Source for Quality 5mm White Leds?

StuU

Enlightened
It's been a while since I've bought any 5mm white leds but I'm looking at a homemade Inova X5 project. Does anybody know a good source in terms of quality. I have heard rumours about Chinese 5mm leds which last only about 50 hours before failing....

I guess that Paul at whiteleds.com is still in business and have had good results with him. Also lsdiodes seems to have good prices but don't know about quality. Other sources?

Still the quality issue is my concern. Anybody have any good recent source references?

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like LSDiodes, and have never had any problems with their LEDs. I'm sure you can find some top of the line ones other places, if you don't mind paying top dollar.

-Mike

StuU

Enlightened
I was leaning toward lsdiodes as their prices and shipping are great. Good to get some real experiences..

Didn't someone mention that the 8000mcd whites are better than the 12000mcds in terms of beam quality??

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure about the quality... but following the unofficial CPF motto: Order Both! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Mike

StuU

Enlightened
I have recently gotten a bunch of Dorcy Spyders at a salvage store. About $7.00/each. I built one into a 6 led version of the Inova X5 and it is already becoming one of the most used lights around the house. A *very* nice floodlight with good balance, weight, & general feel.

The Dorcy is not hard to mod and has a lot of working room in the head area. Also, enough room in the battery compartment for a regulator board or resistors. The aluminum reflector polishes down nicely for a high quality flood effect with luxeon.Thinking about an 8-led version and maybe a few for Christmas gifts.

Of course, luxeons will be installed in a few more. I'm considering Downboy board with a Q-bin star with either Fraen or Electrolumens SX reflector for these? I guess resistors would work also.
Stu

LukeK

Enlightened
I haven't ordered from LS Diodes, but I have ordered from whitelightleds.com. Paul is still in business and he shipped my order the very next day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

StuU

Enlightened
Paul was great to work with. He once shipped my leds before my payment had arrived.