doggie blinker needed

Darell

Flashaholic
Ok, who can point me to the smallest red LED blinky light to hang from my dog? I've seen them before, and can't find them now that I need one
frown.gif

When we travel, I'm forced to walk my dog in strange, unlit areas. I've got plenty of lights for me, but if Zeke ever manages to slip his leash, I'd like him to be visible so I can hunt him down.

Thanks,
Darell

Darell

Flashaholic
Hey Craig -

Perfect timing. It IS good to know that the flasher will be OK if my dog stumbles into 300 feet of water... and sinks. Should make locating him easier.

[edited to remove band-width-hogging picture]

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks John. I found this there too:

Pet saver

It doesn't say how it is lighted or powered though
frown.gif

I've already purchased a couple of Pelicans, so I'll see how those go first. Has anybody used one of those collars?

InTheDark

Enlightened
I just use a red photon II hanging from my dog's chain. Works much, much, better than the blinker that I used to have. And when she's done with it, I can put it back on my keychain.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Leon never roams the Santa Monica Mountains without his radio telemetry collar: http://www.wildlifematerials.com/index.html
...this is the only transmitter I've found that puts the antenna inside the collar...
$115 for transmitter collar, $225 for receiver...and worth every red cent when you need to find your kitty...meow...;>)

InTheDark

Enlightened
Actually, the red photon provide much better side light (in a way) than the blinker. When my dog is running around, the photon swings everywhere, so it's almost always shining where I can see it. The blinker I had attached to the collar, and it seemed like it was always facing in the wrong direction and I would have to wait until my dog turned around before I could see her. I was planning on making my own dog collar and sewing 6 or 8 led's around it, but then I figured it's just a waste of time and money since this works just as well.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
darell said:
It [lighted collar] doesn't say how it is lighted or powered though
frown.gif
It's a pretty cool setup. It has a small control circuit with an LED, powered by two Li coin cells (2025 or 2016).

The LED is stuck in some type of clear flexible material that acts as a light pipe.

The light pipe is sandwiched between a reflector and a clear/yellow outer covering.

The whole affair is stuck on top of a normalish collar made of black nylon webbing. It has a D ring for attachment to a leash and the size is adjustable.

The LED (red) lights up the light pipe and is bounces off the reflective material.

The effect is the whole collar that is covered with this stuff (2/3 ish) blinks or glows red.

The circuit provides three modes, off, on-solid, on-blink.

-john

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by InTheDark:
I just use a red photon II hanging from my dog's chain. Works much, much, better than the blinker that I used to have. And when she's done with it, I can put it back on my keychain.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well THAT's a great idea. And here I have three photons sitting around. Somehow I thought the blinker might offer more side light, but the power of the photon bouncing off the ground would probably be a good enough source. Well, I have lots of things to try now.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
It's a pretty cool setup. It has a small control circuit with an LED, powered by two Li coin cells (2025 or 2016).
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the great description, John. The site actually mentions the LED and the batteries for the collar. My comment about no info was from the "pet saver" thing that I put a link to.

Do you use one of these collars (for a pet I assume
smile.gif
) or do you just know a lot about them? It sounds great! What the heck - I haven't bought anything for Zeke in a while. Make a good Xmas gift for him.

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
Yes, I have one. Here are some pics of the LED collar.
-john
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Excellent! Thanks John. Guess I'll have to get one of those too! When they're back in stock...

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
darell said:
Well THAT's a great idea. And here I have three photons sitting around. Somehow I thought the blinker might offer more side light, but the power of the photon bouncing off the ground would probably be a good enough source. Well, I have lots of things to try now.
Yes, very interesting idea.

Also, consider a Photon 3 for blink mode + water resistance, although even more interesting would be the Rav'n Party Light or the Photon 3 Crystal + Rav'n Part Light Crystals... Hmm.
http://www.photonlight.com/index2.html
http://ledmuseum.home.att.net/ledleft.htm

-john

Last edited: