so far I only have one of each. On the other hand, my frequent visits to CPF would probably qualify as an addiction. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I know I am a addict for this simple reson, was contemplating on buying a MaxaBeam, (we all know these are insanely expensive.) But my jeep has a cracked exhaust manifold and it should be replaced, fix jeep or buy maxabeam, fix jeep, buy light, fix jeep, buy light..... glue jeep, buy light!
Well the glue has since failed but I can see in the dark very well now!
I also have a few surefires on the way too!