slime green infinity ultra

spoggles

Newly Enlightened
Hi all, with the help of this great bbs i was able to get my first mod finished, there are many posts on modding a Infinity ultra wich make this a peice of cake, I have no idea what the luxeon is, It was not what i ordered and I made the mistake of not testing it tell the mod was finished, I like the results tho, I dont think I would have ever owned a coloured lux if not for my /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banned2.gifstupidity

I used a penny for the heatsink and 5 minute epoxied the whole thing I also used the sence resistor wire method of boosting the current(18ga speaker wire strand/3cm)

the led is off center a tad and i messed up the bezel a bit holding it with plyers....hope you like it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

i1.jpg

i2.jpg

i3.jpg

i4.jpg

i5.jpg

i7.jpg

i8.jpg
arc-aaa on right
i9.jpg

this light is verry bright almost as bright as my lshp, running on a single AA....I also tryed the bezel on a cr123..it was brighter than my lshp, next time I will use a white lux, and a fraen optic, the cut down nx05 is too sqarish

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, I'm working on a mod for my CMG also...I'm probably going to go with a red/orange for the LED to maximize efficiency and brightness of a single AA...

Where did you get the optic that fit into the CMG's bezel? And is there a way to protect it from getting scratched up? How did you attch the optic? Clear epoxy? And finaly which sandwitch did you end up using?

The LED looks like a Cyan with a higher Color #.

spoggles

Newly Enlightened
The optic is a nx05...first i drilled a 3/8 hole in the bezel for the LS, after that i used a dremel to shape the bezel to fit the nx05.
once the shape of the bezel was good(maybe 10 minutes work)I placed the bezel on a socket from my rachetset with a cloth inbetween the bezel and socket to get a tight fit and used a small socket extention that fit my 1/2 inch drill chuck and spinned the bezel using progresively fine sandpaper, then polish to finish.
Now I had a nice polished bezel that fit the nx05 perfectly, altho I had to shave a little off the bottom of the nx05 where it joins the emitter, once that fit perfectly I 12minute epoxied the nx05 to the bezel.
Now back on the drill to get the remaning 3mm sticking out of the bezel off.....I used 350grit wetsanding paper(15minutes work)being careful not to heat up the nx05, once it was shaved down to the bezel I used 600grit wetsanding paper, 1200 grit and finaly toothpaste to miror finish.

I modded the stock infinity ultra board for the sandwich(price was right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifthx to the many wizards around here...if you want the step by step info on how i did mine just ask...I can also post pics of the tools i used...have fun doing your mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mike101

Newly Enlightened
spoggles, very nice mod, good job.
I have my Infinity mod done too but it can't reach the brightness as yours showing in the pic comparing with an Arc AAA. Did you measure the current drawing out from the battery? How long is the runtime with a fresh AA until the brightness drops to the level of Arc AAA and until it drops to the level of moon mode?

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
spoggles said:
I modded the stock infinity ultra board for the sandwich(price was right /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gifthx to the many wizards around here...if you want the step by step info on how i did mine just ask...I can also post pics of the tools i used...have fun doing your mod /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi, Spoogles! I'd appreciate it if you did this for us noobs. I've got the modding bug now but have virtually no tools to work with. Any tips & pics on how you modded the board and connected everything would be awesome! TIA.
GL

greenLED

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
spoogles said:
its quite simple actually...you need to break the aluminum edge on your bezel to ge the original led out...boiling water is good as long as you put the bezel in a zip lock bag...after a couple minutes just push on the led and it should pop out....after that carefully remove the epoxy, warm in up in boling water againg to soften the epoxy as many time as you need...on ce the board is clean cut the leeds on the led right at the led so the leeds are left on the board to use them later...next you need to make a heatsink for the lux, I used a penny and filed it down so it fit in the bezel without touching the walls i also filed the surface of the penny flat, then i filed a small slot on one side of the penny for the positive leed on the lux so it wont touch the penny, the negative leed was soldered right to the penny, then i glued the lux on the penny with 5 minute epoxy with very thin(from a pack of cigarettes, the paper glued the the aluminum foil) paper in between the lux and the penny....then just use the old leeds of the 5mm led to connect to the lux positive and the neg to the penny...if you want more current the you have to make a sense resistor http://www.jumpic.com/misc/temp/guide.jpg mine was 3cm long from a single strand of alluminum....the rest of the stuff is in my post....sorry I cant take apart my mod to show you pics because i would break it...good luck

[/ QUOTE ]
I though't I'd share some extra details spoogles kindly provided in a PM (hope you don't mind!). It really helped me clarify the steps needed to do this mod. I'd taken everything apart and am working on cleaning the board and making the heatsink right now. More work on electronix later...