Please help a "light challendged" individual...

Sproles

Newly Enlightened
Please help a \"light challendged\" individual...

Hello all - I know the REAL value of forums like these because of the time that I have spent at the gun and knife type forums. I am somewhat illiterate when it comes to lights. Let me tell you what I have and then what I would like to maybe do and then you can help me through this.

I currently have a Sure Fire E1 (old school) with the plastic lens (ALL scratched up) in the grey color. I carry it EVERYDAY and love it, but it is somewhat large (thick) for EDC in a suit (I wear 5 days a week plus Sundays.) I also have a Sure Fire E2 that I keep with my hand gun in the night stand until I break down and buy a weapon light for my Sure FIre XD subcompact 9mm. I also have an early Inova X5 LED and like it, but I don't use it that often.

IF you were me (aren't you lucky that you aren't) and were going to make any changes to your light selections, what would you do? I am thinking about exchanging my old E1 for something a littel smaller and just as bright (if it exists) and also exchanging the Inova for another SF LED light. I will hold onto the E2 and eventually buy a weapons light, but for now, I am interested in some small minor changes (trading if possible) on the E1 and Inova.

Suggestions? Thanks for your help...

David

wasabe64

Flashaholic*
Re: Please help a \"light challendged\" individual...

Welcome to CPF David!

Be prepared to read through a lot of helpful recommendations as light preference is as varied as the cars we drive.

If you are looking for something smaller than an E1 with comparable or higher output, perhaps an Arc LSH-P, Arc 4+ or Fire~Fly would be the ticket.

My first choice would be the Fire~Fly.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

You have come to the right place. You should get many great opinions on your question. I do not own a Fire-Fly but I do have an Arc LSH-P and I love it. I think you meant Springfield XD subcompact 9MM not Sure Fire XD correct? I have been thinking of buying up one of the XD pistols is the reason I noticed. And welcome to CPF. I am fairly new here myself. There are many great people here who will go out of thier way to help you.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

FireFly - TINY! two-thirds the size of the E1

I've got a first run and wish I had one of the new ones with the two level light output.

GregR

Sproles

Newly Enlightened

How much are these "Fire~Fly" lights that people are mentioning? I found the guys board here on the CPF, but unable to locate availabiilty and/or pricing. Please advise. And YES - I DID mean the Springfield Xd...GREAT gun!

David

bald1

Enlightened
Re: Please help a \"light challendged\" individual..

The Longbow Micra also deserves a look as it is in the ARC class of 1x123 pocketable torches with excellent output and beam characteristics.

--Bob

Mattman

Enlightened

I came into this thread expecting to find some poor street urchin with a plastic Rayovac flashlight crying out for help from the experts. What I got was a Surefire and Innova sportin' flashaholic looking to pump us for some more info. I usually recommend the new guys start out with something painless, like a Pelican M6 or Surefire G2. You're not getting off that easy - you need an Arc4+! (or an LSH-P if you can find one) Once you see how well one of these Arcs compares to your E1, you should be able to retire that old workhorse for good. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

maverick

Enlightened

Welcome David! Personally I would recommend the Longbow Micra 2210S. It is not as fiddley as the Arc4+, has a better grip and looks better (in my opinion) than the Arc LSH. In addition to all that, it costs less than both the Arcs and the Firefly. I got mine from Patrick (s2k) from Singapore who was great to deal with.