best e:mail program? i've got Eudora pro

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
best e:mail program? i\'ve got Eudora pro

The only real e:mail program I've ever used is Eudora and Eudora pro for the last 8 years and was wondering what I might be missing out on. I don't want to use outlook express and want a separate software that isn't difficult to use. Any suggestions as to what you've found to be good software or a direction I can look in?

jhereg

Enlightened
Re: best e:mail program? i\'ve got Eudora pro

I haven't found anything better than Eudora Pro. I've been using it for years. Wanted to go to Linux several times, but didn't find an email program that was comparable, so I'm still running XP. :-(

B@rt

Flashaholic

Another vote for "the Bat" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS09

Enlightened

I have see on the site that there is the student licenze for 25 EUR and personal licenze for 35 EUR.What is it the difference ?

Pietro.

Bill.H

Enlightened

Stick with Eudora.

The next release of Agent is supposed to have revised email, I'll see how that is when it comes out, but so far nothing as good as Eudora.

I don't blame you for avoiding Outlook Express /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsdown.gif

cy

Flashaholic

Thunderbird absolutely is wonderful. Rock stable even though it has not reach 1.0 release.

The best thing about Thunderbird is the built-in spam filter. It has a intelligent baylian filter that learns as you go. It will dump spam into the trash without even touching it. Best of all it has a feature to prevent html from automatically loading.

Not perfect, but the currently the best!!! hands down and free to boot. Mozilla is supported by a very_large communiity.

darkgear.com

Enlightened

I just Love how every one of these programs claim "the most powerful" Spam filtering :p

Anyone know of an email program that you can record macros?
That is my one wish for my email proggy.

Best regards,
Randy

jtice

Flashaholic

I am trying out Thunderbird, looks good so far.
But, I dont know the info for hotmail.

Outlook just lets you select Hotmail.

What are the server settings and POP settings for hotmail?

Thanks

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have used Eudora for years but confess outlook works for me fine at work. Tried Thunderbird and found it very admirable for a free program. I didn't like the fact that it opened up individual windows rather then windows contained within the program like Eudora.

Hey, has anybody ever used 1st mail checker?
http://www.lockbyte.com/product-1stMC.html

I now use it in conjunction with Eudora. It will check your email and only download the headers, leaving the mail on the server. It is very good for deleting junk email and suspected virus emails before it reaches your pc. I run 1st checker all the time and when receive mail noticfication, check it out and delete the ones at the server level I don't want to download and then open Eudora to download the ones I do.

K A

Enlightened

I have used Pegasus Email for years. I do very little email so see no reason to change. According to their website they have not released any minor (or major) changes since July of 2003. Their current level of spam defense is by keyword so it leaves a lot to be desired.

K A

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
geepondy said:
Hey, has anybody ever used 1st mail checker?
http://www.lockbyte.com/product-1stMC.html

I now use it in conjunction with Eudora. It will check your email and only download the headers, leaving the mail on the server. It is very good for deleting junk email and suspected virus emails before it reaches your pc. I run 1st checker all the time and when receive mail noticfication, check it out and delete the ones at the server level I don't want to download and then open Eudora to download the ones I do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I use an old version of MailWasher for that purpose. I have Cox's spam filtering turned on my accounts to flag stuff with --spam-- in the subject line and at the same time watch MailWasher use DNSBLs to flag stuff as well.

I could simply delete the stuff quickly and painlessly but I try to file everything into SpamCop so they can generate a report to the offending ISP so they can take care of the computer that is being used as a relay point.

turbodog

Flashaholic

Latest version of pegasus has several levels of spam control. I am not up on the terminology, but I think it's a little more than simple keyword level.

Negeltu

Enlightened

Thunderbird now learns what YOU consider spam and junkmail... then handles those pieces of mail depending on your settings.

jtice

Flashaholic

So, no one knows the settings I need to type in to get my hotmail accounts to work on Thunderbird? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

cy

Flashaholic
Re: best e:mail program? got to be Thunderbird

[ QUOTE ]
jtice said:
So, no one knows the settings I need to type in to get my hotmail accounts to work on Thunderbird? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I've only used Hotmail in a browser. I had no idea it was integrated into outlook.

I would simply open up a browser to hotmail and log in.

Thunderbird is a stand alone mail client. All it does is take care of email functions.

In the latest version there is an option to clear out your spam filter learning logs. I cleared it out and was cussing up a storm, but the pain was short lived. It started to recognize spam VS real email very_quickly.

Be sure and enable the option to prevent pictures from autoloading in email. most spam is send via a picture to try defeat spam text filters.

I also enabled sending spam to trash folder instead of spam folder. Less handling. when spam filter is taught, you will get almost no false positives.

In fact I have gotten so confident, I don't check trash anymore for real email.