• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired WTB: Arc 4 tailcap mod 1.2

DaveT

Enlightened
Hi - I'm not sure who I'm addressing this one to, or if anyone is set up to do this. I have 4 Arc4+ seconds (one for me, three for loved ones) and the only thing I'd really like changed is the tailcap. I've seen this mod discussed in this thread: Tailcap Rev. 1.2 mod
This looks great to me, but CY says he's not doing them for the general public. Has anyone done this? Is anyone available to do this mod? (hopefully not using my Arcs as the guinea pigs)
Any opinions on whether or not it's a good idea to do this?
What would be the ballpark price someone would charge for this?
OK guys, be my Home Depot here...I have questions. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Thanks!
Dave

EDIT: Forgot to mention, all my Arc4+ seconds are Rev. 1

cy

Flashaholic
For some reason there has been almost no interest in this mod. I have send out instructions and 3/4in rubber disc to all the beta testers I have materials for.

Unfortunately I am almost out of the 3M material with the nice crosshatches(the remaining units are going to Peter for testing). But I have plenty of another slightly stiffer material. Not quite as good switch feel, but still does an excellent job.

I have been sending out mods at No charge to everyone that has expressed an interested.

It's a real shame that such a minor switch problem that is so easily fixed is overshadowing such a great product (arc4).

This mod is dead simple to do. I've already posted details on how to do this. the results are astonding. So far the mod has been dead reliable. For something that fixes almost all the complaints of Arc4, I find it astounding that more folks have not requested this fix.

I have in the works tailcap mod 1.3 that will adress the battery length tolarance problems of Arc4.

As I don't have a supply of gold discs, I can only send out instructions and the rubber disc VS a turnkey mod.

Please PM if you want one at no charge.

If your do this mod exactly as I have laid out (tolarance are very unforgiving). You will end up with a reliable protected switch with excellent tactile feel, that will stand on it's end.

Please support Peter and Arc. It's such a valuable resource to our community. Arc needs you support now more than ever. He is getting wacked on several fronts, but with your support. Arc will make it just fine.

MY

Enlightened
My tailcap 1.1 mod has worked perfect for the last several months that I see no need to upgrade to version 1.2. The mod addresses all the concerns that folks have articulated about ARC4 switch difficulties. My switch even has an audible tactile click each time it is depressed. Sweet.

Regards.

DaveT

Enlightened
I think Cy did a great thing by tinkering and coming up with his simple but elegant mod - which kills several birds with one stone: allows use with different batteries, protects the switch from damage in a drop, and allows it to stand on end.
I consider this to be potentially as big a deal as what Litfuse came up with for the Z57 clickie - making people who are happy with a great product even happier. The only thing missing in the equation is someone to offer to perform the mod for those of us without soldering irons or the "tinkering gene."
I'm hoping this thread will smoke out someone who'll offer this mod in roughly the same way Litfuse offered his:
Litfuse's Z57 mod
I'm willing to be someone's first customer, and give them four Arcs to work with at once - hopefully getting them over whatever learning curve there is for this one. I'm also willing to kick in a bit extra to cover purchase of supplies. The only thing missing is someone who wants to tackle this. Who's up to the challenge?

Thanks folks
Dave

cy

Flashaholic
I would be willing do a limited number of complete mods. At this point before tailcap mod 1.3 is finished, I would need access to the entire light with the different battery brands you are going to be using to do this mod.

In the samples that I measured, only .017 difference between rev1 and rev2 was enough to throw everything really off. Normally in a production eviroment, engineering has factored in battery length variances. This is difinately an engineering failure.

But the good news is it's really easy to fix. When tailcap mod 1.3 is done. The battery length/contact issues should be resolved.

Instead of sending four units, lets start with two. I may go ahead try the tailcap mod 1.3 on these arc4's. If you had extra gold disc to send, I could do the mod on spare discs, so you can switch back at your convience.

If you were able to call Arc and get more gold discs. there is a possibility, I will not need access to the entire light. I could then send out turnkey units.

I will do this at no charge, because this is still beta. I only want to be compensated for shipping and insurance.

Please post here so I can use this list to track, then PM.

DaveT

Enlightened
A very happy ending. I got my 4 modded Arcs back from CY last night - and I'm VERY happy with the results. And as this is such an easily reversible mod, I highly recommend it to those sitting on the fence. Try it, you'll (probably) like it!
Review Dave