Night Navigation and Flashlight Testing

The_Seeker

Newly Enlightened
Night Navigation and Flashlight Testing

Hello from The Seeker!

The purpose of a trip we took to the Catskill Mountains in Upstate New York was to collect deer antlers, camp, hike, and scout in an annual trip my father makes to his autumn deer hunting area. This time, the activities were increased by night navigation using three GPS's, compasses, and radios, and a big bunch of new expensive flashlights that my father collected during the winter months and that he was anxious to try out. The testers were to be three of my friends and myself, all having fourteen to fifteen years of age, experiences in the Boy Scouts and a profound interest in applying the techniques of night navigation aided by GPS's together with printed maps using the UTM scale. My mother also came along. Since we had only three GPS's we divided into three groups of two people each., each on a quest for a pair of antlers, scouting by day and hiking using our flashlights by night. My parents camped 300 yards from us; the area was flat at 1100 feet with only two hills of an elevation of 2000 feet above sea level. Those hills were heavily laden with pine trees and hardwoods. Criss-crossed are the woods with paths made by man and animals. Temperatures had ranged from forty-five to fifty at night and reached sixty-five degrees during the sunlight hours. Radio communication between the three groups was by the hour.

Now that the settings have been set (pun not intended), this is the part where we get to the bulk of things. Our mission during the day was to collect cast deer antlers, but at night, we were to navigate to different positions marked in the map using the GPS, radio, and flashlights. We each had five lights; for testing, for throw, for side spill, for power, and for general user friendly. Most of these lights were powered by 123 batteries; we had:
• L-4 Lumamax (60 lumens)
• E2e with new KL-1 head
• E1e with KL-4 mod. by McGizmo with 1 watt R2H BB600
• E2e with MN03 (60 lumen lamp)
• E1e with 15 lumen lamp
• A2 Aviator
• E2e with E2c with Z-44 and P61 lamp (not to be used except for testing against the one below)
• E2e Plus (NASCAR conversion of bezel and P61)

Those were the SureFires that we had. Also used were:
• Inova X5T
• Streamlight TT.2L
• Nuwaii with 3-6-LED + Xenon (bigger in the head than the TT2L but comparable)
• ARC LHS-S
• ARC AA
• CMG Infinity Ultra
• Pelican M-6 Xenon
• Streamlight NightFighter II (105 lumens)
• TL 2 (105 lumens)
• TL 3, owned by my father (200 lumens)

