Why is this 1 (not AA) 123 light $60?

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
6119008l.jpg

ULTRABEAM ALUMINUM WEATHERPROOF FLASHLIGHT

From Radio Shack's Canadian site:
Coming Soon: Heavy-duty aluminum and rubber casing means this flashlight will be working for a very long time. It's weatherproof, so it easily handles the wildest Canadian weather. Reliable push-button switch and anti-roll, so it stays where you set it. Operates on 1 AA battery, sold separately. 611-9008

Please check back for updates on this product's availability.

Could it be a re-branded Dorcy or Nuwai Luxeon?

14C

Enlightened
Re: Why is this 1 AA light $60?

Because they think they CAN?

More will come..the market is ripped open.

NeverDark

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I think it's mistake for price. It looks 3AA battery.

paulr

Flashaholic

It looks more like 2x123 to me.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu

On May 16, I sent this email to Radio Shack Canada:

"There is very little information regarding this new flashlight. I'm curious to know why a 1 AA flashlight would retail for $59.99. Is there something unique about it? I'm wondering if it uses a Lumileds Luxeon LED emitter. Any further information would be appreciated. Thanks in advance."

Reply (May 25): "... yes this is a Luxeon Bulb and should be in stores late July."

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

PhotonBoy:
Thanks so much for the update. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
If they have dirven it at decently high levels, it could be a REAL winner. Please let us know if it becomes available.

Nikon:
The resembelence IS remarkable. RS may have taken the #10 shell, and had it redesigned for 1AA. I hope so!

Mark2

Enlightened

At least the body matches exactly the body of one of the new Nuwai 1W LS lights I have for sale. Maybe they actually changed it to use one AA and also designed new electronics, but I doubt it. Running a 1W Luxeon with a boost circuit from a single AA?

1W123.jpg

Mark2

Enlightened

PhotonBoy: Please see the thread linked to in nikon's message for detailed information about these lights. I'll gladly answer further questions, take comparison pictures with other lights etc, just let me know.

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mark2 said:
At least the body matches exactly the body of one of the new Nuwai 1W LS lights I have for sale. Maybe they actually changed it to use one AA and also designed new electronics, but I doubt it. Running a 1W Luxeon with a boost circuit from a single AA?

1W123.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

TnC is doing just that. See this thread.
His first run will be set for 200ma, but he MAY do a later run set at 350ma.

Mark2

Enlightened

Stainless: I didn't question whether it was possible to do it, but whether it would be worth it for this light. The whole point is the price of the cells and availability, otherwise the 123s are superior in every respect. This light runs an estimated 1.5 hours on high and probably more than 10 hours on low with just one cell. This light is not going to burn through batteries like an M6 with HOLA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I looked at the inside part of the switch and the tailcap and found that there is not enough room (lenght) for an AA, unless they changed the switch mechanism, but it doesn't look as if they did from the ouside. Maybe Radio Shack put the wrong picture up?

Stainless

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Mark2 said:
Stainless: I didn't question whether it was possible to do it, but whether it would be worth it for this light....

...I looked at the inside part of the switch and the tailcap and found that there is not enough room (lenght) for an AA, unless they changed the switch mechanism, but it doesn't looks as if they did from the ouside. Maybe Radio Shack put the wrong picture up?

[/ QUOTE ]

The wrong photo? On a corporate website?
Distinct possiblity. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

This thread reminds me of when the Dorcy Luxeon first came out... much speculation... little actually known until Craig of
The LED Museum actually got his hands on one. Guess we'll have to wait and see. Personally, I hope A LOT of new 1AA Luxeon lights become available. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Latest posts