Help Professionalize - Beam Pattern Matrix

Aten_Imago

Banned
The title says it all.
We're trying to build a matrix of 'Beam Profiles' or patterns, to help us standardize the 'calling out' of beams against a reference document that's been professionalized by the CPF SME's ( Subject Matter Experts). Our first stab at this seems OK, but I know some of the illustrations don't properly represent common beams and several beams must be missing. Any and all help with editing this matrix / grid would be much appreciated. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
http://www.imagometrics.com/FLReviews/Bmrm.htm

idleprocess

Flashaholic
The UK 4AA eLED and the CMG Reactor (to a lesser extent) feature an almost point-like hotspot with a steeply graduated falloff to a seondary hotspot that's perhaps 25%-33% as bright as the hotspot, which chops off dramaticly to dim sidespill. The effect is somewhere between 3 & 6. If I had to try to put numbers to the regions, the primary hotspot is ~2 degrees, the secondary hotspot is ~20 degrees, and sidespill is ~140 degrees.

The eLED uses a SE emitter while the Reactor uses an optic (can't tell what type of emitter).

Tangential: do you know why almost all the links (other than the ones that you post) on your site result in "forbidden" errors? Is this deliberate?

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
You are missing a couple oddballs.

1) The Pelican 2020 sabre light. A square hotspot with no spill.

2) A Fraen with a mis-alligned LED. Some spill, a square hotspot with a round hotterspot that's off center.

Daniel

Aten_Imago

Banned
Ok
That's been helpful. I'll try to update the Beamorama Matrix - though working from your verbal descriptions is often fraught with error. would it be an imposition to e-mail me scans of hand drawn sketches? I discovered that actually sketching the beams is more accurate that shooting beamshots. Thanks all !!

Aten_Imago

Banned
Idleprocess. To answer your question. Our main Website's content- including contact information are offline and only viewable as an Intranet/Extranet to a highly controlled list of clients- this is due to a high level of confidentiality that we are obliged to observe till January 2005. I appologize for this to you and all CPF as well as the many benevolent visitors that want to learn more about us-but we have no choice till January 2005. The IA framework that you can see still gives potential customers and our various community affiliates (such as CPF) a high level look at what we do- even if not details on how we do it. It's about intellectual property to some extent. I know it's frustrating ( for us as well as the public) ...but so are breaches of security and IP theft we had to fight in the past.Imago Metrics is not in a postition to afford any breaches at this time. A related business we own, Imago Media will be fully online by end of this summer. It furnishes information about our Branding, Marketing and E-Business/E-Commerce services. Services that will be useful to manufacturers, policy makers and advertising agencies. I am always reachable at : [email protected] or [email protected]. and our US and European mailing addresses are not a secret. So- rest assured, we're not hiding anything but our Intellectual Property ...from public inspection and only for a short while. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif [ QUOTE ]
idleprocess said:
Tangential: do you know why almost all the links (other than the ones that you post) on your site result in "forbidden" errors? Is this deliberate?

[/ QUOTE ]

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Aten:

I thought it likely there was a security-related reason for the lockdown, and now I know for sure.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Aten: e-mail inbound with a sketch of what I was trying to describe - modified a bit after I took a second look at the beam.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
1) The Pelican 2020 sabre light. A square hotspot with no spill.

[/ QUOTE ]
My SabreLite produces a very distinctly rectangular beam, not a square one.
Maybe I'm just nitpicking here, but this is a pretty significant nit. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif
And yeah, there's virtually NO spill light, so at least that part of the beam description is accurate. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Let's see if I have or can take a photograph of its beam...BRB...

Ok, from my web page about the SabreLite:

sabre5.jpg
sabre6.jpg

These two photographs are of the beam on a wall from approximately six feet.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Craig
Before I hazard a try at depicting the beam profile, could you please clarify the following:
1) Your Beamshots show two depictions- one is a vertical rectangle and the other a square. Which one is the "head on shot" of the Sabrelight beam?
2) The claim is that there is no spill. I take it you mean corona or penumbra? I ask because the beamshots portray a short gradation from absolute hotspot to black. That would mean it has a very narrow penumbra. No spill would be depicted by a hard edge between hotspot and black.
Thanks,
Aten