Weather Map!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
wxradar.jpg

I'm 35 miles SW of Ft Worth and all that stuff to the west is coming my way!!!

Lux Luthor

Flashlight Enthusiast
Roy,

Now would be a good time to run out and buy a flashlight in case the power goes out. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
That must have been what passed over us last night. It was nasty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif Lots of flash floods and heavy winds.

It was the first time I heard an actual warning from the weather service after that god aweful alert tone. It was not a test! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I'll have my scanner ready keeping an ear on the Skywarn freq's. I'm starting to re-think the plans I had for tonight too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon8.gif

I have a feeling this is going to be a good (in a BAD way) storm... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Later Roy!

Stefan

Enlightened
Roy, just wondering.... but what county are you in? I'm wanting to monitor this, but don't know what area would be affecting you.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's one I saved from about a year ago:

warnings.png

Seven counties under tornado warning and five under severe thunderstorm warning. Those storms were "training" in a line along I-30 from Hot Springs up through Little Rock. It was creepy.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Tree said:
It was the first time I heard an actual warning from the weather service after that god aweful alert tone. It was not a test! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope those twisters fizzle without harming any people or property.

Many years ago I found myself in the unique position of being the one to actually make that awful announcement, after I'd gotten a call that the office that normally triggers that alert was flooded and out of commission. I dashed across the parking lot in a drenching rain that was coming down sideways, with a tornado sighted within a couple of miles of where I was, and I arrived in the transmitter building soaking wet, out of breath, rattled, wondering if the tower was going to come down on my head, and I was barely able to get the announcement out. And when I hit the mike, it went out everywhere. Wow.

When I came into work the next day, people were stopping me in the hall and asking "Was that YOU?!" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Anyway, the twister passed by and apparently it only touched down briefly and very lightly before it moved off. Whew! What a break for everyone. That was a little too close for me!

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
Luckly, the storm system fell apart as it got into Hood Co.. Lucked out this time.

Lebkuecher

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tennessee can have some real bad storms. I sometimes will see a tornado in the spring. A few years ago I saw three in one summer, that the most I've ever seen in one year. We actually had a tornado come through down town Nashville about four years ago. It did some damage to the stadium that was being built for the Tennessee Titans.

How many of you have weather radios? I would highly recommend them if you were in an area that gets a lot of bad weather. I use a Midland; just program your county code into it and when the National Weather Service issues a warning it sounds an alarm and then turns the radio on.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Lebkuecher said:
How many of you have weather radios? I would highly recommend them if you were in an area that gets a lot of bad weather. I use a Midland; just program your county code into it and when the National Weather Service issues a warning it sounds an alarm and then turns the radio on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got an Oregon Scientific All-Hazards portable unit. It's a little rough on battteries, so I only fire it up when I'm expecting bad weather, but I do take it with me when I'm hiking.

Frenchyled

Flashaholic*
Besides my passion for flashlights, I like very much the extraordinary climatic phenomena, even if I am afraid of it.

Here in France we have no tornado as to you. It must be terrible and devastating?

Good luck !

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Wowser Roy!

I used your map to get to the website for NOAA.

I looked at a map for Houston (ugly!) then clicked on sattelite photo. At THAT moment, there was a window of no bad stuff. I quickly loaded up the dogs and headed home.

Wasn't there 5 minutes before heavy rain returned!

Good thing I saw your post when I did!

Thanks!

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonWrangler said:
I've got an Oregon Scientific All-Hazards portable unit. It's a little rough on battteries, so I only fire it up when I'm expecting bad weather, but I do take it with me when I'm hiking.

[/ QUOTE ]
I too have an Oregon Scientific All-Hazards portable. But we rarely get truly bad weather here, so it is of limited use in that regard. :p

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
One is enough to rattle you. January '99 they wouldn't stop coming. Fema said 54. Some of the weather guys said 71...in one 24 hour period.
vis_jan21_29.GIF