dissapointed

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
i recently got an M3T and i have to say im really disspointed with the throw and intensity of this light. for 300 bucks i really expected it to be brighter. my L4 seems brighter then this light. i know the m3t is meant to throw, but ti doesnt even throw that great. im super dissapointed, its the most expensive surefire ive bought and i dont think im going to buy an m6 anymore i cant justify the money if they dont perform as well. i used to have an ultra stinger and im almost positive that thing was brighter and for a fraction of the price. anyone else have similar experience?

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I had an M3 without the T and it was *very* bright and the L4 couldn't have compared.
Maybe there's something wrong with yours?
May I be th first to suggest trying new battereis and the other LA?
bernhard
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

K-T

*Moderator*
What Bernard said: swap batteries, clean contacts and maybe other LA. The L4 does have a different beam temperature which tricks the eye in thinking the L4 is brighter - nevertheless the M3T should be brighter and have significant more throw!

Klaus.

pyro

Enlightened
If you tested only indoors the white LED light overwhelmed you, it SEEMS to be brighter IMHO.
The M3 should beat the L4 hands down for throw, if not, there is something wrong with the
batteries or bulb in your M3 ,or you have an extraordinary good LED in your L4.

Size15's

Flashaholic
The M3T should be far more intense and higher output compared to the L4. Even inside against walls there is a big difference. Take them outside and the M3T illuminates targets at ranges the L4 won't even light up.

Please let us know if changing out batteries and trying the other lamp make any difference.

Al

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pardon me for saying this but there is only 3 things that could happen.

1) Something is wrong with the unit you got.

2) Something is wrong with your eye.

3) Your judgement is screwed.

I am not being rude but just giving 3 possible scenario I could think of.

Andy Ho

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
i think what i wrote was misinterpreted. the m3t obviously outthrows the l4, it just doesnt throw as much as i thought it would. im going to trade or sell it. i changed batteries, used both lamps the light is just yellow compared to the led even with brand new batteries, it takes a while to get to full power and then to shut off again when youre using the tail switch as the led is immediate. when you look at my m3 and you dont point the center of hte beam exactly at your eye, it is not blinding at all, while if you do the same thing with my l4 its absolutely blinding. im wondering if the M6 is much brighter and throws longer. id love to get a handheld light that throws like a police car spot- thats what i thought the m6 was like.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
glock ... of course it is quite yellow, it is an incan. the M6 will be yellow, too. BUT it will illuminate red and yellow targets better than the LED /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
AND as the beam is more concentrated (more throw) it has very little sidespill and thus won't blind you if looking at it from the side whereas the L4 is all flood and sidespill and will blind you much earlier (greater angle).
All this is quite normal and there is no need to be concerned. In the end, the power of the M3T will kill the L4.
bernhard

P.S.: of course I prefer the L4, too, but had to be fair to the poor M3 here ... they are different, and the M3 is more powerful. everything else is a matter of taste and need.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
some pics:

L4 in real life:
rl_led_06_l4.jpg

and the M3 (non "T") in the same session; HOLA used:
rl_incan_4_m3hola.jpg

bernhard

*Retired*
Well, I'm getting old, and my eyes might be a tad weak, but to me, it looks like the M3 just chewed up, spit out, ran over, kicked the living daylights, embarrased, and pounded into the dust, the L4.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yes NewBie, it did.
But the L4 has more spill (in the photo the weaker spill does not come thru very well) and a better color. Other wise the pics are a rather good representation of what you actually see.
WHen raw power counts, the M3 HOLA kicks the L4 in the a**.
bernhard

Size15's

Flashaholic
I think you've learnt Flashaholic Lesson #2.
There are three Flashaholic Lessons:

FL#1:
Never, ever own more than one LED light - otherwise one or both will have a tinted beam you do not like. This especially applies when owning expensive LED lights.

FL#2:
Never, ever use an incandescent light with or soon after an LED light. The incandescent will have a beam you do not like. This especially applies when owning expensive incandescent lights.

FL#3:
Whenever you can not decide between two flashlights, always buy both regardless of FL#1 & FL#2. This is the Flashaholics Curse.

There is a 4th Lesson. I believe it stands - The SureFire M6 is the King of Flashlights. I realise this is brand specific so I don't want to apply to the whole of Flashaholism just yet!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you do have a good point, for $300 the Surefire M3T isn't quite worth the money IMO. For the $230-250 that they usually go for used or discounted, it is a decent light though. I recently got rid of mine, with my other lights it was rather redundant and wasn't getting much use. For $300 you should have gotten a Surefire M6. Definitely the king. I've bought three SF M6's in the last year and a half for less than $300 each (still have two).

-Keith

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Al ... this outburst of great wisdom is really a great post. YOu should repeat it as often as you can ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

glock_nor_cal

Enlightened
is there a idiots guide to what an incandescent beam is vs and led beam and how they both work on here somewhere? really simple 2nd grade worded?

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Off topic a little

For anyone interested in comparing beam shots of some of the more popular lights, please check out Bernhard's Gargantuan Flashlight Shootout...or something like that...

It is the most comprehensive comparison in a outdoor setting.
Excellent work!

Aloha
Brian

Mister T

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
BigHonu said:
It is the most comprehensive comparison in a outdoor setting.
Excellent work!

[/ QUOTE ]
I second that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif
Here is the link