Arc vs. Dorcy Conundrum

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's the problem. The Arc AAA is the perfect form factor for me, but the Dorcy AAA has the output I need. I've been rationalizing that the Arc is sufficiently bright, but it's not. There, I said it, unpopular thought it may be. What's a flashaholic to do? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
from roth's signature

"go not to the flashaholics for counsel, for they will say buy this and that" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

ugrey

Enlightened
Ron, I keep an ARC AAA on my key ring so that, when out of the house, I will always have a quality long lasting light on me. It also stands up very well to being banged around by the keys. In my other front pocket I keep a loose Dorcy AAA all of the time. If I lose it, at $6, its no big deal. When I take my keys out at home, the Dorcy stays in my pocket. I love the momentary button on the tail. I find the level of light on both about the same (eyeball test). Go, my son, and buy both and thou shalt be a true flashaholic. It works for me.

paulr

Flashaholic
The notion that the Dorcy 1AAA 1LED 5mm light is bright enough for something and the Arc AAA is not is bizarre. The different is too slight to matter in just about any circumstance. If the Arc AAA isn't bright enough, the next step is a Luxeon mod for it, or a Firefly, or a small incandescent (UKE 2AAA xenon or PT Blast). The UKE 2AAA eLED also might be of interest, since its focusing optic gives it quite a bit more throw than a bare led, though the total output is about the same.

sidespill

Enlightened
RonM said, " There, I said it, unpopular thought it may be. What's a flashaholic to do? "

At least he knew he'd catch heat for saying something about probabaly the most popular EDC to date. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dorcy is unregulated, so it actually might lose its brightness edge quicker. The Arc is semi-regulated, and is suppose to maintain 80% brightness with only 40% battery power. So, while the Dorcy starts off brighter, it may not necessary end up brighter?

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
357 said:while the Dorcy starts off brighter, it may not necessary end up brighter?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2x Dorcy 1AAA - both EDCs so batteries are well used and they both still look brighter than the ArcAAA I have with a virtually unused battery.

I think the Dorcy 1AAA's beam is not as refined/even as the ArcAAA - BUT its coverage and side-spill is a lot better - the Dorcy 1AAA has a larger hotspot and the overall coverage of usable light is about 82deg compared to the ArcAAA's 64deg - although the ArcAAA's coverage is not actually bad - in comparison using the ArcAAA is like looking down a tunnel - whereas (in comparison) the Dorcy 1AAA will light up a room or staircase much better.

So although in absolute brightness the Dorcy 1AAA might not be actually brighter than the ArcAAA - the Dorcy 1AAA IMHO actually has more usable light coverage.

Please see this thread:

Light Coverage - spill-diameter Pics

My suggestion - RonM you apparently already have a Dorcy 1AAA - try to EDC it as an in-pocket carry, instead of a keyring carry - and see how well it does like that.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the fine counsel friends. I must agree with Vincent. My Dorcy always seem brighter than my Arc, usually by a significant margin. Other than for close up work, it makes a difference. Walk into a dark hotel room with an Arc and it barely lights the far wall. With the Dorcy, the wall is easily lit and objects defined.

Yes, I could (and probably will) EDC the Dorcy, but it really is a lot bigger than the Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

pbarrette

Enlightened
Hi RonM,

This is my first post in these forums, so I will try to make it informative.

I stumbled across this site because I saw a site that carried the ArcAAA but they were out of stock. I traced back the manufacturer because I saw it, loved it and had to have one. Then I ended up here and quickly realized that I may never get a new one at a reasonable price depending on how things go with Mag. So, having been inspired by the multitudes of flashaholics here, I decided to build my own.

In the end, the easiest route for me (lacking milling machines, lathes and quick, easy access to surface mount components) was to buy the Dorcy 1AAA, tear up the circuit and rebuild it to fit into the Solitaire.

I have just completed v.2 of my dorcy/solitaire hybrid and am fairly pleased with its function and performance. I still have some bugs to work out in soldering components that small and retaining the twist-on function of the solitaire as well as securing the circuit pill, but hopefully that will be solved with v.3 of my hybrid mod.

