fireflys! the insect

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ok who as a kid caught them.put them in a glass jar with the holes in the top.and where it uter amazement?i miss that it was so cool first time i saw them i think i was a tad afraid but then i spent the next few hours or so catching them.i think it was one of the things who made me cathc the light hobby

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Re: fireflies!

We don't have firebugs, cicadas, grasshoppers, crickets, luna moths, or other interesting insects around here. And we certainly didn't have them in Alaska where I grew up. I've never seen a firefly, so I don't know what it would have been like to put them in a jar and use them like a flashlight or lantern. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

xochi

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: fireflys!

Yeah I've done that. Nostalgia city. I've also seen the glowing larvae on the ground as well as a glowing spider and a few glowing fungi. All this between Pa and Ga.

Negeltu

Enlightened

I used to catch fireflies back in Virginia. Great fun. Unfortunately there are none in Oregon... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

I used to catch them and put them a jar also. One would always manage to get out in the middle of the night and fly lit up around the room. My 6 year old has been catching them and it sure brings up some memories. He has also been catching lizards and frogs and putting them in his pockets. My wife makes me check his pockets before he comes in the the house. Man to be 6 years old again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
The_LED_Museum said:
We don't have firebugs, cicadas, grasshoppers, crickets, luna moths, or other interesting insects around here. And we certainly didn't have them in Alaska where I grew up. I've never seen a firefly, so I don't know what it would have been like to put them in a jar and use them like a flashlight or lantern. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, you missed out! When they really swarm, and it's like a blinking rain all around you, it's too cool.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

Are there fireflies in southern California, or are they just on the east coast?
I've been to northern and north-central California (Eureka, Loleta, Garberville, Richardson's Grove, Sacramento) in the summer, and did not see them there.

LifeNRA

Flashaholic*

There is a species of firefly in the North Carolina mountains and in South America which synchronize thier flashes so that they all flash on and off at the same time. How they do it no one knows.

Edit: I was mistaken about South America. I should have said Asia. Also the fireflies flashing in unison has been observed all along the Appalachians not just in North Carolina. I had seen on TV that it was just in NC but apparently that was wrong. Here is a link http://www.npca.org/magazine/2004/spring/mysteries.asp

idleprocess

Flashaholic

Growing up in Oregon, I remember the HUUUUGE slugs. I have seen 12" (~30cm) slugs with spots. Must have been all that rain. My father had a woodshop and used to toss any that trespassed into the sawdust bin... heh.

The slugs in Texas are so small that they're usually mistaken for cat poop.