When using the lights for hiking, we were supposed to keep track of the time that it was on, and notice, and write down, when a drop in output was noticeable. My friends and I tried to do that, but it was difficult as we also had to keep track of position and input new coordinates in the GPS, plus manage the radio and consult the compass and map. It developed that the information that we collected was not to my father's liking, as it was inconsistent. But for what it's worth, I will share with you my impressions. Perhaps the most sensible light, and the one that my friends and I considered the best for general use, was the A2 Aviator. The 3 LEDs make a good walking light and the Xenon bulb is there if you need more light. We particularly liked the 2 stage tail switch for being in the the rear (a position that is easy to find). The streamlight TT2L and the Nuwaii achieved second place. The switch in the TT2L and the Nuwaii is not as convenient, as you have to rotate the light in your hand to locate it. Also, the TT2L is bigger than the A2 and the Nuwaii is even bigger on the head (it has six LEDs plus a Xenon). But these three lights were considered the best for their versatility of the two beams in one light. For small size and power in a Luxeon, the prize goes to the L4. But in my opinion, this light is too much for walking where the trails are too narrow and the pine trees close in upon you. It seems to be so much wasted light that seems to be reflected back to you. I would like to see this light with a switch with two or three intensity settings, low, medium and high. Then it would be ideal. It also became very hot in my hands in a hike of thirty minutes. I did not know if it was normal, so I finished my hike with the E2e 60 lumens (still too much light for close walking). I next tried the E1e with KL-4 McGizmo head. Small and bright and white, I like it very much, but it also seems to overheat a little. One of my friends was using the E2e with KL1 with the high Luxeon head (my father told me how to find out if it is a high or low Luxeon by looking at its beam reflected on a wall; if the bulb's shadow is square, it is a high Luxeon. If it is round, it is a low Luxeon). My friend liked the KL1 so much that he wanted to buy it on the spot. After using the E1e with the McGizmo head and using the ARC LSH-S, I found the E1e with the fifteen lumen lamp quite disappointing. It lacks sufficient side spill and the light casts a yellow beam. The Inova X5T was well liked by me and my friends. The side spill was good and the power adequate. We used it for a long walk of forty minutes and it did not get hot at all. The ARC AA and the Infinity Ultra are such friendly lights, which can be used when bigger lights are too much; I do not have the means to praise them enough. We hung the regular Infinity from the ceiling of our tent and had light all night long. But the ARC AA can be used in candle mode, as it has a flat base, although I kept mine in the center of a roll of toilet paper. Both are very useful lights and small enough not to be a burden. I will ask my father for one to begin my EDCs in this fashion. The incandescent ones were to be used as long throw, like spotlights. We liked the streamlights TL2 and the Nightfighter 2 for small-sized, 105 lumen lights with affordable prices. I dream of owning a Tl-2, so much that I liked its power in relation to size and weight. Also, it has a body clip and spare bulb in the bulb holder. The Pelican M6 was good also, but a little larger and heavier than the others. The King of the powerful ones was TL3 Xenon, 200 lumens. It throws very far, and the intensity of light is unbelievable. The E2e Plus NASCAR and the E2e E2c Z44 are curiosities; the one with the Z44 bezel throws farther than the NASCAR, but both used the P61 120 lumen lamp. My father said that it can not be used for more than a few minutes, as they will become very hot. The NASCAR will undergo thermal shutdown in about five minutes. So, I don't consider them useful for hiking or work around the campsite; just curiosities. But if I had to take one, it would be the E2e E2c Z-44 because lamps could be changed without modification. Also, it has more throw and lasts longer before it is uncomfortable to hold. My mother's personal favorite is the Baby Pin; it trounced the other LEDs in throw; excellent for such a small size.

We collected 3 antlers unmatched and small (3-4 points). Deer tracks were everywhere, but we didn't see the baby tracks yet. We heard coyotes at night but failed to see any. We saw blood only on top of a stump; my mother said it was probably a night owl who caught a rabbit or something and took it to the stump to finish the killing there. I saw a porcupine and some squirrels, and the first night at two P.M., a deer approached our tent and started blowing and stomping the ground, but left in a jiffy when we shined the TL2 at him. My father also has an Inova X1; it throws a perfectly round spot with no side spill. You can not see where you are going with this light; it is not a good light for hiking although it would be ideal to modify with a bat inside as a signal to Robin.

I am sorry my second post came out so long, and I don't know if it has any value whatsoever for flashaholics. I only know I am becoming one and I just tried to put my impressions of what I saw in those lights. My friends and I had a great time and I got them to be interested in lights. Let's hope for some new flashaholics coming to CPF!

The End.
Simply, A Seeker

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Hi Seeker,
That was a very well written report and quite interesting. Thank you for sharing! I can see that you've learned a lot by trying different lights in the field.
Tell your dad that the McGizmo modified Surefire L1/2x123/PR gives the A2 some good competition. I prefer it with a 5 watt/BB750 for more lumens, but the Lux3/DB917 have more throw and the spill is similar to the spill of a L4. The A2 still has a wider beam on low. I've tried a lot of lights, but the A2 is pretty hard to beat.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Hoghead said:
Hi Seeker,
That was a very well written report and quite interesting. Thank you for sharing! I can see that you've learned a lot by trying different lights in the field.
Tell your dad that the McGizmo modified Surefire L1/2x123/PR gives the A2 some good competition. I prefer it with a 5 watt/BB750 for more lumens, but the Lux3/DB917 have more throw and the spill is similar to the spill of a L4. The A2 still has a wider beam on low. I've tried a lot of lights, but the A2 is pretty hard to beat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that! Well written!
The the L1-PR-(T) combo with the DB917 is tops for me.

Aloha

The_Seeker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks HogHead, Kiessling, BigHonu and Play Boy Joe Schmoe for your kind comments. My father mentioned McGizmo was working on an L1 with a 2 stage switch. Also he is working on a two stage tailcap, and that will be great to enhance many SureFires.

About last week my father got a PRT McGizmo head Down Boy 917 TX1K and he put this on an E20 and added a Z57 tailcap. It is his favorite now; fantastic throw.

Thanks again, and goodbye.

Simply, A Seeker

JohnnyB

Newly Enlightened
I thoroughly enjoyed your post and look forward to your next. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
great job, Seeker, and thanks for the info.

i really enjoy "real world" reviews such as this.
we do a lot of shortish night hikes (2 hrs or less), and this is precisely why i want a luxeon with dimming capability.
your findings are identical to ours: for camping, we need lights that range from very dim (about 5 lux) to fairly bright (300-400 lux). floody beams seem to work best.
the lights should be pocketable/easy to carry.

5 lux (palight on 1st setting) is great for reading in the tent, or even navigating in very dark conditions without disturbing anyone.
30 lux (ARC aa, aaa or infinity ultra)to 100lux (attitude, opalec, eternalights, twintask 2L on low setting) is pretty good when hiking dark areas, and saves energy.

for walking in areas where some ambient light is present, i find 150-200lux to be the magic number (UK4aaLED, streamlight 4aaLED, DD 2aa luxeons like the inretech on lithiums). i discovered this while out west last year. we visited the Grand Canyon and Zion, and i found that 100 lux or less (eternalight and early unusually dim/green inretech) just was not enough to cut through ambient light.

300lux and up are usually plenty bright for our camping/hikes. a BB400 (or MMlite) with high dome and NX05 is excellent. plenty of throw, great sidespill, and both of mine make 380+lux (at 1 meter) for over 2.5 hrs straight.

of note: headlights are VERY nice as well.

i dont like having to bring a bagful of lights (well, i guess it IS fun!), so i want ONE light that starts out dim, and can be adjusted to a brighter state as needed, preferrably with a simple user interface.

i think an incredible combo would be a single well-driven multi-brightness luxeon, and an incan for occasional throw.

im really interested in the ARC4...saving $$$ as we speak!
add a nite-ize headband, and an M6, TL-2 or surefire G2 etc and you have a pair of lights that can do nearly everything.

take care,
Bob

The_Seeker

Newly Enlightened
JohnnyB: Thank you for your kind comment. In a side note I am leaving for Virginia Beach tomorrow, to play with my school band from Selden. We are playing in either Burkley Middle School or Lafayette High School, and we are staying in the Ramada Inn in Central Williamsburg. We are also to visit Bush Gardens.

Pedalinbob: Thank you for your comment, and I am also glad that your findings are like mine, but you went beyond and even have the Lux values!!!
I think that is a very interesting way to categorize the usefulness of different lights.
I completely agree with you that the ARC4 will be the best multilevel light, augmented by an incandescent for throw.

I mentioned in one of my responses to my previous posting that one of my fellow Scouts has a Diamondback Gemini. The same person came with me on my camping trip Upstate, although he used only my father's flashlights. I mention again how useful and handy a headlamps are in a camp, leaving your free for any kind of work or chore.

Of the ones that you recommended I have the Surefire G-2, given to me quite recently by Mr. Andy of FLASHLIGHTS4LESS as a reward and incentive on occasion of my first posting, Boy Scout Flashlight Competition.
I love this Forum. Very friendly and helpful people.

Thanks to all.

Simply, A Seeker

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Seeker,
Excellent real world post filled with useful information clearly and objectively presented.

Bob,
Great information also

Brightnorm

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast
Seeker,
Let me add my thanks also for the very informative and detailed post. Indeed, you do write very well for one your age. Its very enjoyable reading all the way, keep up the excellent work! Your trip sounds like a lot of fun, do keep us updated with more of your adventures...

By the way, your dad wouldn't happen to be one of us CPFers as well by any chance, would he? Cos it seems like he knows his lights well enough, esp the modded ones... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_Seeker

Newly Enlightened
Brightnorm, StuU, and Stanley, thanks for the kind comments. Rest assured that I will keep in touch and updated.

Also, Stanley, my father lurks around in CPF.

Thank you again and good tidings.

Simply, A Seeker

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Seeker, please do continue posting. I do not know when I have read a better "real world" review.

Bill

Latest posts