Troy Movie Review

BruiseLee

Enlightened
All I can say is this film was awesome! I throughly enjoyed it. I found the story very involving and easy to follow, even though it is quite complex and takes place 3000 years ago.

I'd say this film is on the level of Lord of the Rings. It looks beautiful, and lots of special effects bring the ancient world to life. There is also the spectacle of seeing the thousand ships of the Greek invasion fleet, and the huge Greek and Trojan armies engaging in melee combat to enjoy.

Speaking of combat, the fight scenes featuring Achilles are great. Especially exciting is his match against this giant warrior at the beginning, and his climactic battle against Hector towards the end. Oddly, I found the fight scene between Achilles and his younger cousin to be a little weak - Brad Pitt is definitely no Jett Li!

The only part about the film I seriously question is the casting of Brad Pitt as Achilles. First of all, he seems to be performing a clone performance of Russell Crowe in Gladiator. Secondly, and this may just be me, he is just so buff in this film it is disturbing. I mean the guy looks like Arnold der Governator in Conan. He is just so muscular in this film I kept wondering was if it was some kind of special effect or make-up. Of course, I'm a guy - I'm sure the ladies will enjoy the pumped up Mr. Pitt.

Again, maybe it's just me, but I thought Orlando Bloom who plays Paris looks disturbingly like Frodo in Lord of the Rings. People also laughed at a couple of places in the film where they weren't supposed to during his scenes.

I doubt this will bother anyone, but the film does take a fair amount of liberties from Homer's Iliad. I've never been able to finish reading the Iliad despite two attempts, but I can tell you it differs from Homer in significantly. The most obvious difference to me is that in the Iliad the Gods play an active part in story, whereas in movie they are mentioned and workshiped a lot, but don't take an active part in the story. But, probably not 1 moviegoer in 1000 has read the Iliad, so this is definitely not a big deal.

To sum up: see this movie! Wolfgang Petersen is a great director. Guys will love the action. The ladies will love Brad. The German actress who plays Helen of Troy ain't no slouch, either. The story is excellent and well told. Well worth the price of admission, highly recommended!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
wow, nice review, thanks

i haven't watched the movie yet, but planning to do so soon. it is just a sad fact that the gods aren't playing active part of the story /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Does it ended up like helen of troy? personally, i much prefer to have the battle of the gods, instead of the achilles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif but that is just an opinion of one guy, others may differ.

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
is it true that there is a scene where a guard tells the king "Helen has left with the Trojans..."? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/huh.gif

Bob

Greta

Flashaholic
The previews for this movie look good and after this review, I really want to see this movie. I'm not a huge Brad Pitt fan... ok, I'm not a fan at all!... except in "Twelve Monkeys"... he was great in that!... but I digress. I'm anxious to see "Troy". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

hijacksign..gif

I went to see "Van Helsing" the other night. I loved it!
happy14.gif
But then, I'm a huge fan of "League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" and "Van Helsing" reminded me alot of that one. I really liked the literary references... I'm sure there were many that I missed!... and I liked the occasional "comic relief" whether by one liners or just facial expressions. Good, fun movie... perhaps not for children... but my 13 year old enjoyed it alot.

Anyone anxious to see "The Chronicles of Riddick"? Now THERE'S a guy who could make any movie at all and I'd sit there and drool all of myself thinking it was the greatest film every made... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been in a movie theater in a year, but I think I'll go see Troy.

I rented League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and watched it three times! I thought the scene where the vampiress drained that guy in front of the others then pulled out her compact to get the blood off her mouth was the funniest moment on film I've seen in years.

"Van Helsing" looks great. I want a closer look at that repeating crossbow. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm reading the novelization of "The Chronicles of Riddick" and it sounds like it may be even better than "Pitch Black".

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Britt

Size15's

Flashaholic
The Chronicles of Riddick, Day after Tomorrow, Troy, HP3 are all on my to see list.

I was disappointed with Van Helsing. I was expecting more from Kate Beckinsale after Underworld which was great.
Hugh Jackman could be the next Bond...

But Troy looks awesome. I hope to see it tomorrow.

