Laptop Battery Mod / Questions

reviewum

Enlightened
I've got this old laptop battery and have a few questions. It is NIMH 7.2 volts, 3800 mAh.

On the top it has 4 terminal connections, one "+" two "-" and one upside down "T"??? What happened to just one possitive and one negative?

Any other mods made out of laptop batteries??? Any ideas??? I also need to find some way to charge the thing!

Here's an image
CB1200G-21H.jpg

BatteryCharger

Flashlight Enthusiast
The T is for the temperature sensor inside the pack. As cheap as NiMh batteries are now, I wouldn't waste my time with this pack, especially if it's old. I guarantee you can find whatever cells it has inside in a higher capacity, for only a couple of dollars...

reviewum

Enlightened
Thanks batteryCharger, but my modding montra is one of using things up and wearing them down, so I gotta do something with this beast! :)

So, why two negative terminals? Should I just bust this thing open and pull the cells out? Any guesses of what's inside?

I've got a solar panel sitting around, so maybe I'll make it into a rechargeable solar nightlight?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
One of the grounds is probably for the temperature sensor and isolated from the other.

Odds are there's a shrink-wrapped battery of OEM cells inside the plastic housing - quite likely flat-top irregular sizes.

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just thought i'd mention... 27WH is about that of a single 'D' battery (alkaline).... however... it's an interesting thought to mod..

however.. if you don't have the proper charger... beware... charging LiON is not for the faint of heart.

-awr

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
reviewum said:
It is NIMH 7.2 volts, 3800 mAh.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
andrewwynn said:
charging LiON is not for the faint of heart.

-awr

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Klaus

andrewwynn

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops.. mia cupla... NiMH not nearly so difficult, however I know my drill batteries (NiMH) have a very fancy charger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I figure 'yank it apart' and look into what cells are inside... worst case scenario you get to learn what the battery is ... and you get to have a little fun with them before you toss it out, alternative to just tossing it out.

-awr

Zelandeth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just something to note here I think, if that's a laptop battery old enough to be NiMH based, chances are that it's seen better days.

You had a chance to check how much of a charge it's taking/holding?

Seems precious little point in building a mod around a battery, then finding that the pack's dead.

reviewum

Enlightened
Very good point! I guess I'll just have to pull the thing apart and see what I've got. Then I'll see if it holds a charge.

Thanks for the comments!