KILLER minimag mod

turbodog

Flashaholic
--- found while trying to make something from nothing ---

Take a minimag, put in a sandwich (mine is a lux 3 bb 650). Insert this into the back of a regular mag c/d reflector. Depending on your minimag it might center itself or not.

Killer throw (equal to my stinger). Super even spill. Surely someone can take this to the next level... (eg: lens, etc)

pyro

Enlightened
Now imagine how a nice 3 watter driven at 1 amp or so
throws in a 3D mag mod. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Does someone make a drop-in with a lux 3 that is regulated?

[/ QUOTE ]

A drop into what?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Thanks for the link. However, I'm looking for something that's regulated like the badboy sandwich/arc lsh/etc. Also, if possible, I'd like it to go in a 3 cell light.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:

Take a minimag, put in a sandwich (mine is a lux 3 bb 650). Insert this into the back of a regular mag c/d reflector. Depending on your minimag it might center itself or not.

Killer throw (equal to my stinger). Super even spill. Surely someone can take this to the next level... (eg: lens, etc)

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny, that's my next project. An aluminum spacer that threads into the head of a Mag C cell head with threads inside the bore to match the mini-mag or Dorcy Magnum (1AA with 3 volt battery and Lux III).

Used with the Dorcy, it's easy to hold and sits face down on the seat of the car. It's great for finding house numbers.

Daniel

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:
Thanks for the link. However, I'm looking for something that's regulated like the badboy sandwich/arc lsh/etc. Also, if possible, I'd like it to go in a 3 cell light.

[/ QUOTE ]

When it comes to 3 cell lights I think regualtion isn't really needed. Especially with nimh's you can achieve nice flat discharge and output curves. I have a 3aaa light direct dirving a lux3 and it gives me at least one and a half hours of light, in this time my eyes don't notice any brightness change. With three D's I guess regulation won't give you much longer/better light but it will cost you much more to build it.

Chrisse

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
HOLY BAT TURDS!!!

I had a C/D refector that wouldn't focus in a M*g anymore, so I ghetto modded my Madmax mini, then taped a lense over it.

What a beautiful spot! With excellent spill!

I need one o them SXo17 or whatever it's called!!! Beats an NX05 all to heck!

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
Mine isn't insanely bright. Older bin, maybe the NimH are down 20-25%. That said, this ROCKS!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
holy crap!

i took my BB400 Lux3 w/NX05:

stock=380lux at 1 meter.

with KILLER minimag mod: over 1800 lux in the hotspot!

at close range, the hotspot looks like a doughnut, but beyond maybe 5 ft, the spot becomes solid.
spill is nice. the beam is similar to a TL-2 LED, with a much more concentrated hotspot.

impressive! good job Turbodog!

Bob

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
turbodog said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I have not done it right, but I made up a threaded delrin spacer to fit into the D cell minimag head. It's not threaded on the inside, but the tight fit of the o-ring makes it secur enough that it was fine after dropping it from 4 feet.

turbomm1.jpg

The spacer is not tapered too well because I'm just learning to use my lathe and have not figured out how to continue the curve of the mag head. I left plenty of stock there so I could do it right after I've practiced turning curves.

Here's what it looks like inside. The top of the spacer is threaded to match the Mag's 20 TPI threads. The tail of the reflector is trimmed off to about 1/16th of an inch.

turbomm2.jpg

The business end.
turbomm3.jpg

And the beam shot. That's noontime sun shining through the window in the room behind the picture. This is from 25 feet.

turbomm5.jpg

I'll re-do this in aluminium after I have a chance to practice more.

Daniel

tygger

Enlightened
Didn't Mr. Bulk make something similar to this in one of his early designs? Anyway, if someone were to make and sell a C/D Head adapter for the Mini I'd rip off my old Mag 2D head faster than you could say "holy throw Batman!" Keep practicing with that lathe gadget lover. Nice work.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
Ok, here's the same light with an NX05 and the turbo head. The turbo-head is on the bottom /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The camera was set to 1/8 second and F2.8 for both shots.

turbomm7.jpg

turbomm8.jpg

Daniel