UK 4AA "rechargable"

Yukon_Jack

Enlightened
UK 4AA \"rechargable\"

I notice that UK now has a 4AA recharagable. Cost about 82 bucks, puts out 70 lumen with a 4 watt bulb. It appears that the standard 2.1 watt incad bulb and the 1 watt LED bulbs also fit this new light. Actually, the light looks just the same as their normal light but fits in a charger. Any info on this light? Tks.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
Re: UK 4AA \"rechargable\"

I noticed this light too. Seems a bit pricey, but I see that the recharging time is about the same as the runtime, so you wouldn't be without light if you had a spare on the charger. I think it's designed for LEOs or Search and Rescue types who need a rugged, reliable, easy to use lighting system. Bulbs are a bit pricey too, I note, at over $8 ea.

I find it odd that they can run a 4W incandescent in the light, but are vastly underpowering their 1W Luxeon version. It's too bad they don't offer a brighter Luxeon light in the same housing, albeit with less runtime than the current unit.

paulr

Flashaholic

I think with a higher powered LED they'd have a heat dissipation problem. A plastic light doesn't conduct heat like a metal one. The incandescent doesn't heat up as much because the excess power comes out the front as infrared. With an LED, the flashlight body has to dissipate the heat itself.

paulr

Flashaholic

I wonder if you can use the 4W lamp in a 2L.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got one of these for review... The 4AA rechargable puts out 5.42V on my meter.

The lamp assemblies are completely interchangable between all of the other lights that take this size lamp assembly, so the 4W, 2W and 1W LED all work in the 4AA, 4AA rechargable, and the 2L. Just tried all the combinations in all of the lights and they all do work. The 4 Watt bulb in the 2L is sweeeeet!

The beam is pretty nice as-is, but you can throw some WriteRight on the lens for a really smooth spot.

Working on the review as we speak. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif