Saab Fuel Pump Wrench

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, here's a long shot, not being flashlight related..

Anyone ever change a fuel pump on a Saab before?
There's a retaining lockring that holds it in place on the tank, and I need the spanner wrench to remove it, and it's not a commonly available item, apparently. Dealers and parts places don't carry anything of the sort.

I'm about to weld one up to do the job, but if anyone knows where I might be able to get one, it'd save me the trouble-

For a 93 9000CS, to be specific..

Patrick Hayes

Newly Enlightened
On my old 900 I used a BRASS punch and a BRASS hammer to remove that ring. Just placed the punch on the edge of the cut out of the ring and tapped it loose. Just be sure to use non sparking tools.
Patrick

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one is on particularly tight; I already tried that with little success except to ding up the vanes. I think the o-ring seal is absorbing the impact and holding it nicely sealed.
I tried a long spanner too, to contact two of the edges at 180 degrees, but it wouldn't budge before fracturing one of the vanes. Figured I'd better stop there to get the right tool or a reasonable facsimile, before I cracked another.

I assume it DOES come off with a CCW rotatation, right? Hope it's not just due to the thing being bass-ackwards threaded!

Saaby

Flashaholic
How is the Saab anyway? My dad just got a 9-5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it turns out, the IMON Merkur group came up with some creative solutions, and I made this:

Improvisation.jpg

with the end result of this:
OneRing.jpg

Retaining ring, removed non-destructively!

It was a Home Depot 4 buck solution, PVC pipe adapter that just happened to be the *perfect* diameter, and, using an Excel template to get the precise 20 degree intervals, cut notches out to fit the splines.

None of the usual sources turned up the "proper" tool for the job, but this improvisation works as well as I could have expected.

Next step is awaiting delivery of the replacement pump, $70, since I didn't want to buy this whole pump assembly at $400:
pumpassy.jpg

The excised part:
pump.jpg

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well done! Making your own tools is very satisfying when they work as planned. Did you find out how much SAAB wanted for the "factory approved" tool? I bet you saved a boat load of $.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Zelandeth said:
Well, this is a question very much suited to another forum I occasionally visit (Was planning on getting a Saab C900 a while back, plan never materialised though). Pretty much guarantee that your question will be answered here.

Saab Central

[/ QUOTE ]

Just joined up and looking through their archives to see if there's been any mention of this- Looks like a pretty active site, thanks for the pointer!

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
smokinbasser said:
Well done! Making your own tools is very satisfying when they work as planned. Did you find out how much SAAB wanted for the "factory approved" tool? I bet you saved a boat load of $.

[/ QUOTE ]
I couldn't even GET a figure for the factory tool; maybe I was asking in the wrong place, but the guy said flatly that they don't sell tools- (this was from the parts guy, don't know who else would have tools).

An online place had a aftermarket tool that was supposed to be for this purpose, for $148, but the picture of the item didn't look like it was for this kind of ring.
I'm sure the official Saab-seal-of-approval tool would cost upwards of $300. It was suggested that I try the dealer service dept. to see if they would loan the tool if I left a full deposit for the cost of the tool, but I decided to save myself the embarrassment of rejection, which I'm sure would be the outcome, not having any in's to their shop.

The ring didn't yield until I contorted myself into position to use my *foot* to torque the thing off, so it's safe to say there was no way to remove it without being able to engage all the splines simultaneously.

Anyone else needs to remove the retaining ring from their 93 Saab 9000, give me a hollar, I've got your tool- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
How is the Saab anyway? My dad just got a 9-5 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Saaby, it's been running well, this being the first time it's left me immobile. Luckily, it wasn't on the road, but it just failed to start one morning, while parked. A good sign.
It's not a zippy feeling car, but very well mannered on the road, unflappable over the rough stuff.

Congrats on the nice 9-5. I don't buy new cars anymore; what, and miss all this fix-up funnery?

Saaby

Flashaholic
:-D when I get a Saab, hopefully in a few months here, it'll be PLENTY old. Think 92 9000, my dad sure loves the 9-5 though. As a side benefit, when I do borrow a car, it's his I usually borrow /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif which used to be a minivan, but now--Sweeden baby!