Output, throw, runtime, battery type, or size?

mapet

Newly Enlightened
Output, throw, runtime, battery type, or size?
What is more important to you guys?

PS. HI to all as it is my first post.

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
mapet,

Welcome!

You will find various answers to your question, but I think most here would say "it depends". It depends on the environment, if you will have other lights on you, what the situation is, etc.

Again, welcome to CPF!

Aloha

mapet

Newly Enlightened
For me the most important factors are:
1. runtime
2. size
3. output

I do not care about the throw and batteries are les important. For these reasons my favorite lights are CMG infinity ultra, ARC AAA and ARC LSL ( regulated at 200mA – it runs 4h) .

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello mapet and welcome to the CPF. Hope you enjoy the site.

I'm with BigHonu in that "it depends." My needs vary and so do the lights that I choose for different tasks.

My EDC, however, is always an Arc AAA in the pocket and a coin cell microlight on the key chain. I will supplement those two with additional lights if I anticipate needing more.

maverick

Enlightened
Yes it really does depend. And not only "on the person", much more important is the intended task and environment. And welcome to CPF!

Bill.H

Enlightened
Welcome to CPF! After you've been here a while you'll learn that the proper way to do it is to buy both lithium and alkaline powered lights, both small and large, both rechargeable and disposable (battery), for each of your other 3 requirements. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Once you have the basic 2 dozen, you can specialize /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends!
With a light for your keychain, my priorities go this way:
1. battery type
2. size
3. output
4. runtime
5. throw

I prefer an Arc AAA for it's battery type, size and output.

My minimag running a high binned R2H luxeon at 1.65 watts has other priorities.
1. Output
2. battery type (NiMH AAs)
3. size
4. throw
5. runtime

The second R2H I have is on my bicycle helmet for riding at night:
1. Output
2. Throw
3. Size
4. runtime
5. battery type

The R2H Mag 2D that runs at 2.4 watts and is my frame mounted bike light has slightly different priorities
1. Throw
2. Runtime
3. Output
4. Battery type
5. Size

Generally, I use 4 flashlights everyday, two of them are the lighting system for my recumbent (cops love my lights) My other lights are for camping, deploying to other countries around the world, lighting for magnifying optics and backup spares.

As you can tell, it all depends on what your needs are. My batteries are NiMH AA and D cells and alkaline AAA and D cells. Imagine burning lights for a bicycle 5-7 hours a week with three lithiums in a Surefire... Can't get lithiums overseas easily so for my needs, battery type is critical in all my lighting uses.

Welcome to the CPF, just know that your wallet will grow gradually thinner as time presses on. Enjoy!

Latest posts