Looking for padded, compatmentalized, storage....

sygyzy

Enlightened
So I have seen various storage solutions for flashlights around here. There is the old plastic fishing tackle trick. One slot for each flashlight - Not specific enough. And then there are the Pelican cases with the pluck foam - Too expensive.

What I am looking for is a solution like a padded knife case. Except for flashlights. Now we have to take into account that there are different sizes. Though the most popular sizes are, at least to me, CR123A. So ok, we have the width down. Now we can just account for various lengths. Probably 2x123A and have some extra long for Brinkman or Maglite AA.

I'd ideally want some sort of case that is soft, padded, and has some secure system of storing the lights. For example, stretchy loops! Then flashlights could just slide down and be secured. Why does it have to be soft? Well, I would want to throw this in a tactical bag. If it was a hard metal/plastic case, it would shake around and scratch or damage other stuff I had in there. Similar to how you'd put a small toiletries bag into your duffel travel bag, I'd want to have a case for flashlights I could throw into a larger case.

The need to have them secure and seperated is important so the lights themselves don't hit each other.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks a bunch and have a great day.

Topper

Flashaholic*
sounds like you want A knife roll. I do not remember where I got mine. It was an online Cutlery store maybe Smokey mountain knife works?
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened
Re: Looking for padded, compatmentalized, storage.

I don't want a plastic case for the reasons stated in my OP.

The knife roll idea might work if it could accomodate various lengths.

Topper

Flashaholic*

I wish I could post A link for a Knife Roll they come in different sizes
Topper

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

A knife roll is a good idea, I've only used chef's knife rolls and luggage, which are too long. But I've seen the ones people use for folding knife collections. I don't like the ones with elastic to hold the knives, but maybe one with pockets like this one:
ebay knife roll

I use a hard plastic case from the Container Store:
Infinite Divider

It's got seven slots about 7 inches long, fits most 2x123 and some 3x123 lights, and can be subdivided for smaller lights, like AAA and AA. The hard plastic case is not padded, but a piece of cloth would fix that in a jiffy. What I like about these boxes is that each compartment is separate, so definitely no clinking around!

daloosh

wiredgargoyle

Newly Enlightened
Knife rolls aren't hard to make if you're ambitious or have a crafty significant other. A sheet of canvas with some elastic loops sewn onto it and a couple of strings at the end to tie around when it's wrapped up...

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did a Froogle search for:

["knife roll" OR "tool roll"] without the brackets.

It's less tedious if you turn on '100 results' before you hit 'Search Froogle'.

Fairly wide selection. Depending on your situation, 2 rolls of different size might be appropriate. Or not. YMMV

I tried to list a results link -- but it came up unformatted.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast

Smokey mountain knifeworks they have several.

GregR

sygyzy

Enlightened

So I took out my knife roll and tried to fit some lights in. The problem is the size I like are made for folders and something the length of a E2E doesn't even fit. It's close but not quite. A Longbow Micra fits just fine.

I thought to myself and even if I had a larger one, I am not sure if I'd want to have such a large knife roll full of flashlights.

So I am still trying to find the perfect solution.

haley1

Enlightened

Camping stores sell molded foam cases with zippers for stuff like binoculars, cell phones, ect. You could probably find the size you need and then add some foam cutouts inside for whatever you need. It wouldn't be waterproof, but would keep out most weather if not left out in the rain. Some even float.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like soft sides cases too. I want something like those little computer toolkits they sell cheap. They have a zipper around three sides and little loops inside that hold the screwdrivers and such. I've thought about buying a could of those little kits but they are made cheap and the loops wouldn't all be in the right places. I've thought about buying some PDA cases or small paper organizer/planner cases and fix a cardboard or plastic piece to the inside and sew some elastic bands to it.

Latest posts