Which one ?!?

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
CR123.

Too confusing.

VIP, ARC4, Fire~Fly, Longbow, probably more.

Which is best bang for buck? most of them have some sort of brightness adjustment, so you can have long runtime, or high brightness, but how is one to make up one's mind?

Don't tell me to buy all of them! I have a wife you know. And I would like to keep her. That may become difficult if I'm not careful with ordering lights ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i'd vote for the arc4 as well.

it might be more expensive, but it's well worth it, especially considering you can use rechargable cells! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Glenn

Enlightened
ARC 4+...........It is the ONLY one that you can select the LEVEL OF OUTPUT TO SUIT YOURSELF !!!!

Glenn

machulu

Newly Enlightened
I think for the best value, it's between the longbow and ARC4 second. I think the Longbow has the best fit and finish out of all the lights you mentioned and at a fraction of the cost. For me it's hard to use "bang for the buck" as a means of comparing lights because there are many variations that gives each light it's own personality. Buy the one that fits your needs the best and you won't regret it no matter how much you end up spending... that's my dumb logic anyways.

~Stephen

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
Yaesu's Arc4+ second recommendation is probably best balance of cost and features. At only $99, it offers a host of features none of the others have. Of course, it depends on what you want to use it for.

If you want to EDC something small, that's the FFv2.
If it's a solid light for low cost, then the Longbow.
If it's bright and flexible, its the Lux III VIP.
If it's the most features, it's the Arc4+.

In my calculus, I think I'd EDC and use the FFv2 the most, but I care most about size and weight, rather than sheer number of levels or lowest cost.

A caveat about the Arc4+ second, I had originally bought three, and two turned out to be lemons. So while I got one I was very happy with, if I had planned on only one and got a crappy lite, there would have been quite a bit of sending back and forth to make it right. I gave up on the idea of having three, but that freed up capital for the Firefly!

Good luck,
daloosh

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
gadget_lover said:
I like the Pelican M6 Led for s 2xCR123 light. Very bright with good runtime.

Daniel

[/ QUOTE ]

And IMO top notch beam quality.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the idea of EDCing a pretty small light, as my pockets are perpetually full. The ff2 looks good, especially with the two brightness settings. I don't care about having 16 settings, I just don't think I need them all, even though it's pretty cool!

I like the idea of something that I can drop a reflector in if I wish (such as the so17xa). I do sound fussy don't I?

But which one has the highest brightness on the fullest setting? Is that the VIP? Which one runs longest on the lowest setting? The ACR4?

I still can't decide.

daloosh

Flashaholic*,
I'm very happy with two settings on the LSH-P, so I can't see having a problem with only two on the FFv2. Most of us never use 16 settings on the Arc4+, tho having three or four is useful. Lowest on the Arc is pretty low, and will probably run close to forever on a batt.

Thing about the VIP, is you can easily add a reflector (Chop is cooking up a batch as we speak), and with the optional Bulk Heads, will be brightest. And you get an extra power level, over the FF.

But like I said, small and light for me, so still the FFv2! I did promise my wife that after the FFv2 and VIP, I would seriously curtail the torch budget.

daloosh

Neg2LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire L1 All the way!

[bindibadgi: i like your sig. of course, set a man on fire and he wont live very long /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif]

neg

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've got it, Neg.

Is anyone game enough to say whether the ff2 or the VIP is better in the brightness vs runtime game? I know, millions of different answers to that. What I mean is, which one's brighter, which one lasts longer? Then I MIGHT be able to make up my own mind ( /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ).

I suppose that means which one drives the LED harder, or which circuit is more efficient. I suppose I need some kind of run time plot for this. I just wish I had money. I WOULD buy all of the above.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey bindibadgi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

It's gonna be difficult to get a VIP if you aren't already on the list, but of the 1x123 lights, it is probably the brightest.

Feller CPFer in Australia, YCLO, has a new Arc4+ for sale on B/S/T. You could save some money on shipping and customs. Plus you could have it in a couple of days.

I think a FireFly with the 2 stage switch is the closest to
meeting your requirements.

Britt

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc4+ second (you don't need to use all the settings just hi & lo but they're there if you ever think you'll need them)- best 'bang for the buck' IMHO.

FF2(2-stage)- most compact, there'll be an optional CR2 body later to be even more compact.

VIP - brightest if I'm not wrong, can drop in a modded reflector from Chop.

bindibadgi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure that you're all making this any easier /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif, but thanks heaps anyway. It's great to be a part of such a helpful community!

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif