Hypothetical ? on McLux 1 x123

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
If you had a Black McLux 1 x 123 body, what would you put on the business end of it?

Style of Head? [Original McLux, PR, PR-T, other?]
Optic? [Fraen, Reflector, other?]
Driver Circuit [DD, BB600 ... other?]
LED? [R2H, TWAK, 5W]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

tylerdurden

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original black mclux head is the way to go. A black L1 head with a modified eCan would be my second choice. A PR-T isn't bad either, but I think they look a little funny on the 1x123 mclux body.

For either the standard McLux head or the L1 head, the IMS reflector seems to be the new favorite.

For the driver, either madmax or badboy will do, depending on your preference. I like the BB500 for 1x123 use.

For the emitter, any Lux III will do, they're all pretty much the same as far as I can tell. Or you could try a Lux V (only with the Badboy driver). I haven't seen any reports of the Lux V with the IMS reflector.

balrog

Enlightened
Easy. Black McLux PR-T head with a BB650. Good for about an hour with stock E2e like performance. However, if it is going to live in your pocket, go with the black modded L1 head as tylerdurden said. See this thread.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like balrog said, BB650 with a PR-T. Get the head now and, if a good spot is your thing, enjoy one of the longest throwing led beams out there. I pocket a PR-T and don't find it too bad. Later on, buy yourself an E1e and a two stage switch for real versatility.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Flashlight OCD,

As a result of your inquiry, below is a McLux original with BB611 hosted on a 1x123 McLux power pak and sporting a proto sample so17xa reflector. Certainly this head puts out more light on 2x123 but it does function on the 1x123.

LuxIII-5W.jpg

More info HERE.

OT, let me know if you think you want this head. Got to run now....

Oh yeah, there is a subtle donut in the beam with the 5W but I have seen much more distinct donuts in some of the KL4's. All in all, I think this is the best, non KL4, solution for a 5W in a 1" OD head that I have seen. Actually, the KL4 is a bit larger than 1" in OD.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Don ... Sold /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

[ QUOTE ]
richpalm said:
1X123??? You'd sell it to me:). Got a black head just begging for one!

Rich

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry Rich,

You would have to be a very rich Rich to pry this one away from me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Don sold me the BB611/5W/IMS reflector McLux style head that is pictured in the post above.

I had a few minor problems with the Kroll switch that were completely unrelated to Don's craftsmanship and after resolving those I love this light.

The Original style Black McLux head looks like a work of art when paired with the matching McLux 1x123 body.

The output is just slightly less than that of the TW4 combination. There is a small donut hole, but it is not any worse than what the KL4 produces.

I think reflectors are the future for LED flashlights.

Many thanks to Don [once again] for creating wonderful new innovations for us /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif