E-Series Modularity

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Hi all.

I happen to be a great fan of a modular approach to pocket lights. Saves a lot of hard earned cash and is sooo versatile ... and a lot of fun, too.

That is why I am fond of the SF E-Series ... together with some CPF custom productions the possibilities are endless.

I'd like to show all the major players that can be combined with the E-Series lights as a little guide to all those who haven't been around long enough to call themselves veterans yet. This might not be complete and please do not hold me responsible if your particular combo refuses to work! In no way I am a real expert on those things /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am mainly showing the "stock" parts. Please know though that nothing is sacred to our modders … /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1. Surefire E-Series parts ========================================

modular_eseries.jpg

- Elite 1x123 and 2x123 body with bezel-up clip
- Std. 1x123 and 2x123 body w/o clip, not in picture, discontinued
- Z52 LOTC
- Z57 Clicky Tailcap with lockout feature
- Elite Head with hex ring, accepts MN01, MN02, MN03
- Std. Head with attached clip and tear drop marks, accepts the same lamps, but will not fit on elite-bodies and McLux bodies with installed ti-clip (because of the attached clip)
- KL1 LED Head with a 1W HD LED (older models use a LD LED) and NX05 optics driven roughly at spec. Will run on 1x123 and 2x123. Well known mods replace the LED and / or optics and tune the driver for a more impressive output. Ask Chop, CM et al.
- KL4 LED Head, the Head of the L4 flashlight. Runs on 2x123 and unregulated on 1x123 (combo is known as TW4 since Tactical Warehouse sold these first). Uses a 5W LED and a reflector for a flood-like beam. Best known mod is the McL4 by McGizmo that replaces the guts with a 1W HD on a BB600 for more throw.

modular_E2d_parts.jpg

- E2d-Parts: the new guarded tailcap and crenelated bezel with a domed lens. Never seen those in my hands though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

L1 components can be screwed on but are functionally quite different and need some serious modding before using them in this set-up …

2. McLux Parts ========================================

… by McGizmo.

modular_mclux_heads.jpg

- McLux Standard Head as on the initial Turnkey units. Accepts McFlood reflector, NX05 optix and NX01 optics and maybe Fraen LP optics.
- McLux PR with the famous Pelican Reflector for optimum photon management with LEDs so far. Has massive heatsinking capabilities for 5W applications with longer runtimes.
- McLux PR-T, a trimmed version of the PR-Head. Legend has it that the "T" stands for "Turbo" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif

modular_mclux_tails.jpg

- McLux Tails 1x123, 2x123 and 3x123 with a Kroll switch at the rear end and a multi-purpose switch guard as well as a bezel-down clip option.

modular_shoppe.jpg

The single parts and components to build your own McLux light are available at dat2zip's sandwich shoppe.
There you will also find the driver boards to make your light regulated (created by Wayne Y.):
- BadBoy, a current regulated boost driver that can be ordered in various drive levels
- DownBoy, a current regulated buck driver that can accept up to 4x123
- Wizard, a buck-boost driver
- MadMax, a voltage boost driver in various configurations
However, I am not the right person for such technical stuff, you might want to ask someone who knows or visit the appropriate forum.

3. DSpeck Parts ========================================

modular_dspeck.jpg

- UBH (Universal Battery Holder); a 3x123 battery tube that accepts an E-Series compatible head at the front end and the appropriate tailcap at the rear end. Up to the UBH II the KL4 head will not fit!
- Spacers for the UBH: there are battery spacers as shown in the pic as well as an Arc-spacer so that E-Series components may accept the Arc LS Head and a battery tube that allows 2xAA to fit in the UBH. Of course those spacers also work in other bodies just as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
- E2C: an adaptor that joins the E-Series bodies with the C-Series heads for even more possible combos. First made by McGizmo (see below)
- 1x123 and 1xAA Body Extenders for E-Series compatible bodies, e.g. UBH, McLux.

4. Arc LS Series ========================================

modular_arc.jpg

The Arc LS1 and LS2 Head may be screwed on E-Series compatible bodies, but will only work with DSpeck's appropriate "Arc-Spacer" to compensate for the length of the battery. This head will not fit on bodies with shoulders, especially the SF Elite bodies.

The TSP-123 Clicky and P-123 Twisty may only be used with an appropriate adapter (see below) to make a very small E-Series Twisty.

