Show me your Mag 3D luxeon mods.......

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im having the hardest time deciding whether to pullout of the Blaster 3P pre-order or not as I prefer reflectors and have seen some nice Mag 3D LuxIII lights lately. anyone care to share pics of theirs with beamshots/comparisons if possible? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

anyone have theirs resistored? i wouldn't mind losing just a little output if it would help the runtime a good bit.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Show me your Mag 3D luxeons mods.......

You can select runtime / brightness to a certain degree in choosing the right Vf Lux and/or adding some resistance, make up your mind what brightness you need or what runtime you are looking for and go from there - I think going with a LuxIII and anywhere from 700ma to 1000ma as the mid-level driving range for it will be quite nice and bright and still have very good runtime, escpecially using a D sized body.

Just my 2 Eurocents and YMMV

Klaus

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
You can select runtime / brightness to a certain degree in choosing the right Vf Lux and/or adding some resistance, make up your mind what brightness you need or what runtime you are looking for and go from there - I think going with a LuxIII and anywhere from 700ma to 1000ma as the mid-level driving range for it will be quite nice and bright and still have very good runtime, escpecially using a D sized body.

Just my 2 Eurocents and YMMV

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

thnx Klaus but i wouldn't be doing the mod myself.(no soldering skills, and all i got is a cheapie soldering stick) i would be paying to have it done most likely /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still the same decision then - one of the Mag modders like Darkzero has plenty of different Vf-ed LEDs (how do I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) and if you tell him you are in for either runtime / brightness / mix of both he can select things accordingly to your best liking.

Later

Klaus

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:
Still the same decision then - one of the Mag modders like Darkzero has plenty of different Vf-ed LEDs (how do I know /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif) and if you tell him you are in for either runtime / brightness / mix of both he can select things accordingly to your best liking.

Later

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, cool! Darkzero was actually the one whom i would get to do the mod if i follow through. i didn't think he would be able accomodate my "specifics" such as hand picking an emitter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Icarus

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did a few mods based on a Mag2D using a LuxIII and a DB1000 converter running on 6AA NiMh 2300mAh or 3xCR123. They are very bright, have a good runtime and a very good throw! You can make these lights even more attractive using an UCL glass lens and an OP reflector from darkzero. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened
DarkZero did one for me...

Look for my post in the Custom F/S forum. DarkZero did mine and he posted pictures. I turn it on everyday just for fun!

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: DarkZero did one for me...

[ QUOTE ]
sygyzy said:
Look for my post in the Custom F/S forum. DarkZero did mine and he posted pictures. I turn it on everyday just for fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i've seen yours /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif yours is what got me thinking..........

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone? anyone?
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i'll settle for written descriptions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif or even links to previous posts.(i can't seem to find any when i search)

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
4x4Dragon said:
[ QUOTE ]
Klaus said:

Later

Klaus

[/ QUOTE ]

oh, cool! Darkzero was actually the one whom i would get to do the mod if i follow through. i didn't think he would be able accomodate my "specifics" such as hand picking an emitter /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I hope I don´t get the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twakfl.gif from Darky for this but I think this shouldn´t be too much of a headache for him - at least asking him won´t hurt /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Klaus

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened

4x4Dragon - Have you thought about putting 3C's in a 2D body?

I have two using this config. They have the tightest and farthest throwing spots of ANY LED flashlight I have seen. If you're looking for a spot, there's no other way to go.

ubermensch

Enlightened

As promised here are some very amateurish beamshots.
All shots from ~6 feet onto a white ceiling. Camera is using auto exposure.
L3D on left, L4 on right.
beamshot5.jpg

L3D vs. MM+R2H w/ sputtered reflector on lithiums. For size reference, that shape in the bottom left is a light fixture about 14 inches squared.
beamshot4.jpg

L3D vs. Wolf-Eyes 6T Explorer (Pila GL2R)
beamshot3.jpg

Shot from ~18 inches, showing beam quality.
beamshot1.jpg

And just for fun, L4 vs L3D both at ~8 feet, so you can get a feel for the throw of the L3D. (No comments about the trashed-out room please.)
beamshot7.jpg

beamshot6.jpg

I am engaged in an informal runtime test right now. I am at 45 min using crappy 2200mAh NiMH Ds and it is still quite bright, maybe at 50-70% of peak output. The body doesn't get hot either, merely warm. Edit: it went to about an hour and a half before the output seemed quite weak, but I did not let it run all the way down--I s'pose that would take hours.
Fully charged it is as bright (using ceiling bounce test) as the L4, with sidespill a little brighter, which you cannot tell from the comparisons.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
flashlightlens.com said:
4x4Dragon - Have you thought about putting 3C's in a 2D body?

I have two using this config. They have the tightest and farthest throwing spots of ANY LED flashlight I have seen. If you're looking for a spot, there's no other way to go.

[/ QUOTE ]

i like a good spot, but i also like some clean spill too, that's why im shying away from the 30mm optic based Blaster 3P and leaning more toward a reflector based light.

im not sure about c's as i want some good runtime.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
flashlightDR said:
Wayne's pre-ordering "sale" is about $50-- for a whole, solid flashlight. You can put a: Diamond LED bulb replacement adapters for Maglite 3 Watt for $37.

[/ QUOTE ]

i forgot about that, but doesn't it have resistance or something like that? how many cells(Maglite 3d, 4d ??)

im afraid it wouldn't reach it's full potential compared to a 3watt Luxeon Mag 3D mod.

flashlightlens

Newly Enlightened

I've also got a Diamond LuxIII drop-in (forgot about that one - that makes 3 LuxIII in 2D-to-3C Mags I own). As I remember, it's a real close match to the homemade mods I've done. The only drawback is that you won't have any real choice for the bin of the LED. My Diamond is a little on the green side vs. my others. These work in 3-cell lights.

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast

who did yours for you? sputtered or smooth reflector? glow powder? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thnx for the pix!

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

You might be able to get the new 27.5mm reflector for the blaster. I've asked Wayne to test them out and compare, because I've heard some good things ...

ubermensch

Enlightened

It is homemade. I have sputtered and smooth and an acrylite lens. No glow powder (or paint), as of yet. . .

Rothrandir

Flashaholic

come on man, do it yourself!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

my first mod ever was a 1w 3d mag, and back then they were way harder than they are now.

if you wanted a good brightness/runtime ratio, a lux3 with 3d's and a downboyxxx would make a great combination (replace xxx with desired current level)