What do I "need" to get next?

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened
What do I \"need\" to get next?

I just bought one of those Lifestyles Fascinations (Nuwai) 5W 3x123 LED lights and I couldn't be happier with the ~$68 spent (including shipping). GREAT throw (for an LED), nice flood. Short of stepping up to a big gun like the L4 (Field Marshall Von Wife would never approve the disbursement), I'm a happy camper. I'm wondering if I'm disturbing the neighborhood with that thing when I walk the dog -- Von Wife has found one positive thing regarding my emerging flashaholism, I'm more enthusiastic about those midnight dog walks...

Now I'm wondering, where to from here? Since joining this forum (about 30 days ago), I've picked up:

Surefire G2
Streamlight Propolymer 3C LED (love the burn time)
Streamlight TT 2L (wife's car)
Princeton Tec Yukon HL headlamp (it's in the mail)
Nuwai 5W 3x123

Decent work for 4 weeks or less, lol. I guess at some point I'll have to decide on a light for my car, if not just another TT2L (probably want to get something different, for its own sake).

Wouldn't mind a giant-killer keychain light.

And, I still wouldn't mind some kind of around-the-house BIG GUN that's going to give me semi-decent burn time. Maybe a Princeton Tec Surge, but this new Nuwai is pretty bright, and the only substantive augmentation to my lighting "needs" now would be some sort of "tactical" nightstand light, like a TigerLight, maybe, though at that caliber of light, I'd like to see what all my options were in terms of run times...

Any thoughts?

bald1

Enlightened
Re: What do I \"need\" to get next?

You and I seem to have started around the same time as I lurked a few weeks before joining. I too have picked up a bunch of lights since joining:

Inova X5T
Inova X5T-HA
Inova X5T-UV
Inova X1
TurboFlare-360
Surefire G2
Surefire G2Z
Tigerlight FBOP/UCL
Longbow Micra 2310/UCL
plus outstanding orders for Elektrolumens XM2 and Blaster-3P

A nice mix of LED and incandescents. Favorites have become the Micra and X5T in LED and G2/G2Z and Tigerlight in incandescents. The Micra has become my EDC, the X5T-HA serving my needs for a great shortrange flood (with Ti models placed in each car for emergencies along with the TurboFlare-360s), the G2*s for non-offensive throw, and the Tigerlight for no-holds-bared reach /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Personally my little Photon that I've had for years is big enough for a keychain... don't want anything larger.

So now I've turned to tweaking what I have instead of looking for another torch. I already installed UCLs on both the Micra and TL, as well as fitting a Garrity Ozark clickie in the G2. In the planning queue are:

--IMS S017XA reflector and McGizmo McCapsule (Luxeon III TX1J w/BB700) for the Micra
--Jim Sexton WA01774 in a modified Carley BF1940 for my Tigerlight
--a G2Z bezel/pyrex lens assembly for the G2
--a tailswitch chamfer mod ala flashlightlen's post for the XM2 once received; and a suitable reflector once identified
--IMS S027XA reflector and either Nexell 1AA-D or Aventrade 4AA-D adapters for the Blaster-3P after delivery to permit AA NiMh power in this 3 D cell torch
-- Then there's always the notion of applying some of that glow powder / epoxy mix strategically to some of the torches for ease in finding on the night stand, etc. Haven't fully researched this one yet but /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So my "put" is to also consider tweaking what you have in addition to looking for new torches /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif That said the little Longbow Micra is an outstanding 1x123 pocketable you might want to consider!

--Bob

StuU

Enlightened

Before you guys end up in bankruptcy court, you will need to load up on the small AA lights. Meaning the Infinity Ultra and the ArcAA.

Oh, and don't forget the ArcAAA either.

bald1

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Before you guys end up in bankruptcy court, you will need to load up on the small AA lights. Meaning the Infinity Ultra and the ArcAA.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got a 1xAA in the Inova X1 and have 3 MiniMag 2xAAs already. The Micra can be converted from 1x123 to 2xAA with an ECO tube which I plan on getting too. Frankly most 2xAAs and the AAA stuff just don't float my boat /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

But your suggestions may serve Kitchener much better /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

--Bob

bald1

Enlightened

LOL! Absolutely. CR123s: 20 from batterystation, 40 from Botach, 10 from BugOutGear, the ones already supplied with the torches and a few bought locally means I'm good to go for awhile /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Yeah, a good friend and old timer here has already said I "blitzed" things but that the harvest "ain't bad"! LOL

--Bob

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
bald1 said:

Surefire G2
Surefire G2Z
Tigerlight FBOP/UCL
Longbow Micra 2310/UCL
plus outstanding orders for Elektrolumens XM2 and Blaster-3P

--Jim Sexton WA01774 in a modified Carley BF1940 for my Tigerlight
--a G2Z bezel/pyrex lens assembly for the G2

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob,

Been eyeing the Micra myself. Regarding the G2 and the G2Z, what modifications does the Z make on the G2 design? I've been considering the Blaster 3P, too, btw.

What does that Tigerlight mod do for the light?

Good tip on the $.50 batteries, I think I'll go and consume some of those...

bald1

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Been eyeing the Micra myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

I continue to be impressed with the quality of the fit, finish, and design. The output may be rated at only 25 Lumens but it sure throws like more especially with a UCL lens. Well worth your consideration!

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the G2 and the G2Z, what modifications does the Z make on the G2 design

[/ QUOTE ]
Aside from both being made with Nylotron, there are substantial differences. The G2Z adds a pyrex lens and anti-roll bezel, a much improved tailcap switch with lockout witness mark, a slimmer mid-body with grip rings affording better and more widely varied hand holds, and a lanyard with ring. It really is a major step up ergonomically from the G2 in my opinion.
Interesting G2Z thread

[ QUOTE ]
What does that Tigerlight mod do for the light?

[/ QUOTE ]
There are several great threads active right now which describe 3 levels of modification that will soon be available. They're all basically drop-ins with the lowest cost (and performance) one being the one I'm looking at. It is a brighter bulb and more refined reflector providing even greater output and throw compared to stock. This for about $20.
Tigerlight upgrade summary thread

--Bob

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
bald1 said:

Aside from both being made with Nylotron, there are substantial differences. The G2Z adds a pyrex lens and anti-roll bezel

Re: TigerLight:

There are several great threads active right now which describe 3 levels of modification that will soon be available. They're all basically drop-ins with the lowest cost (and performance) one being the one I'm looking at. It is a brighter bulb and more refined reflector providing even greater output and throw compared to stock. This for about $20.

[/ QUOTE ]

Regarding the G2/G2Z, outside of ergonomics, what sort of performance improvements do the pyrex lens and anti-roll bezel provide?

Yes, I need to read those TigerLight threads (one thread has something along the lines of 200+ posts as I recall. $20 sounds like a no-brainer. Any burn-time improvements to be had? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, the advertised run-time (1 hr?) is said to be over-stated?

By the way, I noticed in your "interests" description, you're an audiophile. Me, too! Though wife/house/toddler has put a serious cramp to my style... I'm bi-amping NHT 3.3s with VTL 225W tube monoblocks and an Aragon 200W SS dual monoblock amp. I need to do some major work to my rig ever since splitting it up into a mid-fi HT system for another room, but, that's a $1,000 story for another day, lol.

bald1

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the G2/G2Z, outside of ergonomics, what sort of performance improvements do the pyrex lens and anti-roll bezel provide?

[/ QUOTE ]

None really save the pyrex is more adept in handling the heat from a P61 lamp if you choose to run one. Personally I don't see the need given the TL's availability to me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Any burn-time improvements to be had? Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, the advertised run-time (1 hr?) is said to be over-stated?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure about the 60 minutes being overstated. I think I've also seen some say they've gotten 66 minutes. Regardless, I don't think it is a big issue at all. As for the mods, brighter will mean less run time. That said the mid-range option comes with a more powerful battery pack.

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I noticed in your "interests" description, you're an audiophile. Me, too!

[/ QUOTE ]

Your set up sounds sweet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Here's a link to mine (bi-amped, 18" sub augmented Maggie set up):
My audio system description

glow_2.JPG

--Bob

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened

Sweet rig. I recognize that Salamander rack. When I split my system in two (weeded out the HT stuff for the family room), I upgraded to Salamander's Synergy for the high end rig. That's brought me to a standstill as I need to drop a load of money into more Synergy stuff, so my poor (now) two stereo set-ups aren't exactly running with the baffles out, as half my equipment is in boxes until I have a rack to put them on. Ah to be married with children, disposable income, what has become of you?

Anyway, back on topic, you've got me rethinking the TL -- for my application I suppose I really don't need a big runtime.

When do you find yourself reaching for your Inova instead of the Micra?

bald1

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
I recognize that Salamander rack.

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually it's a DIY Flexy-rack I made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ah to be married with children, disposable income, what has become of you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Been there, done that! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif I was a single parent raising my boys who are now emanicpated. So now I can afford a few toys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When do you find yourself reaching for your Inova instead of the Micra?

[/ QUOTE ]
The X5T is an outstanding flood light for navigating indoors or illuminating an car's engine compartment at night without costing you your night vision. The 20 hour run time on a set of 2 CR123s is a huge plus as well. So it gets grabbed for such purposes. In dim ambient light the beam gets somwhat washed out though and that's where, as well as when you need brighter illumination that a spot with nice spill affords, the Micra comes into play. So it really provides the better capability for work carry. The Micra's form factor provides for a comfortable EDC so it is always available. No question the SF G2/G2Zs put out more light (65 vs 25 Lumens) but they really require a holster for carry. The Micra easily slips in a pant or shirt pocket. Like I said before, in LED torches the X5T and Micra are my favorites, with the G2/G2Z and TL my go to incandescent torches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

--Bob

Raven77

Newly Enlightened

Kitchener,
How does your new 5W luxeon compare to your G2?
Does the G2 blow it away in throw?
how about overall output?
Thanks for any input!

Kitchener

Newly Enlightened

Funny you should ask, as it's the one light that compares most with the G2. As a great incan, the G2 does definitely out-throw the 5W luxeon. But, in terms of useability, the better flood characteristics of the 5W luxeon, which is nearly as bright, have me reaching for it over the G2 when I'm going out to walk the dog, or if I want to illuminate my back yard (as in, it's too damned late to walk the dog, get out back and do your thing, dog).

I'm thinking I'm going to move the G2 to my tool chest, and leave the 5W luxeon in the kitchen drawer for a primary household light.