I got The Last Samurai (R1), Peter Pan (R1) and the BlackHawk Down (SuperBit R3) on DVD and RotK should be delivered today (Saturday).

I never got to see League of Extraordinary Gentlemen but I really wanted to see it. I'll have to borrow it.

But back to Troy - I was surprise how good The Last Samurai was and I hope that Troy will surprise me as well.

Al

Size15's

Flashaholic
Just seen Troy - It's a big movie but it didn't seem huge though. Perhaps because I didn't connect with the huge armies. It didn't have much emotion or gravitas or passion really... So it wasn't epic like Last Samurai or Lord of the Rings but still a good movie.

It was previewed on the largest screen of my local multiplex and was all the better for it I think.

The actual city of Troy was amazing. I think they have this type of "set" down to a fine art now.

Oh, and the women were hot - perhaps I would have given them more screen time if I was directing...

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just saw Troy last night. I agree with Al, it was a good movie, and one of the better one's I've seen recently. Personally I think it was a little bit on the long side, but still definitely worth seeing. The scale of things was just amazing. Be forewarned: it's rated R because of gore and like BruiseLee said, a lot of skin showing. Worth seeing? Definitely.

-Mike

Size15's

Flashaholic
It was only a "15" over here in the UK. There wasn't any gore! I was actually a little disappointed with the lack of graphic horrific violence and gore.
There was no real nudity either.
I was hoping for more violence and nudity really. Perhaps its just me but I expect debauchery and licentiousness.

It was long perhaps but then try reading the Iliad. I only checked the time just the once which is usually a good sign.

Al

Xrunner

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are different versions of films released in different countries? The US version I saw had very minimal "real" nudity but plenty of skin.

-Mike

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I found this 2003 DVD of the TV miniseries absorbing and entertaining despite mixed reviews. The Trojan horse episode was skillfully and convincingly portrayed though I was a little disappointed by the absence of flashlights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif. If you're looking for absolute faithfulness to the Iliad neither movie fills the bill.

B00005JMH8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Brightnorm

Size15's

Flashaholic
There may well have been some edits to get a 15 certificate but I doubt it. Films that are 15 lately would have to 18 only a couple of years ago...

Thanks for the headsup about Helen of Troy Brightnorm!

Al

turbodog

Flashaholic
brad pitt looked so buff because he is... he supposedly worked out for about a solid year to get ready for this movie

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Al,

I always feel a little cautious recommending movies because people's tastes are so different. Helen of Troy wasn't a "great" film but it was entertaining and I enjoyed it.

BN

Size15's

Flashaholic
I'm not going ban you from CPF if I don't like it! No worries! If I'm honest, I'll likely never get around to seeing it...

Shanghaied

Newly Enlightened
Saw Troy on Friday and thought it was okay, but nothing more. Have a couple of thoughts though:

Although some thought the film was too long, I actually think it could be a bit longer, like a two-part film or a trilogy. Even though there are gigantic battle scenes the film simply didn't feel epic enough, it felt just like a couple of thousand friends got together and sacked Troy in a weekend (not ten years!)and got home before Christmas. Maybe giving some more screen-time to tell the some of the stories of the other heroes would help(like for example how Odysseus did not wish to fight in the war but was forced to anyway, or how Agamemnon sacrificed his daughter to get the gods' blessing, or Ajax going insane...), you know, just give the audience an idea of how much this war had changed the lives of the people in it... but then again this might just be me talking....

Again as someone said earlier, people tend to find Orlando's Paris comical somehow. In the showing that I saw, the entire theater laughed for fives minutes at certain point of the film that involved Paris. Don't know what that says about Orlando Bloom's acting...

They did say the film was "inspired" by Homer's Iliad, I'd say that's the right word to use, because they really changed a LOT of things. I'm actually glad that the gods did not play an active role in the film, although I have to say that I disliked the film's ending.

Well that was that, hope that I didn't give anything away...

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
I'm not going ban you from CPF if I don't like it! No worries! If I'm honest, I'll likely never get around to seeing it...

[/ QUOTE ]

If you do see it and like it could I have one of you 9NT's?
(No response required) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I know you're kidding but I have to check. Would you consider selling me one of yours?

BN