Surefire M6 - is it worth it ?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi - i have an opportunity to buy a surefire m6 for 450 Aussie dollars (they are normally $700ish)
should i be buying this light ?
anyone know where there is some reviews of it ?
i have tried the search function and it just comes up with pelican m6s
Thanks guys

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Mine had its first outing to the desert for the last 2 nights. A neighbor lives about a half mile away and stopped by yesterday and inquired what I was lighting-up the hills with! Both my brothers went /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif . /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Larry

Kiessling

Flashaholic
yes, yes and yes !!!!
a killer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I LOVE it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
bernhard

jtice

Flashaholic
What is the M6 equal to?
Can anyone comapre its output to another light?

I have wanted one for a while, I want to LED mod one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Actually, I REALLY want to make a 3-LuxIII mod like Don did.

The short runtime is what is a turnoff for me about the M6.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I would never sell mine. It is one of Surefire's crowning achievements.

Brightnorm

Mattman

Enlightened
I'll jump in and offer a differing point of view. In my mind, you'd be better off picking up a cheap 1,000,000 CP handheld spotlight for the times you need "more" light. If you really had a need for a smaller, super bright light, you probably would have already picked an M6 up by now. On the other hand, if you can afford the entry price and 6 123's an hour, it's definitely a cool light for your collection.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heck if they are currently going for $700Aus why wouldn't you pick one up for $450Aus? You could play with it and if you decide you don't want it and sell it at a discounted $450Aus.

So where is the downside even if you don't keep it?

GregR

jbrett14

Enlightened
I agree with Mattman's logic. For $15 U.S. you could have a light that is actually brighter for those times when you really need that much light, and have enough money left over to buy an item that is actually worthy of that kind of cost, e.g. multi-tools, guns, etc.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
From Australian dealers I was under the impression that the M6 started at: oh, about $1000 au? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif Not to mention the $8 dollar SF123's... That's an operating cost of $144 au an hour /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif after u get the light running 6 batteries on HOLA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mind you if you find the right people / places, you can but laugh at the above amounts... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I 'plan' (emphasis on the 'plan' /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif) to get one for three reasons:

1. To have the ability to have maximum throw / light (in a small device) for a particular situation, as I do frequently go into great wide spaces (i.e. I will be using it about as often as Australia gets hit by aging space junk /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

2. Well, this reason revolves around me having to admit that my use of lights is in a grey area smack bang between tool and hobby. This would be my first light that really can only be justified if I admit that I am a flashaholic

3. I'm a hoping that Jon comes up with a Pila plan for the M6 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

alwilliam

Newly Enlightened
The surefire M6 is 100% KILLER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif,it will be the very last to go if I ever sell or trade my flashlight collection off.The large vector spotlight type lights I own may be brighter but they are heavy and large,I know of nothing in the M6 league.If someone does let me know, I will buy one.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lightemup - try www.vastspecialproducts.com.au - m6 for 740aud
thanks very muchly for your input guys - i really appreciate it - i am going to get it - if only for callouts at work
i suppose i am trying to hide my flashaholism (is that a word) from my girlfriend as i already have a pelican M11, streamlight stinger, s/f 6P, various Mags, princeton tecs, other pelican lights etc and i am currently waiting for the mailman to bring my new L4 (hopefully today - i dont know how much longer i can stay awake)
so it will really only be another toy (plus its a bargain - with an included blackhawk pouch)

lightemup

Flashaholic*
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif I'm waiting for my L4 to arrive too with Pilas /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Waiting's a real pain isn't it! I saw Branny's L4 at the Brisy cpf meet the other day, and to say the least I was impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Can you see yourself running the M6 on the LOLA or HOLA? Alas I think i've been taken by Al's logic, i.e. HOLA is the only way to fly /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmmm - probably use the HOLA for calloouts and stuff
but maybe the LOLA for patrols etc
batteries are too flaming expensive to run HOLA all the time - ($50 for 10) is the best price i can find in WA

paulr

Flashaholic
I would say there's no point to an M6 on LOLA. If you want 250 lumens, get a Tigerlight. Nobody (well, almost nobody) spends 450 AUD or 300 USD on a flashlight for practical or functional reasons. It's all about HOLA, and if you have to ask how much the batteries cost, you can't afford it. If all you want is pure lumens, the suggestion of a $15 spotlight is completely correct, the spotlight will do the job just as well, just like a $10 kitchen knife will slice carrots just as well as a $300 Sebenza. The M6 is like a Sebenza, a flashlight taken to a new level of precision and artistry, and one buys it for that reason, not because it does anything other lights can't do with less panache.

Jtice asks what other light can be compared. Aside from the obvious SF 10X, I'd say the M6 beam is almost like a theatrical spotlight, round (more or less), even, and wide. It is not a "throw monster". It has pretty good throw by virtue of its brute power, but its wide beam means it can't reach as far as some other lights with less total output might be able to.

If you really do have a practical use for a handheld light this powerful, look into a 10X, which is equally bright, but compared with the M6, the 10X seems like some kludge made of vacuum cleaner parts. Al's description is exactly right, the M6 is the king of flashlights. So of course it has a royal price tag.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok Paulr
you make a very good point - it will be used with the Hola on callouts (if i need the pure blinding power - just in case i run into offenders by myself)
(i probably get 5 to 10 of these per week - and they arent my favorite part of my job)
just keep the LOLA as a spare - just in case i need it.
and i will just have to look into buying large amounts of 123s - thanks for your opinion though - helps me make up my mind /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
I'm not sure what callouts are, but if you do them that often and you think an M6 will help you, better try out a 10X as well. The 10X is as bright as an M6, not too much heavier, and it's rechargeable. It's just nowhere near as cool-looking.