Amazing tour

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Had the most amazing tour today...

I visited a university where they run an LED lighting lab! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I saw some awesome prototypes, some that I don't think I can talk about yet, although all of them are using stock LEDs and Luxeons... LOTS AND LOTS of them.

Saw an LED traffic light up close... natch.

Saw a couple of prototypes of an aircraft landing strip beacon that uses an array of about 30-40 1 watt Luxeons with the Lumileds optic! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif When they fired these things up, I could not look into them directly, they were so bright! Wow. I also saw other LED prototypes, one of which uses clusters of 3-watt Luxeons with the same optics - couldn't look directly into that one either! Wow again.

One of the physicists who led the tour actually holds a patent for the HID automobile headlight! Altogether he holds over 70 patents. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Naturally he used to work at G-E. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Both men were extradordinarly gracious with their time while I toured the lab, and gave me permission to come back and grab a photo or two of one of their more "public" projects. Watch for a photo or two in the near future...

Kiessling

Flashaholic
so ... I think "near future" is just now!
where are my pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
so ... I think "near future" is just now!
where are my pics? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't want to wear out my welcome with them, but I hope to get back there soon with my digital camera. That was a neat place. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
0...Beamshots%20please_excl.png

Aten_Imago

Banned
Photonwrangler
This is what I was hoping to discover in joining CPF. I've been working on a white paper for nearly a year to contribute to an institute I belong to. I wonder if I can interview (debrief) you on your experience or whether you can share the name of the school,lab contacts etc. please PM me if you would.Tanks!
Ooops. I meant THANKS. ...got tanks on my brain for some reason!
Thanks!
A I /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif