How I killed my SF L1

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a L1 for its size, and its double duty. And because it fits my hand perfectly, where I find problems with the Arc4+.
Few days ago it fell off my pocket, from less than one meter of height. It fell on its rubber boot (the switch).

I noticed that the light was turning on by pushing the switch, but not by twisting the tailcap anymore.

I opened the tailcap. It is rather easy with the proper tool. The switch is made with three metallic brushed that, with little push of the switch or one turn of the tailcap touches the metallic body of the L1, turning on the light on low. A stronger push, or a farther twist of the tailcap, makes those brushes to touch the L1 body AND a contact on a PCB underlying the metallic brushes: this turns the light on high.

As effect of the fall, ALL three brushed were broken; note, not BENT, but BROKEN, with three tiny fingers of the brushes fallen apart.

The reason for the "break" of the brushes is due to the fact they are constituted of a very elastic alloy that has no resilience at all. Like many mechanical clocks...

I got another L1, but I have been very surprised from this weakness. Other SF lights (namely, the E2E+KL1 combo) had taken much worse beats, even on the rubber boot, with no degradation, or failure, at all.

Anthony

Size15's

Flashaholic
I believe that SureFire has made changes to the two-stage TailCap. What's the serial number of the L1 with the busted TailCap?

And the new one?

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Al,

the old: A04974
the new: A04990
I bought them at same time. Also, the tailcap is exactly the same of my two A2s.
What is the improvement? I may well buy some more, or try to order new tailcaps. As you know, it can be a long journey from here...
Thanks
Anthony

Starshiptrupr

Newly Enlightened
Mine hit tail first on tile once, still in my holster on my duty belt. (I had set it on a counter and it crawled off!) It must have hit at an angle since it still nicked the edge of the tailcap in a few places. I've been lucky so far.. Thanks for the warning!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/knight.gif

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Al,

Do you think the SN will really tell you much? Are there any pictures around of the first style tail cap compared to the newer ones? The new style has a raised knurl on the profile and that's it. The first gen had a couple shallow grooves turned into the cap on either side of the knurl. If this cap is the first gen, then there is definitely a newer version with either better or protected leaf contacts.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Thanks for the serials. I have one that is in the 5100's I believe. I'm not sure if it's possible to tell the change based on the Serial Number. SureFire doesn't use them for that as far as I can work out.

If your TailCap is broken I'm sure that SureFire will replace it for you. You could also contact the Italian Distributer or larger Dealers to see if they can get a replacement for you.

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, is the knurling on the tailcaps different? I have a handful of L1's, and IIRC there are at least 2, maybe 3, different tailcap knurling styles. I take a pic and post it tonight if you like.

-Mike

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don and Al, are these "old style" tailcaps?

The one on the right (not the green) has the serial number:
A00018 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks,
Britt
standard.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Britt,
Those are both the new style cap. I don't know if there have been new itterations in the switch assembly itself since this new style cap but I do know that the original switch assembly that was prone to broken leafs was not included with the style cap shown.

turbodog

Flashaholic
In order to better compare the old and new style, could someone post pics of the old style as well. I have an a2 that I would like to know one way or the other about.

Thanks in advance.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's good to hear. Thanks, Don. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
woah, man! how do you manage to get that kind of dough? i can bareley afford a SF l1, its really friggin expensive here ($200). ill make sure to be very careful for mine when i get it in october (when i have my b day)

Neg