Need advice on what cookware to purchase

Raven

Enlightened
I'd like to buy a new skillet. Is it possible to buy a quality pan that doesn't have a no stick surface, or does that leave cast iron, as my only other option?

I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to serious cooking, so any advice or opinions will be appreciated.

Eric_M

Enlightened
Anything by All-Clad is good. Calphalon makes some really nice copper cookware with a stainless interior.

It may seem pricey but there's nothing to wear out like non stick coatings.

Raven

Enlightened
Something like this?

I want to avoid no stick surfaces, because they tend to flake after moderate use. That's my experience anyway.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im adicted to cast iron i have troble seasing it.but ,man they cook so good

Eric_M

Enlightened
Exactly!

I've got the 8" model and love it. Ebay is the place to get some great deals. Just watch the shipping costs on some auctions.

The Calphalon Copper is the best deal for the $$$$.

Enjoy,

Eric

Spudman

Enlightened
We got some cuisinart commercial stainless cookware as wedding gifts. It has a copper sandwich in the bottom of the pan to conduct heat better. It's seen almost fourteen years of daily use and still looks great. I think any good stainless pan with a copper or aluminum bottom would wear well and look good.

Nitro

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cast Iron will last forever if you keep it seasoned. Actually it's not that hard to season. Just use plenty of oil or cooking spray before and after every use.

Also, don't use soap and water to clean it. Just heat it up, scrape it smooth with a metal spatula (if needed), spray it with cooking oil and wipe it with a paper towel.

They are easy to maintain, and IMHO food tastes much better when cooked in Iron. Specially when you brown meat.

lambo

Newly Enlightened
I'd say this is probably what you're looking for. The carbon steel with cast-iron handles is the best (riveted versus welded handles, thicker steel), but the blue steel and pressed-iron-handle pans are no slouches by any means, and they do come in a greater variety of shapes. (The paella pans make great multi-purpose pans, for example.)

It's imported from France, and is what you'll actually find in the best professional kitchens. It's NOT what you'll see on the set of cooking shows because the manufacturer has paid for product placement, or the host has created his own line of overpriced stuff to gouge the greenhorns.

French Carbon steel and blue steel lasts forever. You season it just like cast iron but it's a lot easier to keep seasoned (because of cast iron's rough, sand-cast or -blasted surface). It's also magnitudes cheaper than the overpriced Calphalon, All-Clad, Emerilware, etc., stuff. (No offense to Eric Maier!)

I've also done you the favor of pointing you to the website with the best prices and cheapest shipping. I've ordered from them, and the stuff is amazing. It does tend to get pretty black and used-looking, however, so while it does have very classic-looking lines, it's not just for hanging on a pot-rack for show. It's for serious, hardcore, daily use.

By the way, if you're ever looking for the absolute best, longest-lasting non-stick stuff, let me know. Unlike the carbon steel, however, it's pretty pricey.

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I'll second the Blue steel/carbon steel pans - everyone should have one or 2 - I have a nice 14" one, and a few smaller - I also have a 10" cast iron - each has it's advantages

raggie33

*the raggedier*
all the good chefs i see on tv have at least some cast iron.i am adicted to my skilet i cook every thing in it it cooks so much better.sure it is heavy as hect but it is well worth it

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
We are big fans of All Clad's Copr Core:
Copr Core

I like it better than pans with copper on the outside because those are a b*tch to keep nice looking.

The Copr core has copper in the middle, so it heats up fast, surrounded by aluminum, which distributes heat well. Then the actual cooking surface is steel, which I love and cleans up well. I stay away from nonsticks, because I don't want to be eating the teflon, and like I said, all copper is too much trouble to polish. These pans have copper accents, that you can polish for a nice look.

As with all professional cookware (and we won't even get into cast iron), the stuff is heavier than I'd like, what with some tendonitis and carpal tunnel bothering me.

daloosh

LitFuse

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was never very impressed with non-stick cookware either until I broke down and got a decent set. After some research I ended up buying an Anolon set from Amazon. Amazon is always running some type of deal or promotion, and I ended up paying $200 for the 14 pieces after a discount and promotional credit toward future purchases. I have been completely satisfied with this set, and I actually enjoy using them. Although these are called the "professional" set, they are actually middle of the road for non stick cookware. They do have Dupont Autograph 2 non stick with a lifetime warranty though. These are heavy pots and pans that heat very evenly, and hold their heat.

I was initially a bit concerned with the fact that you're not supposed to put them in the dishwasher, but they're so easy to clean it's not even an issue anymore. You can fry an egg with no oil or butter, and clean up consists of a swipe with a paper towel or sponge. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peter

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Old thread, but-
Just have to ditto Litfuse about Analon, though I have the Analon Advanced line rather than the Professional series. Everything about them is really well designed, with the silicone lined handles on the pots and lids being particularly nice. Non-stick inside and out, and the coating has been flawless, with cleanup being essentially just a rinse and wipe. I'm impressed every time I use them.
I take care not to overheat them, and they've held up good-as-new so far, and I don't think I've tasted any Teflon yet- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif If there's a chance you might forget at some point and burn the pot, then cast iron would definitely be a better option, but otherwise this is the hot ticket. You'll just have to get your iron RDA from other sources. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

newo

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for All-Clad. My wife, who used Caphalon for years, now swears by All-Clad.

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
As far as "affordable" (and with a "Lifetime Warranty"), I have to vote for the "Cook's Essentials" brand that QVC sells.

Many years ago, we "finally" switched from "All Clad" aluminum (you know what they said about Alzheimer's disease as well as the "nasty"" taste it added to our foods - though we really didn't know it till we tried different cookware!).

Trying to be an "informed consumer" and keeping the wallet in mind, we tried this line from QVC. Dupont non-stick with scratch guard (can use metal utensils in it if you wish) seems to be a remarkable coating!

DO NOT USE any "cooking sprays" (i.e. Pam...) in it though!! It will cook on and "shellac", if you do. Not a good thing!

I'm very pleased with ours!!! Soooooo easy to clean too!!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i cant afford any but cast iron .but i prmise ya if ya get a cast iron pan thats seasened well its very non stick and cooks very very good thats all my dad uses nothing sticks to it and ya can get a new pan for 5 bucks i love the weight

CajunBabe

Newly Enlightened
Raggie,
I also love to cook with cast iron pots but correctly seasoning them makes a huge difference. Do a Google search for 'cast iron season pot' and you will get some great pointers on exactly how to do it. I usually go thru the process 2 or 3 times before I actually use it for the first time. Take your time and I'm sure you will be successful.

Good Luck,
CajunBabe

raggie33

*the raggedier*
hiya cajun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif yeah thats my only probelm with cast iron i nevr get em seasoned corect ive tryied to read all and do all. i mean my dads skilet is smooth as glass .eggs dont stick to it i love his skilets but mine are good but no where as good.cast iron is so good for blankening a steak and searing in the juices