Studfinder

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Ryobi stud finder from Home Depot for $19.99 and it sucks. It gives me false readings. Should I be buying another brand?

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
I still use the old tap with my knuckles technique /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Of course both of my Grandfathers were carpenters so I must have learned a little bit from them. Tap, tap, tap, thud.. there it is.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
it isnt hard to find me if youre the right women.sorry couldt resist

notos&w

Enlightened
the ryobi i bought at home depot for $10 doesnt work worth a flip either. on some walls it works fine, on most it never stops beeping. cant figure out why.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raggie, I said that too to my former girlfriend. Notice the word former, ha, ha. I guess she didn't agree when I held it up to my chest and wondered why it didn't go off.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
They had a Zircon for the same price. I'll get it next time. For now, the Ryobi POS is going back.

I tried the tap tap but still have a time findng the studs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*
If you have a compass handy you can use that also. Hold the compass flat against the wall like a stud finder and the needle will move when it passes over a nail.

BIGIRON

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to cover the site with a picture or something a small nail, in conjunction with "tap, tap" will help. Don't forget, studs are normally (but not always) 16" center to center. Also, an electric switch or plug box will almost always be attached to a stud.