Mercedes-Benz Question

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
A few weekends ago, I went to prom, not mine, just a friend of mine who wanted me to go with her. Anyways, we were forutnate enough to be driven in a really nice Mercedes-Benz to dinner, then to the dance itself at the hotel. As we were being driven, I couldnt help but notice these two indicators on the dash. Whenever you came to a complete stop, these two indicators would light up. They looked like a triangle that were colored red and white I think. And as soon as you began moving again, they would turn off. They were actually located right where the windsheild meets the dash, and their was one in the center of the dash, and on the left side of the driver, on the dash as well. I asked the driver about it, and he didnt even know what it was. I looked on Mercedes website but couldnt seem to find anything helpful for the answer. Anyone lucky enough to have a Benz and know the answer? Or not have a Benz and still have the answer? Thanks.
P.S. -- CRAP!, It was a nice Car! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif
Cameron

naromtap

Enlightened
Yea I can confirm that it would have been without doubt the proximity alarms - there would have been one in the rear on the ceiling above the back window aswell that the driver would have been able to see in his rear view mirror when he selected 'reverse' or 'neutral' - they are a great parking aid but a nuisance in traffic as bikes & pedestrians set them off, you can disable them but they reset when you next start the engine. Pro's outway the Con's tho! I'm astounded the driver 'paid/hired' to transport you didn't know his tool as theses have been a feature on luxury cars for a while - makes me wonder had you had the misfortune of a puncture, would he have known where the jack was! Another feature that has been in the pipeline for a good while now which will debut in the S-class is Autonomous Cruise Control - similar set-up as far as the sensors go but it senses the distance between you & the car in front & adjusts your speed accordingly!

Saaby

Flashaholic
How about the V12 engine that can drop to 6 when the other 6 are not needed.

Saabs are cool, love em' to death, but since I'll own a Saab some day a S600 is my dream car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Saaby

Flashaholic
saablogobig.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

naromtap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
How about the V12 engine that can drop to 6 when the other 6 are not needed.

[/ QUOTE ]

The S-Class has had this feature for about 6 years now, an automatic cylinder cut off system that reduces fuel consumption by 15 to 20%!

M

MeridianTactical

BMW!!!! Nuff said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

naromtap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Meridian Tactical said:
BMW!!!! Nuff said! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Which one? I've got a 730Li SE (would much rather a 745 & upwards but it would appear the firms budget can't stretch to that) to demo on Wed, if it's any good it could well be goodbye to the S-Class Mercs!

Kristofg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
naromtap said:
they are a great parking aid but a nuisance in traffic as bikes & pedestrians set them off

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd think that would be a great help to notice the bikes and pedestrians in order not to run them over? If you don't want to hit another car whilst driving/parking, I'd imagine that you'd want to make sure you wouldn't hit a pedestrian or bike either?

M

MeridianTactical

naromtap, I have a 04' 330Ci, but I truly want an M5.

I like the look of the 740i better vs the 745i. I was thinking of getting a used 740 vs the 330, but just went new...

I used to want a MB. but over the years have been swayed to the BMW.

naromtap

Enlightened
Kristofg, bare in mind that the proximity alarms are activated every time you slow to less than 10mph so all pedestrians & bikes filtering thru the traffic across the front of you or even along side will set them off. With quick moving objects like bikes they are normally well gone by the time you get the audible signal. It may just be that I live in a big congested city that its even an issue, like I say I'd rather have them than not, especially with todays colour coded bumpers. I think you may have been joking anyway, but just in case I thought I would respond.

ho71ko

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
naromtap said:
Kristofg, bare in mind that the proximity alarms are activated every time you slow to less than 10mph so all pedestrians & bikes filtering thru the traffic across the front of you or even along side will set them off.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a switch in the center of the dashboard to disable the alarm...
But you are right, it is nervewrecking when every pedestrian close to your car at a traffic light lets your car go "peep" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Holger

naromtap

Enlightened
Yeah know the switch well - the same one that resets itself every time you stop the engine!

I get that 7-Series BMW demo tomorrow to play with for 24hrs so will post my findings in comparism to the S-Class.

Kristofg

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
naromtap said:
I think you may have been joking anyway, but just in case I thought I would respond.

[/ QUOTE ]

No , I was serious, I was wondering what the difference was when trying to park and have an alarm for hitting a car and not one for hitting a pedestrian/bike.
I often find it difficult to spot pedestrians on those blind corners when making a turn, so I quite like the idea of having something go beep when there is someone standing close to the car if i haven't noticed them.

Might have been a good idea to have it activated for a certain period of time after having turned on your turning signal (What do you call the yellow lights to show direction? We call them pinkers which would translate to blinkers as they blink on and off).

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saaby said: ...V12 engine that can drop to 6

You guys that are "car guys" have got to read this E320 CDI review.

0-60 in 6.8 secs with an EPA hwy rating of 37 mpg!

Faster than the gas version, quieter on the hwy than the gas version and hugely better mileage! A high tech wonder! And...best of all (IMHO)...it can run on completely U.S. produced, renewable fuels! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif