American Flag...

matt_j

Enlightened
Do you wear it? Do you have it somewhere? About 80% of my clothes have flag patch, same goes for my car and couple of other misc items. I saw the big rise in flags after 911 but right now it all seems to fade away. What is your opinion about displaying your national pride? I heard people saying that having a flag makes you a target. I don't care I will wear our colors forever.

Matt

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
i fly a rather large one in front of my house. im a little surprised that there is only 1 other flag on our street.

i dispay it appropriately, and when it wears out (about 2 years) i fold it correctly, and take it to the VFW, where it is disposed of with respect.

Bob

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I probably wouldn't wear a flag except the lapel pin i wore at work or in suits. There's one on a backpack I have. I had a flag sticker on my car until it started getting faded, and then I never had a chance to replace it before it died (but I was getting ready to leave the country anyway so no big deal). I do have some flag stickers on other things, my water bottle, X-Box, gun safe. I think that's it right now.
I'm wearing a flag on my right shoulder, but that's the uniform. Now it's part of the uniform of everyone in the Army, whether deployed or not.

I don't really think that a flag patch looks too good on most clothes. Some designs actually violate the US Code about the display of flags, not that it's eforceable anymore.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, the flag code (you can google for that and find lots of copies on the internet to read the details if you want) is very specific about what you can and cannot do with a flag. Of course, none of it is enforceable /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif this is America after all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif (for a while yet anyway) but putting a decal on your car is not really appropriate. Although having it on a little post attached to the fender is OK as long as it's on the right hand side and things like that.

also those decals that show it waving, or partially waved or however are not OK, and it should not be worn as clothing ever, except in the form of a patch. The code suggests that you wear a flag oriented with the stars closest to your heart, but this is not required. You'll see some uniforms that have a flag patch on both sleeves and they are mirror images of each others so that the blue is facing inward. But they can also be the same according to your uniform rules.

Basically you're not supposed to display it in a casual manner. Like slapping a bumper sticker on the car.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
On top of my house.

flag1.jpg

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Nitro said:
On top of my house.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I keep saying one of these days I'm going to pick up one of those old early 19th century US Navy "Don't Tread On Me" flags and fly that on my roof. I can just see the head-scratching neighbors now.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
After religiously flying the flag for the past 22 years, I'm considering discontinuing that practice. Our state just passed an antidesecration law that can be too broadly interpreted.

There are so many rules about proper flag display that it's downright anal and hypocritical. You may get arrested for burning the flag, yet, that's the proper disposal - but only by certain people. I'm fed up with the new flag laws and lobbied my legislators against it.

I'm afraid that the new laws will be selectively inforced for political purposes - now THAT's real desecration.

Topper

Flashaholic*
I never understood the do not fly one at night unless lit up
heck the song says rockets red glare bombs bursting in air gave proof in the night that the flag was still there. I guess that means we used to fly it at night before flood and spotlights were around. I may be misstaken.
Topper /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif