Why a flashlight has to be waterproof...

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Hi!

Well I think I have to tell you why I think, a flashlight should be waterproof!

May you know that Im a policeman from Hamburg/Germany.
Some days ago, late at night we had an emergency call.

A guy was trying to rape and suffocate his wife.
Its a long story and we needed four officers to arrest him, becuz he was very violent and pretty strong.

At the end when he was lying at the floor with handkuffs, I had my knee on his neck... the guy had a bloody nose and mouth! I was checking his face with my Flashlight (SureFire Z3, P91) and saw, that he was spitting his blood on my hand and flashlight! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

Damn he was so disgusting! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

When I was back on my policestation, I disinfected my flashlight for 5 Minutes in bath of disinfectant and later in pure water...

The Problem was, that I left my HOLA and batteries in the Light... I know, its not very clever but I had other problems at that time (may he infected me with an ugly virus /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif).

Later I was impressed that my flashlight was waterproof! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif It still works very good and is one of my best frinds during the night...

Good Job SureFire /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif

Take care,

Metin PK42, HCPD

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Metin:

Welcome. A few questions. Did your department buy your SF for you? If not, what do the other officers use, or tend to use? Do you carry an impact weapon? Have you had to resort to a flashlight for an impact weapon?

Thanks from Curious Sotto.

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Hi Sotto,

the regular flashlight in Hamburg is a simple 3D Mag-Lite.
At the Policecars we also have Nite Trackers.
Only commandos like MEK,SEK or GSG9 use SureFire.

The most officers use Stingers, Scorpions, Triad and the Peli M6... its just a wild mix of everything!

I bought my Z3 at Ebay. Now im using a P91 HOLA and I love it... The Z3 brings a lot of safety and domination in dangerous situations!

I also use an A2 with red LEDs as my backup lamp.

In the policecar we use the L1 with red LED to read the Maps or during the transport of suspects. That brings some safety for the driver.

I also have a new ´04 M3 with HOLA, but I dont use it during service, only for training... I already ruined the finish of my Z3 with scratches, when i smashed laminated glass /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dedhorse.gif, so i take care of my M3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you have more questions, just ask me...

Thanks and take care,
Metin

HEK_Hamburg

Newly Enlightened
Yeah right!

Gloves are very important... I use to wear Hatch Nomex gloves, you can see them in the background of my pics... but the situation that night was very dynamic... so there was no time to take on any (latex)gloves...

But you are right! Gloves are one of the most important tools!

Thanks and take care,
Metin

03lab

Enlightened
Hamburg City Police Department maybe? Of course in German it's just plain Polizei Hamburg and besides, the Polizeikommissariat 42 department isn't even really in the city. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif