OMRON LED

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I have two Omron DR (double reflection) blue LEDs that I got about a year ago. They look like the LED in the far left of that web page photograph.

From my website, comes the following:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
drblue1.jpg

Here is an Omron DR Blue (Double Reflection Blue) LED next to a regular 5mm LED. The DR Blue is that funny looking one on the left.

There is a small, but powerful lens moulded into the epoxy encapsulant at the LED's top, and a large die cup or bowl moulded into the LED's cathode connection. This combination produces a slightly wider than usual beam with a central brighter area and none of those nasty artifacts outside the center.

drblue2.jpg

As you can see, the beam is nice and smooth, and slightly greener (between 475nm and 478nm) than many of their competitor's LEDs.

One sample measures 1,040mcd, the other measures 1,070mcd.

Both were measured with a Meterman LM631 and on a Hosfelt Electronics LED tester using the 20mA receptacle with a test current measured at 16mA on the DMM's 2A scale.

I don't have the equipment necessary for measuring beam angles, but just by eyeballing it, the beam angle appears to be approximately 25 degrees with a soft (not abrupt) fall-off toward the edges.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Craig. Great information as usual.

I've never seen a blue 5mm with a beam profile anywhere near as smooth as that. Very nice!!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
Thanks Craig. Great information as usual.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're more than welcome. Glad I could be of help. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Lux Luthor said:
I've never seen a blue 5mm with a beam profile anywhere near as smooth as that. Very nice!!

[/ QUOTE ]
The beam profile you see above is from an Omron DR blue LED, not a 5mm LED. Hope you weren't confused. :/
The Omron DR blue does have a very nice, smooth beam for a non-phosphor LED; but it isn't as bright as some 5mm LEDs.