So what I am getting at is this: Do your own dorcy/solitaire mod. Once modded, my solitaire outputs the same amount of light as the Dorcy 1AAA since it uses the same circuit, the same LED and the same power source. But.. It now has the form-factor of the Solitaire which makes it infinitely more EDCable and only slightly larger than the ArcAAA. Granted, my mod isn't perfect and due to the soli reflector and my imprecise positioning the beam shape isn't as good as the original, unmodded dorcy, but I think it is more than good enough for my own EDC and will replace my old Solitaire for EDC purposes.

Just my $0.02 (US, pre-tax) of course,
pb

PS: I will post a new thread later today on my mod in the appropriate section with pics and beamshots.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
RonM said:Yes, I could (and probably will) EDC the Dorcy, but it really is a lot bigger than the Arc /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I do realize that size and form-factor are personal things.

However this might be somewhat relevant.

I had been critical of the Dorcy 1AAA for being larger than necessary for a single AAA battery light.... and in comparison - indeed the ArcAAA is a marvel in engineering and miniaturization.

But in practice I found that the size of the Dorcy 1AAA was actually more comfortable in hand in use - and despite being bigger was actually a better in-pocket (non keyring) carry than the ArcAAA - as it was easier to locate and extract. Even the rubber inserts are well placed for activation of the tail-switch with one's thumb.

So the best thing is try carrying the Dorcy 1AAA as an EDC for a while - the "citicized" size might actually turn out to be better than one's initial expectations.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
The Dorcy tail switch *does* make a difference in usability and convenience. Being able to grab the light and immediately blast something quickly and conveniently is worth a lot. Having to twist the Arc on, then off again, is a hassle, especially if you're carrying a briefcase, groceries, whatever. You don't really get concerned if you lose it or if it gets banged up a bit.

The Arc does well sitting quietly for years on your keyring for those times when you really need it. The tough HA anodizing makes sure it lasts a long time.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:
The Arc does well sitting quietly for years on your keyring

[/ QUOTE ]

If one can disregard that the ArcAAA is a wonderfully built LED flashlight, about as good as a single AAA LED can be, currently -
for just a moment -

I feel the ArcAAA is still too big for easy keyring carry (nice as it might be).

A Photon or Inova Microlight - or even a 20 for $20 CountyComm LED - are "almost not there" on a keyring - for that backup/extra light.

I EDC a Yellow LED Photon 2 which is the only game if one wants yellow. I seem to see better under Yellow than any other color in terms of contrast and definition (but obviously not color recognition).

Also the advertized spec battery life for the Yellow Photon is 120 hours -

So the Yellow Photon will truly sit quietly for years on one's keyring........ (which my Mk.1 Photon yellow did for well over 7 years still on its original battery)

raggie33

*the raggedier*
well to say the least it is a unfair comparson the arc is like 500% more.now it may be 5 times better.that i cant answer since i dont own one.but i do love my dorcys

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
PB...you're a genius! Great mod.

Vincent, I just carry my Arc loose, since I don't like the bulk of keys in my pocket.

All, I'll try to EDC the Dorcy for a while and see how I like it.

Gasguy

Newly Enlightened
Dorcy LED mass produced lights. $6.00, first entry into the 1AAA LED light field. I'd say it's a roaring hit. I used to EDC a sonic until I got one. Just think of the next generation that may be in development. If they made it just a bit smaller with no reflector......hmmm. A home run. I know for a fact they sell out of the darn things at the Wal-mart by my house faster than they get them in.
I think they made it look like a regular flashlight for appeal to the common consumer.

alberto

Enlightened
I have the Arc AAA and the Dorcy AAA, but EDC a white Photon II. The Arc and Dorcy are positioned for close-up uses in my office and bedroom -- the Dorcy when one-hand momentary-on is best suited, and the Arc when full-on is most needed.

In my case, realizing mileage may vary, the Dorcy is brightest, then the Photon II, then the Arc. That's with new batteries in the Arc and Dorcy, original (1.5 year) battery in the Photon.

The Photon II is tough, easy to momentary/full-on with one hand, and is great on a ring with keys and a Leatherman Squirt. A larger light such as the Arc or Dorcy are just not the right form factor and size for an EDC front-pocket keyring light in my opinion.

Of course, each of these lights has a special place and best purpose, so it really isn't a matter of choosing one or the other -- get them all. They'll all serve you well.

RonM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to edc a Photon II until I got the Arc. Pocketability of the Photon is superb, but I'm not a fan of button batts. My lights get too much use.