5. Vitalgear Bodies ========================================

modularity_vitalgear_by_kj.jpg

These are twist-bodies for the E-Series heads available under some different names. You have to twist the head to turn the light on. It seems that waterproofness should not be compromised. But as always … YMMV /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

6. Other Parts ========================================

modular_roth.jpg

An adapter to join an Arc Twisty (or TSP-123 if you are so inclined) to an E-Series body. Makes a very short E-Series twisty, watertight.
This one is made by Rothrandir and works like a charm, jtice is being forced into making some more right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif while the original credits go to McGizmo.

modular_e2c_mcgizmo.jpg

E2c McGizmo Style, the original version of the E2C with 2 o-rings and a slightly different form-factor than Dspecks E2C.

What we are waiting for …

modular_mcgizmo_tailcap.jpg

… the famous McGizmo 2-Stage-Tailcap that will upgrade our beloved E-Series lights to the latest technological breakthroughs by making 2 brightness levels available. Soon … /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

Some Modular Examples:

modular_var1.jpg

modular_var3.jpg

modular_var2.jpg

so … modularity is cool. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Almost all of my serious small lights fit in this modular concept right now. The more parts I got, the more fun I have /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/party.gif …

bernhard

EDIT:
vitalgear pic stolen from kj
McGizmo tailcap pic stolen from McGizmo
E2d pic taken from TafGear bigger photo
--> if one of those gentlemen would like his pic removed from this post, please contact me and I'll comply asap.

Fitz

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW! Thank you for taking the time to post all that info! A 1 stop droolfest of flashlight goodness!

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dang Bernhard! That's cool! Great contribution here! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif More wigetry is on the way! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

sidespill

Enlightened
wonder why there doesn't seem interest for a 2x123 twisty or a pila twisty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif and did Vital Gear ever make one?

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
Bernie,

You sure like to *screw around!* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's quite a collection(!) and and the pictures should be very useful for the newer members.

Larry

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
The pictures are useful for older members, too. I got some new ideas looking. Thanks Bernhard.

Paul

14C

Enlightened
That is just too cool. The post ought to be a sticky somewhere for reference purposes.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
wait! there's more! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

great wrightup german! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
hopefully more options will present themselves eventually /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14C

Enlightened
Yeah...he heeds some CNCs.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Or do those fit the E-series heads?

bald1

Enlightened
Kiessling,

Sir, what a fantastic service this post is! You're absolutely correct in thinking that some of us who are new to CPF are confused a bit about what can fit with what. Or for that matter who makes what for what /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I truly appreciate the time and effort taken to put this together. If the moderators haven't said "make it a sticky", that's certainly my put!

Best!

--Bob

lightemup

Flashaholic*
EXCELLENT POST! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif from the owner of a E1e, E2e, and L4.

For me I learned a lot particularly in terms of the modders offerings /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif

Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
Excellent post Kiessling! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I am a huge fan of "hot swapping" parts also, Makes all the lights SOOO much more versatile this way.

I started to make a "spy kit" will all my parts, but that got alot larger than my Pelican case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is very nice of you to be doing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I think your collection is just cool, really cool. Now that I am inspired...I am going to be having flashlight fever thinking about what to collect for my modular set /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Terrific post, Bernhard! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Very helpful and illustrative. Thanks a bunch /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Britt

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bravo /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

Someone give that man a fish...and then Sticky his post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

Flatscan

Enlightened
Great post! Thanks for writing this up.

I noticed that the E2+ modified head isn't included, but it is an incandescent accessory, so it doesn't really fit in with all those Luxeons.

Atomic6

Flashlight Enthusiast
E2D-PR1.jpg

E2D-PR2.jpg

Here is another example of the E-series Modularity: A composition that I call the E2-Defensless /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Well, that's not really fair, as the LuxIII LED driven very hard makes for a great tactical defender too. It is really nice when the factory finishes closely match the modder's finishes. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

darkzero

Flashaholic* ,
Bernhard, nice work, awsome post!

Atomic, nice head. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Kiessling

Flashaholic
thanx for those kind words, guys! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Flatscan, the E2+ is not there becasue it is a modded standard head and not a seperate offering. There are a bunch of such mods liek the McGizmo Cyan E1e, the Opalec E1e in one of the last pics etc.
I tried to limit this post to "stock" parts ... otherwise it would be 3 miles long. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hey Roth, something up your sleeve? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/evilgrin07.gif
Me wants to know ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif

bernhard

flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/clap.gif

A big Danke to Herr Kiessling for this wonderfully enlightening information! Clears up things for muddlehead newbies like me. (and makes me want to spend more $ /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/broke.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Sticky please! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/buttrock.gif