Concerned about Arc AAA cold weather performance

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The cold weather is coming and I feel well prepared with my lithium powered lights, including the Inova X5 LED. I love the Arc but since it takes AAA's, and I know of no lithium AAA, I'm concerned about its cold weather performance, especially since it is such a tiny battery.

Does anybody know just how much of a loss the alkaline AAA will experience for a given temp/time exposure? Do you just lose run time, or brightness in addition to run time?

Brightnorm

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read that there is a significant loss of performance when alkaline batteries get cold (I believe several degrees below freezing), but I don't believe they die out completely. Before I was wise to the ways of better flashlights, my 6V latern flashlight worked one evening when it was left in the car at near zero (F) degrees.

Empath

Flashaholic
Even near dead condition from the cold will likely still drive it. You'll probably freeze to death before it gives out. Then, when you get it back inside, the power is right back in it.

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about an experiement.

Do a runtime experiment in the fridge and/or freezer.

-john

remuen

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John N:
How about an experiement.

Do a runtime experiment in the fridge and/or freezer.

-john
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I let one of my ARC's overnight outside at about 0° (C). Everything outsinde was frozen but the ARC worked fine with the same brightness as the other ones. Of course the runtime would be worse (depending on the battery - I used a almost new Energizer). If the battery is already low the cold would be a real problem for an alcaline battery.

papasan

Enlightened
do rechargable nimh or nicd have the same aversion to cold as alkalines?...perhaps this is your answer...

if so...well...get an infinity and a lithium cell =)...

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by papasan:
do rechargable nimh or nicd have the same aversion to cold as alkalines?...perhaps this is your answer...

if so...well...get an infinity and a lithium cell =)...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IME-NiMH/NcDs don't like extreme cold either. Sooo.., get the Infinity cyan (Turqoise?) -it's supposed to be about twice as bright as the white one, and use the Lithium battery
wink.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
Whew! I'll tell you what - If it's too cold for my Arc to light, it's too damn cold for me to be stading out there! Maybe that'll be my indicator to come in from the cold. A lithium AAA cell may just get me killed!

grin.gif

vcal

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Whew! I'll tell you what - If it's too cold for my Arc to light, it's too damn cold for me to be stading out there! Maybe that'll be my indicator to come in from the cold. A lithium AAA cell may just get me killed!

grin.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But we'd still kinda like to see an Li-AAA cell available, now wouldn't we??
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
So there actually is such a thing as a lithium AAA or are you guys just kidding around?

I think I'll try John N's refrigerator idea. But maybe the freezer is better because I expect to spend some time in rural Ontario.

Anyway, thanks for all the input.

Regards,
Brightnorm

PS (I'd still love to know about that Lithium AAA)

Darell

Flashaholic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brightnorm:
PS (I'd still love to know about that Lithium AAA)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry. Kidding! I know of no Li AAA currently.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm told that if you want your alkaline cells to last a long time, like "years 'n' years", in storage that you should freeze them. Just let them thaw normally before using them.

Another thing I learned was that for heavy duty cells you could bake dead ones at something like 120 degrees for an hour to kind of reenergize them for a bit. Let them cool before putting them in your light. But I wouldn't try that at home! Also, who uses heavy duty (yes, carbon zinc!) cells anymore?

remuen

Enlightened
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by darell:
Sorry. Kidding! I know of no Li AAA currently.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Somewhere I read about an Energizer Li AAA (was it L92?). Does anyone know wether this is only a project for a new battery or does it already exist?

Brightnorm, if you really like to stay outside in the cold why don't you take a second ARC AAA (or AAA battery) in your pocket to keep it warm? You can change the ARC's/batteries when ever it's necessary and warm up the other one. Hope your body stays warm!

KenBar

Enlightened
I agree with rumuen....keep the Arc in your pocket/around your neck. It is more of an emergency flashlight anyway..IMHO.. although I am using it every day till the newness wears off..
smile.gif

I put LI bateries in my Eternalight for the winter. Even in an outside pocket it gets so cold the normal batteries just can't cut it.

The only ONE time I took my ArcLe off, other than shower etc, I lost it for over a day. It so aggrivated me that I just don't take if off anymore.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Let's see- -20C = -4F. I'm in the "North Temperate Zone" even though that doesn't seem to mean much. Here on the E coast the lowest temp would probably be about +5-+10F, or more likely slightly warmer (without windchill). By the way, Windchill only applies to people/animals doesn't it? Not to batteries because they're enclosed. The trouble is, when I go up to Canada (rural Ontario) it can get -40 or colder (I don't know if that's C or F). I sure wish they made lithium AAA's!

Brightnorm

Wits' End

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remote NEast Minnesota, next to Lake Superior
I've been wondering about this myself. I often walk 1/2 an hour in the dark at 20-30F below. I've noticed at +10f my Eternalight gets dim quite quickly. I haven't had it for real cold
smile.gif
. I'll update from experience as it occurs. Just ordered an Infinity. I'll use that with a lithium, as I'd rather use 1 $2.00 battery than 3. Any suggestions on inexpensive lithium batteries, maybe from a brick + mortar, rather than mail/internet?

bluegreen

Newly Enlightened
Other than keeping it in your pocket you can always insulate the Arc to keep the cold out. I do this with my camera when taking long exposures of the sky at night. It gets wrapped in a woolly jumper! NiCd cells do not suffer the cold well at all. I believe at freezing point they are next to useless. Lithium are suppose to be fantasic in the cold. Aircraft that operate in cold conditions use lithium batteries - my dad says the engines just fire up where normal batteries won't.

How cold are you guys talking? According to Duracall its system is good down to -20°C.
http://www.duracell.com/oem/Primary/Alkaline/alkefftemp.asp

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by witsend:
Any suggestions on inexpensive lithium batteries, maybe from a brick + mortar, rather than mail/internet?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Walmart, 4 Energizer L91's, just under ten dollars, forget exact price. Radio Shack, same configuration, $15, the last time I checked which was quite some time ago. Those are the only two stores I've seen carry them but have not tried any specialty/camera shops. Eveready L91s are the only known manufactured lithium AA's.