Flashlight w/ airport security

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone have expirience in taking a smaller pocket flashlight through airport security? I am mostly worried about my Arc4, but any others can apply(ArcAAA). This summer I will be flying some and need to know what to expect; wether or not to take it with ME /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif or put it in luggage /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif. Thanks
Cameron

14C

Enlightened
I have flown recently with Mag AA with nothing except a smile from the TSA. I have also taken a ARC-AAA through with no questions asked. I can't tell you anything else except:

I expect problems and try to avoid them. Most of the items that might be "questionable" (larger lights, knives) were in my checked baggage and I invited them to open by accepting the conditions...no problems.

That said what I travel with..even in my checked baggage, could not, by intelligent people, I hope, be considered of intsruments of aggressive intent.

Caveat:

This appies to only the airports I have been through recently:

Las Vegas, Balitmore, Hartford, Denver, Omaha, Salt Lake, Chicago and a few others.

Most airport authorities employ their own security personnel and they screen you first or at the same time and places can be different in their interpretation of the regulations.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just retruned from Florence Italy. They have a notice at the ticket counter of all the banned carryons. In the icons there are the usual, scissors, knives, firearms, pepperspray, and the normal others. Additional was a flashlight with two batteries. Reading the attached notice was a ban on "scuba torches with batteries installed". My guess was that in the past either someone with harmful intent or some nitwit blinded someone on board with a PT Surge or some similar device. Upon arrival at the counter I asked the ticket person about my legend AA with an opalec led. I got the confused look from them indicating yes, you can take it no problem. Screening was a similar breeze as well.

Back home in the states, It is another thing. It is up to the discretion of the TSA screener as to if the item is banned. There is a list but they have the freedom to decide on their own but lack the proper training in the use of such thinking. There is no uniform application of such discretion. An Arc shouldn't be of a concers despite the brightness unless you get a total nitwit or someone intent on your "surrendering" the item rather than checking it. Mag AA bodie style torches seem to clear without any comment. my "Walther Police" Surefire 6 clone with a luxeon bore some inspection concern as it was too technical for the screener to turn on (PHD button!) but once done, it passed. Anything over 8 inches and capable of carrying two 123's or larger may or may not be banned as it is a weapon capable bludgeoning device.

You can check them in your luggage but be wary. There have been over a thousand reported firings of TSA screeners caught knicking items from bags on video tape. If it turns up missing (or anyghing else), the eventual reply from TSA is "can you prove it was actually in the bag?" or they blame the airline. If your bags are damaged or missing things. File a complaint with TSA if there is a tag inside the bag. File a complaint with the airline also, they are keeping tabs on the abuses of our baggage by these so called trained persons.

Bottom line. I don't travel with my ARC LS lights. My AAA seems to be fine and my mini mag or legend is fine. High brightness lights may be a concern but I haven't had any trouble with a Legend LX, the only one I have flown with.

Aten_Imago

Banned
Hi
Excellent post-
1) I'm going to send some of it to the head of TSA ( he gets mail from me regularly) to chew on, as he's probably unaware of flashlights as a collectible /EDC item for so many people.
2) From my experiences as a photog, I learned that one of the criteria baggage screeners use is the "out-of-placeness" of an object. If it looks out of place- it will likely cause some suspicion. So, keychain lights that are actually on keychains, small "common" flashlight profiles etc- no problem. However a small collection of lights that X-ray like silencers from an MP5 or HK Handgun, housed in a Pelican case- big problem!
3) I always - repeat ALWAYS shoot the entire contents of my carry-on and checked luggage with my digital camera and when I travel, a dedicated CF card holds those images for proud display anywhere I am on my trip. In addition, I print 1 hard copy for printed proof. I always shoot my passport pages 1&2, credit cards, even traveler's checks and cash! all images are uploaded to a personal secure site- for access even if I loose the camera and CF card. Needless to say, I am excentric but... I get paid to be that way so others can learn. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
"a ban on "scuba torches with batteries installed"."

Probably due to an explosion hazard from decompression of the cabin causing the light to burst, leaking batteries inside the tight waterproofed housing, etc...

Mr. Bombastic

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
JOshooter said:
Any problems with a SF E2e?

[/ QUOTE ]

On my two occasions of plane travel (Heathrow and Toronto) my E2e went through fine. The screener in Heathrow did pick it up for a closer look, but less than a second later put it down again.

louie

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try a search on this thread, it comes up regularly. I've flown several times since 9/11 with Surefire E2e and E2e/KL1 in carryon and had no problems (Seattle, L.A. N.Y.) Haven't tried Arc-LS yet, but one poster here suggested turning it on and putting it in the bin with your keys and change during screening.