custom my own LED?

M

mmx380

Hi guys, I am new here and also new for LED light. Just wonder is it possible to take the shell of the LED away and custom my own shell by using silicone? Is the shell a part of the structure of the whole thing to make it work?

Greymage

Enlightened
No, the housing is just the housing, you can machine most of it away. Just be careful not to break the wires connecting the die to the pins.

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Be CAREFUL!!

I knocked the lens off a LS once and the yellow phospher stayed in the lens and NOT on the led!! I then had a very bright blue/uv light!

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
If you're talking about cutting down a 5mm, you should know that many types are also available in 3mm (1/8"). And other shapes, like rectangle, are available. Then there are surface mount!

BTW - speaking of cutting, does anyone know the Brewster angle for the epoxy they use on the leaded lamps?

M

mmx380

Thanks guys, i am tring it out now, and will let you know. But it seems hard to take the casing away, as the wire is very very fine.

gwbaltzell

Enlightened
Be careful, if you take away too much or over heat the epoxy you may tear the wire bond away from the die. There is a limit to how much you can remove.