LB Micra w/IMS reflector beam shot vs G2

bald1

Enlightened
Here's shots taken with camera on floor and beam aimed at the ceiling. Manual mode... all with the same exposure settings. Figure 5-6 feet between beam and ceiling. You can see the 4" ceiling spotlight for a perspective. And that black thing is the handlebar of my bicycle sitting on rollers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif The stock carclo 6 degree optic is amenic in comparison.

--Bob

Longbow Micra w/UCL lens and IMS pre-production improved S017XA reflector:
micra_IMS_bs.JPG

Surefire G2 with P60 LA:
g2_bs.JPG

bald1

Enlightened
And a couple more for the heck of it. Same setup.

Inova X5T-HA:
x5t_bs.JPG

Tigerlight FBOP w/ UCL:
tl_bs.JPG

You can see the Tigerlight in the upper right corner which should explain why with these two shots there is a bit of splash to the lower left.

--Bob

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good Lord! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif
I was about to order a couple of reflectors, but with all the fuss about the new improved ones, maybe I should hold out.
Does anyone have the improved version for sale yet?

bald1

Enlightened
Shots from the stock one didn't come out as my batteries died in the digicam. But the beam hotspot isn't as "hot" nor is there the well defined spill the reflector gives.

As for availability, Elektrolumens did have some of the older style in stock as of a few days ago. And Greg from IMS indicated that Futura should have stock of the actual production runs of the newer reflectors shortly.

--Bob

NIGHTGUY

Newly Enlightened
bald1,

Do you know if we can order directly from IMS for just one piece or will Elektrolumens will carry the newer reflectors?

James

bald1

Enlightened
James,

IMS is the manufacturer and doesn't sell direct. Greg, their VP, simply sent some pre-production samples to a few CPForumites.

In the Longbow owners thread I posted information I'd received from Greg about the pre-production units and what the actual production units will be like... 5-10% improvement overall, etc. Recommend you and others look at that post (should be near the end of the thread).

--Bob

bald1

Enlightened
I posted this on that thread on 5-17-04:

Just received my "sample" refectors from Greg at IMS. The replacement for the S017XA is a simple reflector shell with three support footpads instead of the capsule like shroud on the ones DarkZero has pictured above.

I diassembled my Micra and compared it to the stock optic. Diameter was spot on but height was a bit more. After a judicous application of a gunsmith fine file and 3M's Dri-A-Mite 320 grit paper, the three feet were gone and the base perfectly flat. Installation was a snap with the dressed reflector dropping in perfectly.

The hot spot is at least as intense as the stock optic but oh my word the huge well defined spill area is amazing! Kinda like having both a spot and a flood in one beam. Haven't done any comparisons to see how the throw compares but regardless the IMS reflector is staying put

I did take a picture showing the diassembled Micra with both top and bottom of the reflector plus the one I removed the feet from but my ISP photo storage is currently maxed out. I need to clean up some of the old pictures before I can upload this to share. (If someone wants to host it in the meantime please PM me.) I also am just getting the hang of beamshots and have yet to try my hand with the Micra-IMS combo.

I've e-mailed Greg at IMS to thank him for the samples and to praise the performance of this reflector. I'm sold on 'em

--Bob

PS Greg just e-mailed me back to indicate that as good as I found these, they were pre-production samples. His optimized production models will have a higher quality coating, less texture for a tighter hotspot, and less overcoating than evidenced in the sample I've used. Overall that should equate to a 5% to 10% improvement in the production reflectors that Futura will be carrying. Great stuff!!!

PPS Don McLeish aka McGizmo has a nice post w/pix about having also received his samples and installing them in a McLux. This in the custom/modified forum. I'm anxiously awaiting his Longbow McCapsule to be available I also received and responded to a PM offering to host that group reflector picture alluded to above. Thanks

In addition to Don McLeish aka McGizmo, others have posted some much better close up pix of those reflectors in the mod forum.

--Bob

03lab

Enlightened
We need to do a group buy on those new reflectors, or maybe flashlightlens.com will bundle them with the UCL lens. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif