Best ways to change levels on multi-level light !!

How many lights? You may choose 2 answers.

• Twist dial

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Multiple clicking

• Multi position switch

• Simple clicking

• Rocker switch

• Slider

• Tailcap twist

• Total voters

Psychomodo

Enlightened
Which is, or would be, your preferred way of changing the illumination level on an EDC flashlight? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

1. Multi position switch (as on the forthcoming VIP)

2. Multiple clicking (as on the Arc4)

3. Twist dial (as on the Surefire U2)

4. A simple method of clicking that fades the light up until the desired level is reached, or, with a double click, fades the light down (I don't think this way is available - yet!)

5. Rocker switch

6. Slider

7. Tailcap twist

Choose one only

Poll will run for a week.

This may help flashlight makers in their decisions for future lights /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(or it may not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif)

Thanks for taking part /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

(just a bit of fun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
The Photon Freedom Micro has a "simple clicking" style of brightness adjustment. While off, clicking and holding the button down ramps up the intensity quite smoothly, and while on, clicking and holding ramps down the intensity.

My page about the Freedom Micro is right here if anybody is interested.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
A well-implemented twist dial seems the most intuitive - so long as it doesn't wear out prematurely.

With a microprocessor-controlled light, this is easily done with an encoder rather than a wear- and noise-prone potentiometer.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Pots generally aren't water-resistant (water can enter along the sides of the shaft), but encoder wheel assemblies can be made more water tight.
O yeah, and pots do wear out with prolonged use. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

Roy

Farewell our Curmudgeon Administrator
I think the importance being placed on a light being "waterproof" is being way overplayed. "Water resistant" yes. I can see needing a light in a driving rain, but I have a hard time justifing the need for a light to be more that water resistant. If I drop my light into water deeper than I can reach with my hand, then it's a light for the fishes cause I'm not diving in to retreve it! If you need a light for diving, then get a diving rated light.

I notice that no one seems to be concerned that their lights are not rated for use in explosive atmoshperes. Those are speciality lights, just like diving lights. If I need a light for use over open water, I'll use my Eternallight Marine which is rated to FLOAT when the proper batteries are used.

Sorry for getting off the subject off the thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best ways to change levels on multi-level ligh

I would want discrete levels. That way I will know what levels work best in what situations. With a slider, with an infinite number of levels, I'd be spending all my time adjusting.

Also, I'd like the levels to be about 3 dB apart. That is, I'd like each step to approximately double the light intensity. Any lesser amount per step is not necessary IMO.

Paul

gadget_lover

Flashaholic

I like sliders bacause they are easy to use one handed. It's also easy to see what position it's in before you turn it on. In reality, one would probably use different levels only on occasion. The tendency is to push to full on or minimum without much use between.

Daniel

Glenn

Enlightened

gadget_lover SAID:

"The tendency is to push to full on or minimum without much use between."

I use my ARC 4+(second) around the house at level 8 about 90% of the time.
That is a what I would consider a "mid level" and just right for most household close range tasks.
That is the BIG advantage of picking YOUR OWN LEVEL.

Glenn

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast

switch at the tail.

rotating head to choose brightness-does not need to be a pot. simple resistors or electronic control are fine.

Bob

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think we should be careful to make a distinction between the perfered UI and the design/implementation. For example, I want a dial, but I don't want a POT and I do want waterproof.

However, I think you could find ways to do this. For example, perhaps you have a small magnet in the dial and a series of mag switches potted into the case.

I could also imagine ways to do this with a SF U2 style dial where you have O rings which potentially could get you as good of waterproofing as the tailcaps.

BTW, in the U2 style setup, I would prefer the dial near the tail for one-handed operation.

-john

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm hoping that the dial on the U2 is easy enough to move with the little finger or the ring finger. That would allow for effective one-handed operation.

Paul

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,

For me, simplicity reigns- bezel twist to low, and another quarter turn, high. Single-handed and Ambidexterous too!

Larry

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Most flashlights need only be water resistant to prevent driving rain or brief shallow immersion from damaging the innards. It takes hurricane-force winds or a few fathoms of pressure to get past a competent waterproofing job.

Any sort of rotary shaft can be made decently water resistant with clever application of an O-ring and/or skirt.

I'm leery of magnetic switches just because I have enough magnetic media scattered about to make loose magnets a hazard.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Hm. Polls look to be cookie-based rather than DB-based. Good thing I despise ballot-box stuffing.

Illuminated

Enlightened

I think Georges80's single-button control on the uFlex is rather well thought out.

I won't describe its operation here, but I will say that I like it just fine for task or area lighting uses.

It's probably not a good setup for tactical light uses, but then this is not a requirement for me.

John

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

I think just a twisty sort of switch that turns on at a low setting, and then ramps up to full as you tighten it.

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast

Favourite choice: Twist head. Second: Tailcap twisty.

Push buttons and me have never got along, other than for simple on/off. Just personal preference I guess.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

How about a tailcap twisty for brightness - Clicky tailcap switch and take the head end off to change batteries ???
just have the Luxeon/globe in the head and everything else down the tail.
just my 2 cents worth

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's not such a bad bit of lateral thinking there. I think I like it. So you mean twisting changes the brightness, and clicking can provide momentary and continuous on? I do like that.