Premium AA Request

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
I know that I've mentioned this before, but I've got to do it again. I would like to request a premium AA model. I like the slightly brighter beam on the AA and would enjoy it more with a less blue beam. Pretty please?

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought the AA's were using premium LED's. I may be wrong.

Blades

Mattman

Enlightened
My AA and AAA Premium have almost identical beam color so I think a premium AA would be redundant. Also, after a couple of comparisons with AAA standards, I decided that I wouldn't buy premiums anymore since the standard is cheaper and I think I like the beam color better (might be brighter, too).

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I've had a couple of AAs, both firsts. My current one is bluer and has a less even beam than my old one, so it appears to be luck of the draw.

daloosh

fuelblender

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Anti_candescent said:
I know that I've mentioned this before, but I've got to do it again. I would like to request a premium AA model. I like the slightly brighter beam on the AA and would enjoy it more with a less blue beam. Pretty please?

[/ QUOTE ]

The AA's already use the "premium" LED; check ARC's website.

srue

Newly Enlightened
Here is a quote from Peter in this thread. His post is near the bottom.

[ QUOTE ]
Gransee said:
Actually, the Arc-AA uses the same LED as the Standard Arc-AAA, the B2S Nichia. The larger reflector blends the beam to make it look less blue.

Peter

[/ QUOTE ]

More than an AA-Premium, I'd like to see an AA with a luxeon emitter in it.

Mattman

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
srue said:

More than an AA-Premium, I'd like to see an AA with a luxeon emitter in it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Joing the crowd (or is that mob?). One of these days Peter's going to come in here and tell us to give the Luxeon AA idea a rest. Until then we'll just keep dreaming about the possibility. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could keep the current down to around 200-250ma. It would still blow away the current Arc AA, and the color would be much better.

vj

Newly Enlightened
According to Arc, and as someone replied above, Arc-AAA Premium uses Nichia SB1 LED, whereas Arc-AA is SB2. So the AA is really a "Standard"; it's catalog number, BWS-NAT, also emphasizes that. My Arc-AA is reasonably white, so I'm happy with it. Given that the price of AA-standard is the same as AAA-premium, I don't know how much demand would be there for an AA-P. BTW, it's probably the price that makes most people think that AA is a premium. The idea of AA-LS sounds good to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

mridude

Newly Enlightened
I have now bought three AA's. Given away two as gifts and gave myself the last one. Unfortunately I felt I had to give back my 4+ rev.2 (after the switch fix)...it just was not working for me.
However there a features of the AA that are classic and maybe THE light to get from Arc if:

1.) A brighter, whiter LED, like the Luxeon Star.
2.) As stated on another thread, a 'Hi'-'Low' setting.
(possibly setable by the user, but not that important.)
3.) The ultra low brightness option that is available on the 4+ by triple clicking, (liked the feature-hated the clicking) would be great.
4.)Lose the tactical, blinking, S.O.S., features. They are needlessly confusing.
This thing is a tank, uses readily available AA batteries and is small and stands on its tail. Pump up the featues, sell forunder $100. Preferably under $75. And you've got a 'war winner'.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like my Arc AA, it was the beast that started my cravings for more Arcs. It would be great to have an Arc AA with a Luxeon however. My MicroIlluminator uses a single AAA, runs for two hours or so with the Luxeon being pushed at 155mA.
Granted, the MI uses an R3J ranked Luxeon to punch out serious brightness. Maybe some Q binned Luxeons at 200mA in the AA would be great. Make the head slightly bigger for a reflector and I will wait in line.
Alas, Peter needs to get those AAAs out the door so the Arc AA Luxeon will have to wait.

Anti_Candescent

Enlightened
Maybe I just got a real blue one, I've got a premium AAA and the AA's beam is very very blue next to it.....It's one of the new ones with just "ARC" around the batt. tube.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Maybe I got lucky. My AA from the first batch to go out is whiter than my standard AAA with no rings. What really impressed me was its absolutely flawless finish. It's still in a dead heat as favorite light (with LSL).

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd like to see one with a lux III, and a two stage switch - when it first turns on it's about the brightness of the standard aa, but twist it tighter and it drives the lux harder. That would make a great EDC with excellent battery life, and the option to sacrifice it for brightness.

I'm a dreamer. So sue me.

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc AA LS is one of the two biggest things I'd like to see from Arc at this point. The other is to bring back the twistie on the LS series. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That was a nice small light. Even short enough to mount to a headlamp strap. Could even swap it onto a keychain. Oh, and it stood on end for candle mode. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

RoninPimp

Newly Enlightened
I too would like a premium AA. The one I have now beam is colored good but its shape is really bad compared to my AAA's and LS. I won't buy another AA until I can be sure of it's beam quality.

For simplicities sake I like to use all AA's for my gear. That's why I bought a AA and use the AA tube on my LS. My digital camera also uses AA's. When I can afford it my GPS will use AA's. I have 8 NiMH AA and just rotate to never have to worry about dead cells. An AA with a Luxeon would fit perfectly into my "system". A high/low feature would be icing on the cake. Run time wouldn't be an issue since I use the mentioned NiMH batteries.

Peter, do I have to beg??? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.