pm sent?????

bhds

Enlightened
Okay, I give. What is the purpose of posting pm sent in a thread /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif I hate it when a favorite thread that I am watching shows a new posting and when I go to check it out the only thing new is 5 "pm sent" messages
Somebody clue me in /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

Stefan

Enlightened
I'm guessing it has two purposes. Usually if its seen in a B/S/T forum it moves the thread to the top to be viewed, and it usually reminds others reading the thread that someone is interested in the item.

lightemup

Flashaholic*
If the poster of an item says replies and offers on thread takes precedence it is a way of becoming first in line....

It also makes the b/s/t process more transparent in my opinion, as other readers etc have an idea of what is going on, and i'm under the impression that we are not to rely on the pm system, so it gives record of a sent pm just in case the other person doesn't receive it, or to bring their attention to it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif hope that helps /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oops, kong fu beat me to the last one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

bhds

Enlightened
I can see how it would be useful for reserving your place in line especially if it is requested by the seller. I guess what I dont understand is when a thread is a bazillion posts long and nobody is vying for a limited product. I just recently bought a hotlips from hotbeam and received it 2 days ago. I sent him the money through paypal with all the pertinent info. Got a confirmation and the product in timely fashion. Didnt have to post "paypal sent" or "pm sent" in thread. Okay. I got that off my chest.

Oh, and before anyone flames me- it ain't no big deal. It was a mini mini rant /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
well ... I am partially with you. I find it a bit annoying in B/S/T threads to read "PM sent" ... you wonder if the thing is taken, if it is just a question or whatever. This is part of some "sales-confusion" lately and should be resolved by the seller who must clearly state how to proceed with his sale and who takes precedence ... e.g. PMs, e-mails, posts etc.

In your specific example however a "PM sent" or "PayPal sent" would have been a bounce to the top for hotbeams and a signal to others that this item causes some interest, thus promoting more sales. Unlimited sales do profit of such messages.

bernhard

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
As stated in the B/S/T Forums Policies:

"PM or E-mail sent": This seems to cause some confusion. This should be posted to draw the seller's attention so that they know an E-mail or private message has indeed been sent and can still serve as a "time stamp" depending on what forms of communication are to be accepted as sales confirmation as stated by the seller. Until the seller posts "Sale closed" or "Item sold", consider the item up for sale.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BTT" NOT PM Sent would be the correct entry for a "Bump to the top" so that the post would indeed be added to the top of the list.

Additional thoughts on "PM Sent": Not all negotiations and/or conversations/opinions need to be posted in public. There's nothing wrong with again posting "PM Sent" to get an individuals attention that they need to check their email or PMs.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess one of the reason is sometimes someone out there chose not to receive an email notification when a PM is sent so unless he constantly checks his PM he would not know.

When we log into CPF and if there is a PM for us we would see a flashing envelope on the top left of the page. But due to the small size of the envelope some may not even notice it.

I believe the original poster of this thread bhds is not only referring to the B/S/T section but as a whole.

naromtap

Enlightened
Sometimes I never log in if I'm having a quick browse, so whenever I've typed PM sent, it's because I figured that others probably do the same, so my 'PM sent', will prompt them to log in to check their mail as kongfuchicken pointed out. I too figured it acted as a 'time stamp' as Sigman confirms.