1 x AA LED light with clicky - long runtime ?

Ted

Newly Enlightened
A good friend of mine wants a small flashlight for his kid (with a clicky switch) with a long runtime. It doesn't need to be that bright, runtime is more important.
For example an Arc AA with a clicky switch and half the brightness (double the runtime) would be perfect.

Would the TerraLUX MiniMax-1AA be any good? I've read in some posts that two versions were meant to come out, one with longer runtime and one with higher output?

MM1AA.jpg

Terralux

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Ted

--------------------------------------------------
Arc LSL-S/AA/AAA LE - SureFire G2 - Opalec Newbeam

LED_ASAP

Enlightened
Terralux is Luxeon-based, and it's waaay too bright for kids to play around with (could damage their eyes if looked directly into). I would suggest getting something like a Satcure unit in a 1xAAA or DD from a 2xAA type of thing.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe an Infinity Task Light? That thing will run around 20 to 30 hours on one AA battery. Almost kid proof, at least waterproof and can take a beating. They cost around $15.

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
How about a Dorcy 1AA or 1AAA LED light? Although it does not have a clicky, it does have a constant turn-on with a push button momentary switch. Plus they're both very cheap and easily replaceable, perfect for kids.

sidespill

Enlightened
I second the Dorcy 1AAA. It's like a Bic lighter cheap and good. With momentary switch it's less likely to be left on. however constant on is achieved by tightening the tailcap.

Greymage

Enlightened
Not quite 1AA, but Walmart has 3-in-1 LED flashlights that run off 3AA. They're pretty small with a click switch that lets you switch between yellow, green, and red. Fun to play with, cheap, and water resistant.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gotta agree with the Dorcey 1AAA single LED. $5.84 at Walmart. Or the Dorcey 1AA 3LED. $9.99 at Target.

The tailcap switches are momentary, not clickie, but that could be a good thing with a kid. Plus every kid likes to pretend they're doing Morse code, and the switch is perfect for that.

The original Infinity would have the best runtime, but no tail switch.

illmatic

Newly Enlightened
Since the TerraLux Minimax 1-AA was brought up in this thread, has anybody had any experience with this light? Are there two versions, a Luxeon and a 3x5mm LED? I did a search and came up with nothing.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Greymage said:
Not quite 1AA, but Walmart has 3-in-1 LED flashlights that run off 3AA. They're pretty small with a click switch that lets you switch between yellow, green, and red. Fun to play with, cheap, and water resistant.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is an excellent idea.

i got my nephew a palight workman--the one that turns itself off automatically.

it has a button switch, and takes a 9v bat. 9v arent cheap, but it takes a long time to drain one.

Bob

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
maybe some Starlites from Sino Union? pretty breakable, but they do come in a single aa verion, and also once it is broken just take out the bulb - the bulb is a led with dcdc converter built in, heck for the price of a 2-aa you might as well buy the 2-aa model, take out the bulb, and throw away the rest!!

P.S. the Starlite 213R (1-aa unit) is reviewed at THe Led Museum on this page