How green is "TVOK"?

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: How green is \"TVOK\"?

I have just one of the TVOKs in use.

It has no greenish cast whatsoever, but it's tint leans ever so slightly to a very slight yellow.
-Very "white" -especially compared to most of the older 1 watt Luxeons. I would not trade it for any other Luxeons ...at this point, anyway.

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have seen multiple Lux III units of every color bin in the new system. I would be unable to tell any of them apart if shown one at a time. Even if I saw two different bins next to each other, I kinda doubt I would be able to tell them apart. The variations from bin to bin don't seem to be substantially greater than the variations within a given bin.

The ONLY way you'd have even a CHANCE of telling them apart is if you were shining them both against a flat, white wall or otherwise regularly-surfaced target. Unless your intended usage is inspecting flat, white walls, the color bin will be inconsequential for Lux IIIs.

YMMV.

bhds

Enlightened

The only lux III that I have are TWAKS installed in Arcs. I remember that one of them used to be a arc lshp that had a very slight "lime" tint that was only noticeable when shined on a white wall and viewed up close. I thought it was the most beautiful white in the world. I then installed a TWAK in another arc and then it all of a sudden didnt seem to be all that "white" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The TWAK has a very slight violet tint that I find very pleasing. If the TVOK is as good or better than the lux I in the lshp then I could probably live with it. I mainly want to make sure its not as green as one of my ls low domes /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif I guess theres only one way to find out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif

Thanks for the input guys.

bhds

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have two TVOJ IIIs (a DB917 and a BB700) and a VVOU 5w(DB750), and I cannot detect a hint of green in any of them. I do have slight violet and yellow "flares" outside of my hotspot, but they are only apparent when shining against a white wall.

Aloha

Brian

daloosh

Flashaholic*,

Thanks guys for the info. I'm asking Chop to put a TV0J into my greenie KL1, and was wondering about the bin and tint.

daloosh

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

When something is found that is a sure thing, I want to save my pennies and dimes and have Chop or another modder make my KL3 white. It is ghastly Pink now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast

Daloosh and PBJS, Chop will do them very well. He has modded two KL3s for me and they are superb, bright, white and clean beamspots.

I just tell him what I want and ask if he wants to do it. Then I leave the selection of a Luxeon up to him. He has better eyes than I do.

Also, he knows all that Vf stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I recently bought a PR-T TWAK/DB 1000ma, I don't know who built it, and it had a blue tint, a blue corona and a couple of blue flares. I don't know if the TWAK was to blame or something in the build itself.

So, I just ask the modder to figure it out and go with his decisions in light of what I want. I pick modders that I have confidence in their judgement and skill and that don't tell me to settle for less.

Chop's KL3 with a Pelican Reflector instead of the optic is a great option for the compatible Surefires.

He'll be able to significantly improve the KL1, too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

oldgrandpajack

Enlightened

I have one PR and three PR-T's with the TV0K Luxeon III. All are McGizmo built. They all have the DB911. They are all very bright and white. These should be mass produced, along with the PR-T-BB611-TX1K. I don't think there is anything in production, that comes close to there performance, for there size and weight.
oldgrandpajack

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

So far, I have not noticed any "color" in the T?0K Lux III leds. They are that close to white. The T?1K and T?AK have the slightest hint of tint.

If used side by side, one may notice that one appears to be warmer than the other, but used alone at the rated current, all of the '0' tints appear very white.

Daniel

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Second Gadget_Lover,

I have seen quite some TVOx, TWOx, TXOx lately and you won´t be unhappy with any of those IMO, also the TYOx are supposed to be very nice from what others have told me.

The TYAx and TWAx can go into bluish/pinkish territory while TX1x and TV1x could trend toward green/Yellow - but all of those I saw so far would only be called as having a "visible tint" when compared against a benchmark white white like i.e. a "zzOz" one in direct comparison against a white wall.

My personnel base line is that no matter what LED is in there as long its a LuxIII (or a 1W with the new binning - not sure on that) its actually quite nice - building one myself I would try to get a TWOx/TXOx/TVOx/TYOx for it.

As for the question on TVOxs ? - I never saw one green TVOJ and I saw quite some number of them lately - I can highly recommend them while they do tend toward being a little warmer which quite some people seem to actually prefer.

Klaus

bhds

Enlightened

Kind of a moot point now. I waited too long and now the shoppe is all out /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif